Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opening A Daycare In Texas
My Nana 03:12 PM 02-15-2013
My daughter and I are in the process of buying a home to be used a daycare center. We just realized that there is a liquor store on the next block. It is not directly by it. We are in a side road whereas the liquor store is on the main highway. How many feet does the daycare have to be from the liquor store?
Starburst 03:31 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by My Nana:
My daughter and I are in the process of buying a home to be used a daycare center. We just realized that there is a liquor store on the next block. It is not directly by it. We are in a side road whereas the liquor store is on the main highway. How many feet does the daycare have to be from the liquor store?
I don't know if their is an acutal city/state ordenance about that you would have to be a certain amount of feet from one- though some things do have rules about what the permiting zones are for the area- maybe ask you local department of social services (or licensing) to see if their are any zoning/ordinences about it.
Blackcat31 03:40 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by My Nana:
Since each state has it's own laws, you are best to get the information directly from your area's licensing agency.

You can find the contact info to your state here: https://www.daycare.com/texas/
Chuckles 11:18 AM 03-03-2013
I don't believe there is a law when it comes to day cares and liquor store proximity, only public schools. You would however need to check with the city the house is in to see if it is zoned for day care purposes. There was recently an issue with a day care center that the health department declared not for use as a day care and they had to close. Most residential homes do not meet city codes as far as sanitation and fire codes go. Good luck.
Thetotspot 12:46 PM 03-04-2013
I live in nebraska...and...um...our daycare shares a wall with the town bar! Eek. I was nervous at first but they dont bother us and we dont bother them and so far so good. I onstalled a keycode access to our front door and we keep our back door locked so as we dont have to worry about somebody stumbling in here on accident looking for another drink and becoming irate. But i am licensed and My inspector does know about the bar next dooe...and there used to be a preschool here for years so its passed inspections repeatedly. Anywyas...your licensor would know for sure. And obviously if your state is fine with it, just keep in mind any safety concerns you have and find ways to address them (ie limiting access with key code locks, etc).
Tags:regulations, texas
Reply Up