Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Schoolager Rates
mac60 04:49 AM 02-09-2012
Just wondering, is $40 per week too high for a before/after school child. Approx 30/40 min in morning and 1 hour to 1.25 hours after school.

I am kind of looking at it that I need to make it worth my while on this. I am not sure about BK, if he will eat at home or not, but definitely will be giving a snack after school.

I talked with the mom yesterday, and she said she was at the Y and was paying about $5 per hour. Really, that comes out to approx $10 per day. I would think a parent would think it was worth $10 per day to have a safe place for your child before and after school. Parents want our services for little or nothing.

So, is $40 per week a fair price for B/A school care? No school days would be additional fee per day.
morgan24 04:55 AM 02-09-2012
I just let a school age boy go and I wouldn't do school age again unless I'm well paid for it. I was getting $2.50 an hour, which is typical for my area. I wouldn't do another one for less than $50.00 a week. I don't think your $40.00 is asking to much.
momofboys 05:02 AM 02-09-2012
I think your rate is VERY reasonable & maybe too much so. I charge $10/day & for one child they are only here after school for 1.5 hrs. If there is a school delay or early release my rate is $15/day - I'd charge $20 for all day. I'm in your state also. HTH!

Jana
AfterSchoolMom 05:05 AM 02-09-2012
I charge $16 per day for B/A.... I wouldn't have a SA here for less than $50 or $60 per week, regardless of number of hours. They're more work than littles!
mac60 05:10 AM 02-09-2012
I agree with being more work. We have some of the lowest dc rates in the US. With schoolagers, I have never charged more for delays, just makes the bookkeeping easier for me. I actually thought about $45 per week, but thought that might be high for our area, so decided on $40. I haven't told her any price yet. Maybe I need to call the centers to find out their rates.
Lianne 06:13 AM 02-09-2012
I'm in Canada. I charge $10/day for before OR after school care and $15/day for both. I charge $30/day (my drop in rate) for a day of care when needed
momma2girls 06:55 AM 02-09-2012
When I had school age children, before and after school a yr. ago. I did $50.00 for before and after school and $25.00 for one or the other a week. This to me was definately not worth it!!! All of the children, were bringing in extra germs, coughing, fevers, vomiting, etc... I didn't feed breakfast at all. They can eat before they leave the house. I don't serve breakfast for daycare children any longer, just an early am snack at 9am- 9:30am.
Then you have the children, if there are late starts, early outs, all day, when there isn't any school!!
Be prepared for all of this!!
I think if I had anyone call again on before and after school- I would make it clear to them, I will only do the before and after school only. No early outs, late starts, all days outs, etc.... and go up on the rates, to maybe $60 or $70.00 for both and like $35.00 for one or the other.
I have all teacher's children now, and some days I would be out on a walk and the children would have early outs, etc... it's not my responsibility to find someone in case of early outs, late starts, or all day outs!! UGHH!!!
IT truly was a pain in the BUTT!!!!!
PitterPatter 07:06 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
Just wondering, is $40 per week too high for a before/after school child. Approx 30/40 min in morning and 1 hour to 1.25 hours after school.

I am kind of looking at it that I need to make it worth my while on this. I am not sure about BK, if he will eat at home or not, but definitely will be giving a snack after school.

I talked with the mom yesterday, and she said she was at the Y and was paying about $5 per hour. Really, that comes out to approx $10 per day. I would think a parent would think it was worth $10 per day to have a safe place for your child before and after school. Parents want our services for little or nothing.

So, is $40 per week a fair price for B/A school care? No school days would be additional fee per day.
It's more than fair in my opinion.

I charge $20 per day for anytime over 4 hours. Anytime under 4 hours is 1/2 a day so I drop the cost to $10. I have a school ager that comes from 3-5:30. He fits in that $10 for 1/2 day.

If school is delayed or lets out early price changes if they hit that 4 hour mark and goes to usual $20

I wouldn't want to waste a spot with a school age for anything less that $10. I had a family come along with 3 kids a few years ago. I only had 2 spots if I didn't have a school age taking those 2 hours in the afternoon I could have filled all my spots but I didn't have enough spots so I had to pass on them. That's the only real problem with taking a SA, filling a whole spot for a couple hours a day.
emmajo 07:22 AM 02-09-2012
I love my school-age family! I've had them since the 11 year old was 4 and the 2nd grader was newborn. My before/after school age rate is $80, but they keep giving me raises so now they're up to paying me $110/week each! And more for delays, early release, etc. Plus they're great kids and parents. Now I wish their generosity and good behavior would rub off on all the others!
Texasjeepgirl 07:25 AM 02-09-2012
I think the rate is reasonable... DEFINETLY... don't do it for one penny less than that...
I ALMOST NEVER accept school age kids...they are such a disruption... and when they are out for holidays.. school breaks... where they require all day care... my day is so HECTIC... I just prefer NOT to do it... but .. if you do.. MAKE SURE you charge enough to offset the 'side effects'.....

momma2girls 07:33 AM 02-09-2012
you have to definately make it worthwhile, or it is not worth it!! To me $50.00 or $25.00 is definately not worth it!!
DaisyMamma 08:01 AM 02-09-2012
They are a ton more work than the little ones. The rate depends on where you are though. $40 / week here is way way way too low by about half.
saved4always 08:06 AM 02-09-2012
I don't do anything for less than $10 a day anymore. Anything less is not even worth opening my door to let them in.
Cat Herder 08:19 AM 02-09-2012
Mac, I think so far your rates have lined up with my region...

Here the going rate is $5 a day. ($20 a day for full-time)

Few even bother because they offer it in the public schools WITH snacks, big playgrounds and professional (actual teachers) tutoring and assisting with homework for that price.... I have thought about paying for it JUST for the homework help...AGH!! Junior High Math is killing me...
MrsB 08:38 AM 02-09-2012
my rate is $75 for before or after, $95 for both b&a. That includes food, homework help, late starts, early outs, and up to 2 full days per week. Anything more than 2 full days is a rate of $135 per week.
Meeko 08:39 AM 02-09-2012
My before and after schoolers pay the same as my regular kids. Most of them are kids I've had since they were tiny. Their parents understand that a space is a space PLUS...they expect a place for their child when school is out. They have budgeted the same amount for years, so they just don't think about it. they still drop off and pick up at the same time they did when the child was 2!!!

I am open about it when a small child signs up. Come school time....the fee doesn't change. I know they can go elsewhere for cheaper if they want, but most have stayed with me.

The parents want to keep their kids here and know they have a spot on school hols too.

The only cheaper rates I do is for "tweenies". We use this term for kids who come part-time and understand they must arrive after the schoolie leaves and pick up before the schoolie gets back and that they cannot come during school hols or days off as the schoolie pays full price and has preference for the space. I have several children who are on this schedule.
mac60 09:31 AM 02-09-2012
We have no after school programs except at 2 daycare centers, which are always way more than home care in my area. I think I will tell her $45, to make it worth my while. I personally think it is worth $9 per day to know my child has a safe place to go before/after/no school days. I guess if she thinks it is too high, then oh well. I know how these age of kids eat.

So $45 per week it will be, take it or leave it.....well actually last night she said she would pay anything to get him into a consistent provider.
mac60 09:40 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
I don't do anything for less than $10 a day anymore. Anything less is not even worth opening my door to let them in.
I so agree with this. When I think back, 13 yrs ago when I opened, I charged $35 per week for a schoolager. ***, I need to raise my rates.

In the fall I had a family leave because I told them $55 per week for schoolage care for 2 kids. Their children were 5 and 7 and I had cared for them since infants. They didn't want to pay anymore.
cheeseheadmama 09:41 AM 02-09-2012
I charge $15 for up to 3 hours. The only SA I have right now is only here 4 days so they pay me $60/week for her. The in-school after-school care charges $176 every 2 weeks whether they are there or not, so they are getting a bargain, even though the parents don't think so....
mac60 01:13 PM 02-09-2012
I called 2 local centers to get their schoolager rates.

Center 1: B/A school is $55 wk, no school days are $25, 2 hr delay add $4, 3 hr delay add $6, Summer program is $105 per week.

Center (Y): B/A school $50 wk, no school days $24, Summer program $107 per week.

1 hour from here providers get $4 per hour per child, no sib discounts. Crazy how the rates differ.

I will tell her $45 per week, $90 for summer weeks. Add $9 per day for no school days. Will see how that goes.
Tags:school-age
Reply Up