Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Med Policy Change... Need Feedback Please!
3kidzmama 08:37 PM 10-05-2011
After reading the thread on the over medicated baby, I have reconsidered my policy on meds and have decided to no longer give meds at all. I don't want the liability. This is the notice I plan to give out:

Notice of Policy Change:

Effective immediately, no medications of any kind will be given at *** daycare. This includes all prescription and over the counter medications.
This change is due to increased risks involved in giving medications and increased liability which we are unable to accept. Please respect this policy and do not ask for an exception.*
Please note: the ONLY exception to this policy will be for children who require the use of an inhaler for breathing issues.*

Should I add anything? Remove anything?
Crystal 08:48 PM 10-05-2011
I think it is reasonable to allow prescription meds. Do you really want to rule out caring for any medical or special need condition?

I do agree with refusing to dispense any over-the-counter meds without a written prescription.
3kidzmama 08:58 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I think it is reasonable to allow prescription meds. Do you really want to rule out caring for any medical or special need condition?

I do agree with refusing to dispense any over-the-counter meds without a written prescription.
Hmmm, can you give an example where providers dispensing prescription would be necessary (other than the inhaler, which I stated would be allowed)?
I'm thinking if a child is ill they shouldn't be here anyway. The only thing I can come up with is maybe ADHD meds that require a midday dose.
What about maybe adding a clause that the parent is welcome to come and give the meds themselves? I just don't want the liability. If I don't give it, then I'm not liable, right? Maybe have them sign when they give the meds and a date? What do you think?
daycare 09:27 PM 10-05-2011
I would state in you PHB that if a child is on medication, the parent MUST personally hand you the meds, along with doctors diagnosis, treatment plan and all parents must sign permission to administer form each and every time their child gets put on a new medication. Also NO over the counter medications will be given at daycare without a doctor’s diagnosis and treatment plan plus all of the above.

Works for me always
Jenniferdawn 10:16 PM 10-05-2011
A child would need to be on antibiotics for something long past the point they are contagious. That might be another time you would need to consider giving meds...
daycare 10:24 PM 10-05-2011
I have an illness which has always required me to take medication 3x a day. So therefore if I were a child I could not attend your daycare.

However, I understand your desire. It is a big liability.
It's your business and your choice how you want to run it.
TwinKristi 01:56 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
A child would need to be on antibiotics for something long past the point they are contagious. That might be another time you would need to consider giving meds...
Yeah, some meds need to be given 3-4x a day for 7-10 days which is well beyond the point of contagiousness or symptoms. I personally don't mind giving Rx meds if its during my hours of care and with a dr's note and appropriate forms signed. OTC meds I can see refusing and it's not something I typically do anyway.

Another thought, what about Epi-Pens? Are you going to refuse those too? Those are life-saving and a lot of kids need them.
GotKids 06:56 AM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would state in you PHB that if a child is on medication, the parent MUST personally hand you the meds, along with doctors diagnosis, treatment plan and all parents must sign permission to administer form each and every time their child gets put on a new medication. Also NO over the counter medications will be given at daycare without a doctor’s diagnosis and treatment plan plus all of the above.

Works for me always

This is what is required for our public school as well. If we want our child to have tylonol at school I have to send a drs note with the bottle of medication "I" hand to the nurse. No note means I have to go to the school to administer myself.
Leigh 06:42 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
Hmmm, can you give an example where providers dispensing prescription would be necessary (other than the inhaler, which I stated would be allowed)?
I'm thinking if a child is ill they shouldn't be here anyway. The only thing I can come up with is maybe ADHD meds that require a midday dose.
What about maybe adding a clause that the parent is welcome to come and give the meds themselves? I just don't want the liability. If I don't give it, then I'm not liable, right? Maybe have them sign when they give the meds and a date? What do you think?
A child who needs insulin, epilepsy medications, inhalers in some circumstances, basically any medications used to treat a condition that could be considered a disability. In my understanding, a provider may not refuse to give medications used to manage a disability, nor refuse to care for a child that requires them if the decision is based on the need for meds.
Cradle2crayons 06:59 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
A child who needs insulin, epilepsy medications, inhalers in some circumstances, basically any medications used to treat a condition that could be considered a disability. In my understanding, a provider may not refuse to give medications used to manage a disability, nor refuse to care for a child that requires them if the decision is based on the need for meds.
Yep. I have a daycare child on Zantac, Amiodorone (heart condition), breathing treatments (lung damage from heart failure at birth), antibiotics occasionally (she has to be on them for WEEKS sometimes). Not to mention constant topically.

Her little infant brother is on Zantac also.

I have a very detailed physician form to be filled out every time a medication is dispensed and if a dr recommends an OTC med he fills that out or the pharmacist can fill it out with detailed instructions, dosages, reasons for administration etc and side effects to be expected.

Living down here with allergies and asthma so very high, if I refused to keep kids who were on meds I would be in the poor house.

But I don't just give meds for the heck of it though.
Unregistered 08:50 AM 10-15-2013
I refuse to give medications of any kind, if child needs meds they need to stay home, I don't want to take chances with the children's health and then be on the evening news.
Maria2013 10:37 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:

I just sent out a memo to make parents aware that as of now, I no longer administer over the counter meds to children under 2yr
I wish I could say I don't want to administer any but as you said if I did that my daycare would be empty more times than not
MarinaVanessa 01:32 PM 10-15-2013
I don't administer medications either. other than topical products I don't have anything in my policies about exceptions. I do this because I don't want clients to start asking me for a bunch of reasons why I should make an exception for them when it's not necessary (one example, I had a client with a little boy that believed whole hearted that everything required antibiotics. DCB was given so much since so little that they stopped working on him and later he repeatedly got chronic earaches and DCM wanted me to administer antibiotics when she could just as easily give them at home) but if a client has a need due to some type of special need I can make the decision to make an exception if I like (I do have a DCG with allergies to ALOT and asthma so I made an exception for an inhaler and epi pen)

Here is what I have:

Medication
The childcare provider will not administer any type of medication at daycare. This includes prescription and non-prescription medication. If a child needs medication of any kind a dosage schedule must be set up that does not include the hours that the child is in care. Clients are required to notify the childcare provider any time that their child is on any type of medication so that we can look out for possible reactions to the medication.

Keep in mind that fever reducers and pain relievers do not cure illnesses, they simply mask symptoms. If a child is given any form of fever reducer or pain reliever then this means that the child is not well enough to attend daycare and is required to be kept home for a minimum of 24 hours from the time that the last dosage was given.

Do not send a sick child to daycare by giving a fever/pain reducer to mask the symptom. The effects of the medication will eventually wear off (usually between 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. if given in the morning) and it will be apparent to the childcare provider that the child was given medication. In the day care field this is commonly known as the "dope and drop". Giving a child fever/pain reducer and bringing a child to daycare are immediate grounds for termination.

Topical products such as lotion, diaper rash ointment, sunscreen, children’s toothpaste, etc. are the only exception but require written consent. Topical products must be provided by the client in unopened and original containers and labeled with the child’s name and must remain at the daycare at all times.

Tags:medication - policy, sick policy
Reply Up