Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>11 Months Old Cries All Day, And Is Driving Me Crazy
jenny31052 12:02 AM 10-19-2011
I've been caring for this child for the past 3 months. She cam back Monday from a 3 weeks vacation, and now she cries, and literally scream bloody murder unless I'm holding her AND walking around. If she is on the floor, and I'm busy walking around doing other daycare things she follows me screaming at the top of his lungs. She even throw herself on the floor, and cries so hard that today she went into apnea for almost 30 seconds...
These past 2 days have been hell...
She still doesn't know how to self-soothe AND still requires a bottle to go to sleep, and as soon as the bottle is off her mouth, and I lay her down in the crib, she wakes, and start to scream again. I can't physically hold an 11 months old baby all day long, and today I just let her cry it out, hoping that she will figure out, that she won't be picked up everytime she decide to scream...

I feel awful for my son, and the other kid (2 and 22 months old) who have to listen to her, and today I could tell that when she was crying, they were angry and more agitated...

What would you do in a case like this? I do feel bad letting her cry it out, but she is going to be a year old in less than a month, and still acts like a 6 months old.
Michael 01:44 AM 10-19-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ies+constantly

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ying+-+all+day
Cat Herder 05:58 AM 10-19-2011
1. Communicate with parents
2. Rule out medical causes
3. Put a deadline star on the calendar
4. Work out a plan for resolution
5. If no resolution by deadline, terminate

Group care requires meeting the needs of the GROUP.

Allowing one child to continually detract from the group benefits no one and will put you out of business.
Unregistered 07:06 AM 10-19-2011
I am there too! someone gave me advice that the child really needs to fit well with your family. I have heard it can take up to 6 months for it to stop! I am there as well with my kiddo. I love her but I am going crazy. It may be time to part ways with the child which also sucks.

Heidi
sahm2three 08:33 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by jenny31052:
I've been caring for this child for the past 3 months. She cam back Monday from a 3 weeks vacation, and now she cries, and literally scream bloody murder unless I'm holding her AND walking around. If she is on the floor, and I'm busy walking around doing other daycare things she follows me screaming at the top of his lungs. She even throw herself on the floor, and cries so hard that today she went into apnea for almost 30 seconds...
These past 2 days have been hell...
She still doesn't know how to self-soothe AND still requires a bottle to go to sleep, and as soon as the bottle is off her mouth, and I lay her down in the crib, she wakes, and start to scream again. I can't physically hold an 11 months old baby all day long, and today I just let her cry it out, hoping that she will figure out, that she won't be picked up everytime she decide to scream...

I feel awful for my son, and the other kid (2 and 22 months old) who have to listen to her, and today I could tell that when she was crying, they were angry and more agitated...

What would you do in a case like this? I do feel bad letting her cry it out, but she is going to be a year old in less than a month, and still acts like a 6 months old.
OMG! You and I have the same exact dcg. Except mine just turned 1. She screams from the time she arrives until the time she leaves, unless she is sleeping. And mom told me to just put her in her bed when she throws a fit and let her sleep. She would "sleep" 9 hours out of her 10 hour day if I would let her. But she needs to interact with the other kids, and not stay in a bed all day long. She wants to be held all day long, won't sit in a highchair to eat, just wants her bottles all day long. She is awfully miserable and if we can't make any headway with her by Friday, we are terming her on Friday afternoon. I just have no idea what to do with her. I need to go thru the responses and see what everyone else has to say, but I had to comment right away because I am shocked that there are 2 of them out there! LOL! Good luck to you! Hope we can both find something that works!
cheerfuldom 09:23 AM 10-19-2011
There's a lot more than 2 of these type of kids out there. The all day screamer is super super common in daycares. Dont feel that that means you are doing anything wrong.
risedawn_30 09:45 AM 10-19-2011
I am a studnet at Eastfield College and taking class to opening my own daycare center one day. Dose any one know how I can find an form to apply for a licence to be able run a daycare in Texas
renodeb 09:53 AM 10-19-2011
Take heart, I had a little boy (10 mos old) who was here 3 mos and screamed from the moment mom dropped off til mom picked up. I mean screamed. After 3 months I had to term him. He was very unhappy, miserable is a better word for it. My other clients dubbed him the baby that was always crying. I was so glad when he left.
Mom admitted to always holding him toward the end of his stay with me, never letting him self entertain or self sooth. It was almost sad.
We cant be all things to all kids. I would set a target date and stick to it. A child like that can really change the mood of the whole group.
Debbie
Elaine 10:01 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am there too! someone gave me advice that the child really needs to fit well with your family. I have heard it can take up to 6 months for it to stop! I am there as well with my kiddo. I love her but I am going crazy. It may be time to part ways with the child which also sucks.

Heidi

I picked up a child who was termed from a provider friend of mine. A 1 year old who was constantly held, if she so much as wimpered mom and dad reacted. They did all the parenting mistakes to make her the child no one wanted. I knew if I dropped her, the cycle would continue. So I worked with the mom and let her know that she would need to be in a pnp when she had screaming fits and when she stopped she could join the group. Took 6 mths but she learned poor behavior would not be rewarded.
Tags:cio, cries constantly, crying - all day, group, provider - burnout risk, provider responsibility, screamer
Reply Up