Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Gonna Happen Sister!!!
sassysue 07:35 PM 11-17-2011
The daycare closes at 5:30p.m.-

Tonight I had plans with a friend so as soon as I get off work I take a quick shower and head out for dinner and a movie. I just got home and there's a message from a new daycare client. "Hello, I just wanted to let you know that I'll be there a little early tomorrow, around 6a.m."
The @#%^ you will!!!!!!

People are starting to iritate me, don't TELL me what you're going to do
You want to come an hour before my opening time you need to ask and have approval. So now I can just see her banging on my door in the morning. I will not be opening it
Can you tell I'm mad?
Lucy 07:39 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by sassysue:
The daycare closes at 5:30p.m.-
Tonight I had plans with a friend so as soon as I get off work I take a quick shower and head out for dinner and a movie. I just got home and there's a message from a new daycare client."Hello,I just wanted to let you know that I'll be there a little early tomorrow,around 6a.m."
The @#%^ you will!!!!!!
People are starting to iritate me,don't TELL me what you're going to do
You want to come an hour before my opening time you need to ask and have approval.So now I can just see her banging on my door in the morning.I will not be opening it
Can you tell I'm mad?
I would do exactly the same thing. My house would be dark and my door would be locked. Let her bang as long as she wants. *wink* I was in the shower *wink*

Unless you have other family members home at that time. In which case you'd have to call her tonight and tell her you can't do it. I'd text her if you have her cell #

Edited to Add: You showered, had dinner, and saw a movie all in 2 hours????
HeatherJ 07:43 PM 11-17-2011
I know you are mad, but I think you should call her tonight & remind her that the daycare is not yet open at that time and she cannot drop her child off until the daycare is open.
That way you avoid her banging on your door super early
sassysue 07:48 PM 11-17-2011
No, not two hours. It's 10:48p.m. in Michigan.
I can't call her, too late
Lucy 07:50 PM 11-17-2011
No,not two hours.It's 10:48p.m. in Michigan.
I can't call her,too late
Oh, my bad. I just assumed you were in the west. Ok, then either let her knock till her knuckles are raw.. LOL. Or you could put a note on the door saying "DCM, I got your msg too late to call you last night. I am unable to open early today. See you at 7"
beachgrl 07:53 PM 11-17-2011
Did her child attend today before you left to go out to your plans and she didn't say anything at pick up or was her child not in attendance today?

Either way, sounds like she will learn an interesting lesson in the am...as she waits and bangs or sees that you are not open yet. Wow, why would someone think it is okay to call and leave a message telling you what they are going to do when it means dropping off an hour early, not ten min..an hour..that's totally not cool. If you have an hour early arrival, that most likely puts you getting up an hour earlier than normal and people really need to think about what they are doing but they are what I refer to as "oblivious" so that makes it all okay.
sassysue 08:03 PM 11-17-2011
No,her child did not attend today.Here's the kicker,When she was here Wednesday she told me,I will be a little late on Friday so I can do some christmas shopping. She said "I might not make it on time"
She usually picks up at 5p.m.
I told her late as in past your pick up time or past my closing time.She said what's the difference? I said "Well anything past 5p.m. will be a dollar a minute.Anything past closing time will get you a termination paper at pick up.I have feeling tomorrow will be her last day here after this crap!

Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Did her child attend today before you left to go out to your plans and she didn't say anything at pick up or was her child not in attendance today?

Either way, sounds like she will learn an interesting lesson in the am...as she waits and bangs or sees that you are not open yet. Wow, why would someone think it is okay to call and leave a message telling you what they are going to do when it means dropping off an hour early, not ten min..an hour..that's totally not cool. If you have an hour early arrival, that most likely puts you getting up an hour earlier than normal and people really need to think about what they are doing but they are what I refer to as "oblivious" so that makes it all okay.

HeatherJ 08:15 PM 11-17-2011
No,not two hours.It's 10:48p.m. in Michigan.
I can't call her,too late
Ohhh. drats. Yeah, then just leave a note on your door. Nothing else you can do, really.
How rude that she just assumes.
beachgrl 08:20 PM 11-17-2011
oh wow...sounds a bit like the one fam I was having to deal with similar type stuff, so glad to not have to anymore!
cheerfuldom 08:22 PM 11-17-2011
call, text and email her in the morning. then post a paper on your door stating that you got her message and will be available at your normal opening time, not earlier.
Christian Mother 08:25 PM 11-17-2011
Yup, letter on door stating daycare official opens at 7am. NO EARLY ARRIVALS FOR ANY REASON!! I do not except texts or voice mails but verbal agreement on drop off/arrival pick ups. Look on parent handbook for reference.
SilverSabre25 09:34 PM 11-17-2011
yeah there's only one family I'd ever allow that for and that's only because we're contracted for it...and it never happens unexpectedly. We always know at least the day before if dcb will be here that early.

OP I'm sorry she's doing this to you. You need to have a firm talk with her today about respecting your policies.
daycare 09:40 PM 11-17-2011
If she's rude enough to tell you when your going to operate your business ,
I would be texting her at 10pm at night saying sorry,
I need a 48 hour advance notice if you need me to open before my hours of operation. I will not be able to accommodate your request.

Please speak with me about this tomorrow.
mommiesherie 03:53 AM 11-18-2011
Interested to see what happens today with this.
Meyou 04:09 AM 11-18-2011
Wow! She's going to learn the ABC's of signing a contract and then following it today I think.

Good luck OP!
AfterSchoolMom 05:20 AM 11-18-2011
Can't wait for an update! How did it go?

I can't believe she just assumed that you'd be ok with opening an hour early! You could always add to your note, "I'll open this door at 6am for an extra $50, payed up front. Ring the bell if you agree." :P
mismatchedsocks 05:22 AM 11-18-2011
What time do you normally open? Cant believe she thought it would be ok, instead of asking.

This is what I would/and have said. "if you text me, email me, or leave me a message, and I dont answer ASSUME the answer is NO. I will call you back to confirm any changes"
sassysue 05:44 AM 11-18-2011
Daycare opens at 7:00a.m. I called this morning when I got up and told them -If you need a schedule change it needs to be 24 hours in advance and with prior approval,I'll see you at your contracted time(8:30a.m)
She got all crazy"OH my gosh,are you serious? I'm going to be late for my meeting at 8.
Not my problem.This family has been testing me since the day they started.
They've only been here one month and have already been late and paid a hefty fee.Forgot check and paid a fee. I don't think they're going to get it.
I told her that we will re-evaluate her contract and go over a few things in the handbook tonight.
I swear,if she is late tonight all she's getting from me is termination papers.
Get with the program lady!!!!

Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
What time do you normally open? Cant believe she thought it would be ok, instead of asking.

This is what I would/and have said. "if you text me, email me, or leave me a message, and I dont answer ASSUME the answer is NO. I will call you back to confirm any changes"

TBird 09:29 AM 11-18-2011
Daycare opens at 7:00a.m. I called this morning when I got up and told them -If you need a schedule change it needs to be 24 hours in advance and with prior approval,I'll see you at your contracted time(8:30a.m)
She got all crazy"OH my gosh,are you serious? I'm going to be late for my meeting at 8.
Not my problem.This family has been testing me since the day they started.
They've only been here one month and have already been late and paid a hefty fee.Forgot check and paid a fee. I don't think they're going to get it.
I told her that we will re-evaluate her contract and go over a few things in the handbook tonight.
I swear,if she is late tonight all she's getting from me is termination papers.
Get with the program lady!!!!
My theory is that she should have chosen a daycare that met her meeting needs...whether it was before-care or after-care. Don't select my business and THEN try to change my hours of operation. She wouldn't (AND COULDN'T) do that to WalMart or Sears!!!
Ariana 09:46 AM 11-18-2011
OMG!! Wanting to come an hour earlier than you actually open???? The nerve of some people. Does she just call Walmart up and request that they open earlier because she has a meeting? WTF are some people thinking!

I also have contracted hours and my parents are very good about telling me 24 hrs in advance when they need to come earlier or later than usual...however they've never asked for even a minute outside of my opening hours.

Glad you stuck to your guns
countrymom 10:19 AM 11-18-2011
I have had kids come early but its always with my time. So what was she going to do for 2 hours, drop her kid off and then drive around till 8am. Also, I do know that it happens that you get a last minute notice, but she could have called you right away and asked you if the child can come a half hour early. I would be mad if she said that she was going to be late because she had to go to the store, hmm I think not.
Lucy 10:33 AM 11-18-2011
Some parents feel like they've hired a nanny and that we are their employee and have to do what they dictate. They don't get that this is our place of business where we provide the service to them under our rules.
Tags:early arrival, parents - changing things
Reply Up