Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Now working with SO...
coolconfidentme 10:24 AM 09-03-2013
I previously mentioned we were thinking about it & we took the plunge. I had him just observe on Thursday & Friday. Today he got his feet wet, lol. We needed something from the store & he said he had it under control. He urged me to go & leave him with the kids. I got back & it was total chaos & he was still trying to clean up from breakfast. (I was only gone an hour.) The first words outta his mouth were, "You make this look so easy. HELP ME!" I smiled & told him to the kids..., he is the substitute teacher. He needs to be in charge. He said he now gets why reasoning with a 3 year old doesn't work but, "you're not the boss, applesauce" does. I gave him tips I have learned along the way. With time, he will do just fine.

Do you have any tips I can pass along to him?
Familycare71 11:02 AM 09-03-2013
what I would give to have my hubby go through that!!

My tip is : listen to your wife! There is a reason why most things are done the way they are... You have two choices- just do it her way or go through the process--- and end up doing it that way anyway!!

Really hoping you both love working together!
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 09-03-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I previously mentioned we were thinking about it & we took the plunge. I had him just observe on Thursday & Friday. Today he got his feet wet, lol. We needed something from the store & he said he had it under control. He urged me to go & leave him with the kids. I got back & it was total chaos & he was still trying to clean up from breakfast. (I was only gone an hour.) The first words outta his mouth were, "You make this look so easy. HELP ME!" I smiled & told him to the kids..., he is the substitute teacher. He needs to be in charge. He said he now gets why reasoning with a 3 year old doesn't work but, "you're not the boss, applesauce" does. I gave him tips I have learned along the way. With time, he will do just fine.

Do you have any tips I can pass along to him?
Never, ever ever, break routine.

Consistency IS the key.

If you let them once, you will ALWAYS be faced with negotiations and reasons why they can or can't follow the rules.

That is the #1 rule I tell anyone I have sub for me.
Reply Up