Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>6 Month Old Feeding Issues and Constipation
Unregistered 07:12 AM 07-23-2013
I have a 6 month old baby that I have been watching since she was about 6wks old. I have her M-F 7am-530pm so she is in my care most of the time.

She has had issues with constipation since I have started watching her. Her parents switched her to Similac Sensitive formula when she was 2 months old. It seemed to help but she still only had a BM every few days. She never has been regular. For a while she would throw up a lot but in the last couple months that has pretty much quit happening.

Her parents started her on solid foods at about 5 months at home. About 3 weeks ago they asked me to start giving her Rice Cereal, then after a few days asked me to give it to her 2 times a day. I told them that I wasn't sure if giving her cereal 2 times a day was a good idea since she has issues with constipation. Last week they took her for her check up and then told me that the doctor says she needs to eat solids 3 times per day and add fruits.

The problem I am having is, she doesn't really want to eat the food. Her mother told me that I should tease her to get her to laugh cuz then her mouth is open and she'll eat it easier. Also, in between solid feedings she is only getting 2-5 oz tops all day because she refuses to eat the formula now. Even if she hasn't eaten for 3 hours, she still wont eat much formula.

The last couple days she is having a really hard time with constipation and having very small and hard BMs.

I've asked her parents what the doctor thinks but the mother keeps repeating that the doctor said she needs more solids but Im not sure what to do at this point. And on top of it all, they act as if Im doing something to make their baby sick.

Suggestions??? Thank You!
Willow 08:01 AM 07-23-2013
Get doctors recommendation in writing.

If it's a legitimate recommendation and not one mom and dad just invented then have them sign an acknowledgement letter detailing the concerns you've had. Make sure to add that despite your concerns they are still requesting you feed her the way they and her doctor have sorted, emphasize you are not liable for any short term, long term or permanent health problems it causes (megacolon, fissures, bowel obstructions or internal organ damage).

Both parties need to sign it and then give them a copy.

Your only other option would be to term.
Dragonfly 08:16 AM 07-23-2013
That's a hard one...you want to care for an infant exactly the way the parents wish, but if you know it's not the best thing for the baby what do you do? I personally think rice ceral twice a day is too much. I would just feed lots of veggies and fruit, with cereal once a day. Prunes and prune juice really do work on the constipation. My son had problems with it when he was a baby and I tried all the things the dr said...nothing was working. I started putting 1-2 oz of prune juice in every bottle and it worked. I aslo discovered by accident that the liquid formula didn't cause constipation compared to the powdered formula.

Maybe you could find and print some info on feeding a 6 month old. They still need mostly breast milk or formula at this age. I'm sure you know! The amount of solid food they get at 6 months is so little and feeding them is pretty much for 'practice'.
Dragonfly 08:17 AM 07-23-2013
I agree with Willow!
AllDeezBabies 12:05 PM 07-23-2013
Are you on the food program? I ask this because they generally have strict guidelines as to what to feed infants. That would be a good reason to get her to slow down on pushing solids. I really do think it's too much for the little hunny bun and this is coming from a mother standpoint. I understand why she's constipated.

If the parents require any special diets outside of what the food program requires, she would need to bring a Dr. statement. In the meantime try apple or cranberry juice. That always gets my love bugs running.
Cat Herder 12:15 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by AllDeezBabies:
Are you on the food program? I ask this because they generally have strict guidelines as to what to feed infants.
That is where I was going as well... Even if you are not on the program you are "encouraged" to follow the guidelines. Print them off, give them to Mom. Sometimes having the ".Gov" on the information you are already giving helps drive the point home.

Also, pureed (boiled) prunes mixed with blueberry buckle (jar food dessert) works well. Most infants love blueberry (or even strawberry) buckle and the flavor is strong enough to cover the bitter aftertaste of prunes.
Cradle2crayons 12:45 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by AllDeezBabies:
Are you on the food program? I ask this because they generally have strict guidelines as to what to feed infants. That would be a good reason to get her to slow down on pushing solids. I really do think it's too much for the little hunny bun and this is coming from a mother standpoint. I understand why she's constipated.

If the parents require any special diets outside of what the food program requires, she would need to bring a Dr. statement. In the meantime try apple or cranberry juice. That always gets my love bugs running.
Also explain to the parents that SOLIDS doesn't necessarily mean RICE CEREAL. And it could be if they are giving rice cereal at home they are giving more than e recommended amount for age and likely more than a quarter cup at a time which is WAY WAY more than recommended for age.

Educate parents that solids are fine, but choose non constipation solids.
Unregistered 10:59 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 6 month old baby that I have been watching since she was about 6wks old. I have her M-F 7am-530pm so she is in my care most of the time.

She has had issues with constipation since I have started watching her. Her parents switched her to Similac Sensitive formula when she was 2 months old. It seemed to help but she still only had a BM every few days. She never has been regular. For a while she would throw up a lot but in the last couple months that has pretty much quit happening.

Her parents started her on solid foods at about 5 months at home. About 3 weeks ago they asked me to start giving her Rice Cereal, then after a few days asked me to give it to her 2 times a day. I told them that I wasn't sure if giving her cereal 2 times a day was a good idea since she has issues with constipation. Last week they took her for her check up and then told me that the doctor says she needs to eat solids 3 times per day and add fruits.

The problem I am having is, she doesn't really want to eat the food. Her mother told me that I should tease her to get her to laugh cuz then her mouth is open and she'll eat it easier. Also, in between solid feedings she is only getting 2-5 oz tops all day because she refuses to eat the formula now. Even if she hasn't eaten for 3 hours, she still wont eat much formula.

The last couple days she is having a really hard time with constipation and having very small and hard BMs.

I've asked her parents what the doctor thinks but the mother keeps repeating that the doctor said she needs more solids but Im not sure what to do at this point. And on top of it all, they act as if Im doing something to make their baby sick.

Other responses are good...however, Similac Sensitive is a lactose free product, still contains dairy. Possibly, dairy is the issue, and child may need a dairy-free product.
Unregistered 06:09 PM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Baby is only 6 months and new recommendations show solids 6+ months to be better. It takes time for babies to get used to new things, new foods. I'd try some things like applesauce, apple juice, prunes/prune juice, etc and see if that helps. If not, and since the baby has had this problem all along, I'd have her looked at. My son has Hirschprungs' and is now 6yo on all kinds of laxatives and has trouble pooping still and sometimes they are so large, they hurt him and make him bleed. You don't want it to get that bad (I did not know he had it til over 1 yo). This is a congenital issue and testing must be done to confirm. If it's not that, and it is truly just diet, adjustments must be made.
Tags:constipation, infant - meals
Reply Up