Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Markers
MissAnn 04:27 PM 09-10-2011
Please tell me if you have a great idea for markers. I have several new kids who have never been in a program. They are not putting lids back on the markers. I have gone down to only having a few markers out at a time to make cleanup more manageable until they can handle having more. Still, I'd like to know if you have any marvelous ideas! I like the marker stands that have holes to put the lids and then you just snap the correct colored marker in the lid.....but I've only seen large ones....that hold about 16 markers. I'd love to find on that holds 10....just how many a box of markers come in and is manageable for kids to carry around. I just can't find it. I know you can make them....but I'm not going to do that. I'd mess it up.
VTMom 04:55 PM 09-10-2011
I have a set of markers for each kid. They're bagged with their name on it. It amazed me at how careful the kids were when they were their "own" markers! It has helped my crew and it's nice that they have something of their own.
MissAnn 04:57 PM 09-10-2011
What kind of bags do you use? This might be an idea for me.
Thanks!
Crystal 04:58 PM 09-10-2011
If they do not put the lids back on them, mostly, then they don't get to use them. Not in a mean way, but it's that simple. Give them crayons for a week or two, no markers, and then offer them to them again. Repeat if neccessary. They will get it in time.
Crystal 05:01 PM 09-10-2011
BTW....I have different types of markers, crayons, colored pencils, pens and lead pencils, and lots of paper out and accessible to the children at all times and pretty much at all times there are 1-6 children drawing/writing. When I have an issue with lids on markers - I only limit marker access to the child(ren) who are not putting the caps back on. The rest of the kids still use them.

They do typically learn quickly to replace the caps.
VTMom 05:14 PM 09-10-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
What kind of bags do you use? This might be an idea for me.
Thanks!
I just use plastic resealable sandwich bags and write their names with perm marker. You could use quart bags if you have the larger markers.

I've been thinking about getting canvas tote bags for each child with their name on it so they can store their markers and doodle pads, and maybe adding their own box of crayons, pencils, etc, but I haven't gone forward with it yet. They have access to crayons, pencils, paper, and community markers at all times, but they like their own.
daycare 05:34 PM 09-10-2011
I use pencil boxes and each child had one of their own that contains:

1set markers
1box crayons
1 glue stick
1 safety scissors
1 sheet of stickers replaced after used
2 stamps
1 ink pad
3 paint brushes
1 water color set

Btw pencil boxes are on sale at walmart oght now for $.50
I just got 3 more

If the kids don't take care of their stuff then they don't have anything to use.
Hunni Bee 08:04 PM 09-10-2011
Please tell me if you have a great idea for markers. I have several new kids who have never been in a program. They are not putting lids back on the markers. I have gone down to only having a few markers out at a time to make cleanup more manageable until they can handle having more. Still, I'd like to know if you have any marvelous ideas! I like the marker stands that have holes to put the lids and then you just snap the correct colored marker in the lid.....but I've only seen large ones....that hold about 16 markers. I'd love to find on that holds 10....just how many a box of markers come in and is manageable for kids to carry around. I just can't find it. I know you can make them....but I'm not going to do that. I'd mess it up.
I've tried everything too...I even taped a string to the marker and cap. I finally just used the marker holder and hotglued the caps into it. Only thing that has worked...except that they never put the right marker into the right cap...because the new Crayola markers are black and dont indicate the color on the barrel.

I've heard an easy way to make one...just get a big ball of modeling clay and stick the markers in it and let it dry.
Blackcat31 08:48 PM 09-10-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
If they do not put the lids back on them, mostly, then they don't get to use them. Not in a mean way, but it's that simple. Give them crayons for a week or two, no markers, and then offer them to them again. Repeat if neccessary. They will get it in time.
Same here. It is the same concept Nan talked about in the picking up toys thread. Kids shouldn't have access to things they aren't developmentally able to manage.

Like Crystal said, repeat the cycle of testing readiness. When they can master putting lids back on then they are ready to use markers and can have access to them.
daycare 09:20 PM 09-10-2011
You know I love you and Nan bit I have to disagree
I think that early exposure at the recommended age of the product is necessary. If we don't expose them how are they to learn?

I think that kids are a lot more capable of doing amazing things if we just gave them the chance to try. Just like adults most of the tine they won't perfect things or grasp the concept the first time they are shown.

I have 2 year olds that put caps on markers and 4 year olds that don't. I don't take the markers away, I let them keep the markers in their box and they soon learn that if the caps are left off the markers don't work.

After a few weeks, I will throw out the bad markers of those that ruin them and only give them one marker in their box to learn to care for. If it's success then I will add another marker to the box. The child will usually learn this way thAt they must care for the things they have. If we take it away how will they learn to ever care for them or anything else? To me it's a sense of teaching appreciation and responsibility.
MyAngels 09:20 PM 09-10-2011
When I worked at a center (many years ago) we put plaster of paris in a 8 x 8 cake pan & stuck the marker lids in to create our own marker holder. But nowadays I just do as Crystal and Blackcat suggested & ask the kids who are capable to be responsible & put the lids back on when they are finished.
daycare 09:36 PM 09-10-2011
Sorry I'm on my phone and can't edit my changes from the previous post. Lol
I hope it made sense....
mom2many 12:00 AM 09-11-2011
I wrapped different colored electrical tape around the end of each of the pens in the pkg for each child and labeled a plastic pencil box with a small 2 inch piece of this same colored tape with that child's name on it. They were able to identify their pens with the color of tape and it was great for making sure who's pens were whos. I only have 4 kids using markers, so I had one with red, one with white, one with yellow and one with blue.
Meyou 03:43 AM 09-11-2011
I'm the keeper of the markers and they have to pass me a marker with a lid to chose a new one. Everyone has free access to the crayons, pencils and colored pencils but markers not so much.
MissAnn 05:52 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think that early exposure at the recommended age of the product is necessary. If we don't expose them how are they to learn?

I think that kids are a lot more capable of doing amazing things if we just gave them the chance to try. Just like adults most of the tine they won't perfect things or grasp the concept the first time they are shown.

I have 2 year olds that put caps on markers and 4 year olds that don't. I don't take the markers away, I let them keep the markers in their box and they soon learn that if the caps are left off the markers don't work.

After a few weeks, I will throw out the bad markers of those that ruin them and only give them one marker in their box to learn to care for. If it's success then I will add another marker to the box. The child will usually learn this way thAt they must care for the things they have. If we take it away how will they learn to ever care for them or anything else? To me it's a sense of teaching appreciation and responsibility.
I agree. The kids here are capable, but the majority are new and have been going to grandma's during the day. They are not used to doing things themselves. It's a habit they are quite capable of breaking. They are getting better each day.....with clean up and other routines.
countrymom 06:07 AM 09-11-2011

I have to agree with you. I have lots of 2 yr olds who use markers and are really good but marker lids are very very hard to get on, even sometimes I have a hard time so I don't expect the youngsters to be able to do it too.
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 09-11-2011

I didn't say they weren't ever allowed to use them. I re-check for ability every few weeks or so and when they are ready they can have free access to them. These same kids can use the markers when I am directly involved in the use of them so I can make sure the caps are replaced but I am not ususally directly involved in their coloring. I do not have time to sit and be the marker police. If the kids need that much one on one attention just for using markers, they'll need access to them at home and not my house where I have 10 kids everyday.

I help foster and support responsibility. I am not the sole teacher of those skills. The parents need to play a role in the child's learning as well. I do what works for a group of kids. Same goes for scissors. If I am directly involved, the kids who haven't mastered them can use them but if I am not directly involved with the activitiy, they do not get scissors.

There are plenty of other activities that will help children master putting marker lids on instead of actually using markers.

And FWIW, markers are recommended for age 3 and up so I don't feel one bit bad about not exposing a 2 year old to them.

Daycare~ You have also stated you give each child their own set of markers so if they don't put a cap back on, it is their own marker that is ruined. My markers are communal and it isn't fair if one little guy ruins the blue one for everyone else...kwim?
nannyde 06:55 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I didn't say they weren't ever allowed to use them. I re-check for ability every few weeks or so and when they are ready they can have free access to them. These same kids can use the markers when I am directly involved in the use of them so I can make sure the caps are replaced but I am not ususally directly involved in their coloring. I do not have time to sit and be the marker police. If the kids need that much one on one attention just for using markers, they'll need access to them at home and not my house where I have 10 kids everyday.

I help foster and support responsibility. I am not the sole teacher of those skills. The parents need to play a role in the child's learning as well. I do what works for a group of kids. Same goes for scissors. If I am directly involved, the kids who haven't mastered them can use them but if I am not directly involved with the activitiy, they do not get scissors.

There are plenty of other activities that will help children master putting marker lids on instead of actually using markers.

And FWIW, markers are recommended for age 3 and up so I don't feel one bit bad about not exposing a 2 year old to them.

Daycare~ You have also stated you give each child their own set of markers so if they don't put a cap back on, it is their own marker that is ruined. My markers are communal and it isn't fair if one little guy ruins the blue one for everyone else...kwim?
I don't deal with the cap and return thing with markers much because we have an adult sitting there when they are using them. If they can't cap them each use with repeated prompts it just tells us they are done with them and they need to do something else. A few times of getting up from the table and playing with the kids who don't do markers (one and two year olds) then they get they need to do it.

Logical consequences.

I've found that when the first start doing markers they love doing the recap because they like the clicking of it. Once they have done that hundreds of times is when they start getting lazy about it. So it is more common to see the older ones not doing it. By that time they can really get that it leads to the end of the session for them and keep track of it themselves.

I start them at three with them. Any earlier and we have to be too involved in monitoring the caps for mouthing and them coloring the table, their clothes, and themselves. I have them do it when they are old enough to understand that we want paper marking only.

We have free unlimited markers here thanks to one of my moms who supplies us every year so we never run out. We don't leave them out in play so when they do markers they are excited to do it and we rarely have problems. I have one two year old who is running pretty far ahead of the curve so we have sent home a couple of packages of them for home use and her Mom will get her going on them. Once she has some experience at home we will most likely let her onto the table with the biggins.

I NEVER worry about whether or not a child can master stuff like that here. They have at least five waking hours a day with their parents and the most number of kids in the family is two so they have plenty of time in a two adult to two kid ratio or two adults to one kid ratio to get everything they need for their age group. Whatever happens here is just gravy.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't deal with the cap and return thing with markers much because we have an adult sitting there when they are using them. If they can't cap them each use with repeated prompts it just tells us they are done with them and they need to do something else. A few times of getting up from the table and playing with the kids who don't do markers (one and two year olds) then they get they need to do it.

Logical consequences.

I've found that when the first start doing markers they love doing the recap because they like the clicking of it. Once they have done that hundreds of times is when they start getting lazy about it. So it is more common to see the older ones not doing it. By that time they can really get that it leads to the end of the session for them and keep track of it themselves.

I start them at three with them. Any earlier and we have to be too involved in monitoring the caps for mouthing and them coloring the table, their clothes, and themselves. I have them do it when they are old enough to understand that we want paper marking only.
We have free unlimited markers here thanks to one of my moms who supplies us every year so we never run out. We don't leave them out in play so when they do markers they are excited to do it and we rarely have problems. I have one two year old who is running pretty far ahead of the curve so we have sent home a couple of packages of them for home use and her Mom will get her going on them. Once she has some experience at home we will most likely let her onto the table with the biggins.

I NEVER worry about whether or not a child can master stuff like that here. They have at least five waking hours a day with their parents and the most number of kids in the family is two so they have plenty of time in a two adult to two kid ratio or two adults to one kid ratio to get everything they need for their age group. Whatever happens here is just gravy.
Nan~ Although we do the marker thing a bit differently, (because of our different set ups) you did reinforce a few of my points:

"I don't deal with the cap and return thing with markers much because we have an adult sitting there when they are using them"
I do not have an additional adult to be the marker police.

"I start them at three with them. Any earlier and we have to be too involved in monitoring the caps for mouthing and them coloring the table, their clothes, and themselves. I have them do it when they are old enough to understand that we want paper marking only."
Another reason I do not make markers available to kids under three without DIRECT supervision.

"..and her Mom will get her going on them"
Yes, parents can initial plenty of skills with their child. I prefer the role of supporter in many areas.

"They have at least five waking hours a day with their parents"
Which is a good deal of time to be able to experience the marker learning under the direct supervision of a parent. When the skill is mastered, then they get free access while at my house.
nannyde 07:43 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nan~ Although we do the marker thing a bit differently, (because of our different set ups) you did reinforce a few of my points:

"I don't deal with the cap and return thing with markers much because we have an adult sitting there when they are using them"
I do not have an additional adult to be the marker police.

"I start them at three with them. Any earlier and we have to be too involved in monitoring the caps for mouthing and them coloring the table, their clothes, and themselves. I have them do it when they are old enough to understand that we want paper marking only."
Another reason I do not make markers available to kids under three without DIRECT supervision.

"..and her Mom will get her going on them"
Yes, parents can initial plenty of skills with their child. I prefer the role of supporter in many areas.

"They have at least five waking hours a day with their parents"
Which is a good deal of time to be able to experience the marker learning under the direct supervision of a parent. When the skill is mastered, then they get free access while at my house.
Yup... sounds like it's pretty similiar.

I wouldn't consider having them out all the time. I like to have stuff like that be special so when we do it they are all over it. We have SO much stuff here that we can have something different all the time. I like that system better. The stuff they have access to every day are things that require no adult other than general play supervision.
Crystal 12:28 PM 09-11-2011

My children have access to ALL materials as soon as they strt walking. I redirect to have them use materials appropriately. BUT, when it is constant, then they lose privileges. From THAT, they learn that they WANT to take care of the materials so that they can use them again. I teach ppreciation and responsibility by taking things before they ruin them, because I don't wanna be wasteful and keep replacing materials that cost me money.
nannyde 01:19 PM 09-11-2011
My children have access to ALL materials as soon as they strt walking. I redirect to have them use materials appropriately. BUT, when it is constant, then they lose privileges. From THAT, they learn that they WANT to take care of the materials so that they can use them again. I teach ppreciation and responsibility by taking things before they ruin them, because I don't wanna be wasteful and keep replacing materials that cost me money.
Crystal what materials are you talking about when you say "ALL" materials. Considering the fact that most babies start walking between the tenth and fourteenth month... what materials do you allow a ten to fourteen month old to have access to?

I'm not talking about access where your hand is over their hand while they are touching it. I'm talking about access where they freely go to paper, paint, play doh, glue, etc... WITHOUT having an adult holding onto whatever they have.

Are you talking about access where the adult is not physically touching the materials alongside / with the child on a second to second basis of use?
MissAnn 03:09 PM 09-11-2011
This is similar to what I do in my program. I have children ages 3-5 and all materials are out. They become very responsible. They get out what they want to do, and put away when they are done. They know beyond a doubt that playdough stays on the table and we do not mix colors. They know where crayons go and they know not to dump......and if they spill them....they pick them up. These are life skills. I feel these skills are an important part of preschool (My program is a preschool program), just as important as ABC's and 123's. Kids are so much more capable than what we give them credit for at times.

I loved the idea of the individual sets of markers. I wanted to buy pencil boxes at Walmart, but I could not find any. Instead I bought a pencil holder that you put in a binder. Can't remember what they are called right now! They are clear and I will put their names on each one. Natural consequences will occur if they do not take care of their property.

So....we'll see how it goes!
nannyde 04:19 PM 09-11-2011
This is similar to what I do in my program. I have children ages 3-5 and all materials are out.
With your ages the materials are within their age ranges. I'm interested in what materials you can have out for ten to fourteen month olds (new walkers).
Crystal 05:42 PM 09-11-2011
Nanny:

I have ALL materials out....markers, crayons,pencils, paper, play dough, paint, collage supplies, glue, scissors, blocks and accessories, science materials, math and manipulative materials, dramatic play materials EVERYTHING within reach of my walkers. We are actively involved throughout the day in facilitating their work/play and I am completely comfortable allowing my children opportunities to use materials as soon as they are interested. On average, my children are between 12 and 18 months when they begin freely using the art materials. I have NEVER helped a child hold a crayon/marker/pencil/paintbrush. They learn grasping skills at a very young age and if they can hold it, move it to make a mark with it, however light that mark may be, then I allow them to do it. When they first begin using the materials we stay nearby, observing, facilitating and redirecting as needed to teach them the appropriate ways to use the materials....for instance, if they attempt to walk around with markers, we will direct them to sit down with the marker, or put it away....same with scissors, etc. They learn VERY early how to use the materials and as I said before there is ALWAYS at least one but usually a few kids at the writing/art table/area.

It is Emergent Curriculum. It is teaching children based on their interests and their emerging skills. It is acknowledging and honoring that children are quite capable of many things if they are given the opportunity to test out and build their skills.
MissAnn 05:44 PM 09-11-2011
With your ages the materials are within their age ranges. I'm interested in what materials you can have out for ten to fourteen month olds (new walkers).
Oh Lordy! God did not give me the gift or desire to have little ones. I am smart enough to know that. I admire those who can handle all different age groups....but I am not one of them.
Crystal 05:48 PM 09-11-2011
Nanny:

I just wanted to post separately on another part of this.

I realize that there are safety issues with allowing children to have access to these materials. Because I realize those issues, I am HYPER aware of them and am very diligant about having someone directly supervising while children are playing and using materials.

Also, materials are at differing levels, so the littlest children cannot reach the scissors/collage/beads/etc. without an older child or adult getting them down and facilitating/supervising the activity. Those materials are within reach of the preschool aged children and they use them when they choose. At those times, the toddlers might join, and if so an adult supervises.

FTR, I have done it this way for 14 years, and I have never had an issue with it. And, my children are typically writing, without ever using a tracer sheet, by age 3, and writing well by age 4.
mom2many 07:26 PM 09-11-2011
Nanny:

I realize that there are safety issues with allowing children to have access to these materials. Because I realize those issues, I am HYPER aware of them and am very diligant about having someone directly supervising while children are playing and using materials.

Also, materials are at differing levels, so the littlest children cannot reach the scissors/collage/beads/etc. without an older child or adult getting them down and facilitating/supervising the activity. Those materials are within reach of the preschool aged children and they use them when they choose. At those times, the toddlers might join, and if so an adult supervises.

FTR, I have done it this way for 14 years, and I have never had an issue with it. And, my children are typically writing, without ever using a tracer sheet, by age 3, and writing well by age 4.
Crystal, you and I are on the same page with this! I have had children under 2 yo painting and also coloring with markers and crayons for many years without a single incident. They are closely supervised just as you explained. It is truly amazing watching these little ones dip their paint brushes meticulously into the paint and carefully apply it to their paper. I think people sell them short all too often on what they are capable of!

My supplies are kept out of reach of the younger ones and when it is time for them to participate in the activity, they are seated in their booster seats with paint shirts on & cannot get down until they are cleaned up. I think their favorite part is washing up in the big bowl of soapy bubbles! Even the 3 & 4 yo love this part too!

I closely monitor the markers of these younger ones as well. They learn quickly watching the older ones and get the idea of drawing with them and the same holds true for play dough. As soon as they show an interest, they are allowed the opportunity to participate, but never left unattended. It's an important aspect in the learning process.
Crystal 07:55 PM 09-11-2011
Mom2Many - YES! I LOVE observing the children as they paint and explore. I like to play classical music as they paint....watch how they "flow" with the music as they paint.

I do "community style" with the supplies, also. This way they learn to share and to negotiate to get what they want/need. Great life skills!
mom2many 08:15 PM 09-11-2011
Mom2Many - YES! I LOVE observing the children as they paint and explore. I like to play classical music as they paint....watch how they "flow" with the music as they paint.

I do "community style" with the supplies, also. This way they learn to share and to negotiate to get what they want/need. Great life skills!
Absolutely! I cannot agree with you more! I often have them share supplies and it is such a great way for them to negotiate!!!
nannyde 04:41 AM 09-12-2011
Nanny:

I'm not asking HOW you do it. I'm asking with what.

I'm NOT talking about two/three/four year olds. I'm asking specifically about then ten month to fourteen month new walkers.

nannyde 04:47 AM 09-12-2011
Yes that's my experience too. They can write at three and write well at four.

I don't know if that has anything to do with having materials out all the time though because we sure don't.
Country Kids 05:16 AM 09-12-2011
I have crayons, markers, scissors, colored pencils, paper, hole punchers,glue out all the time for the children. Even for the children under two, but the youngest I have ever had was 18 months.

I did have one little one that came (4 years old) who became so wide eyed and excited! When mom asked why, the child replied " Do we get to use markers, crayons, etc."? I told him why yes! His last provider never let them have this kind of stuff was my understanding so he was so excited to see that he was able to do that here. It totally shocked me that this child had never been exposed to this kind of stuff at childcare!
bweir 05:39 AM 09-12-2011
MissAnn
There is a great new product that i found on Drugstore.com of all places that may take care of your marker problem. It's call Snap Cap Markers. There are no separate caps and the markers are the perfect size for the kids. It has a base with built in caps and the markers are easy for the kids to see the colors. I looked them up and their site is www.snapcapmarkers.com I hope that helps!!
countrymom 06:11 AM 09-12-2011
Nanny:

I have ALL materials out....markers, crayons,pencils, paper, play dough, paint, collage supplies, glue, scissors, blocks and accessories, science materials, math and manipulative materials, dramatic play materials EVERYTHING within reach of my walkers. We are actively involved throughout the day in facilitating their work/play and I am completely comfortable allowing my children opportunities to use materials as soon as they are interested. On average, my children are between 12 and 18 months when they begin freely using the art materials. I have NEVER helped a child hold a crayon/marker/pencil/paintbrush. They learn grasping skills at a very young age and if they can hold it, move it to make a mark with it, however light that mark may be, then I allow them to do it. When they first begin using the materials we stay nearby, observing, facilitating and redirecting as needed to teach them the appropriate ways to use the materials....for instance, if they attempt to walk around with markers, we will direct them to sit down with the marker, or put it away....same with scissors, etc. They learn VERY early how to use the materials and as I said before there is ALWAYS at least one but usually a few kids at the writing/art table/area.

It is Emergent Curriculum. It is teaching children based on their interests and their emerging skills. It is acknowledging and honoring that children are quite capable of many things if they are given the opportunity to test out and build their skills.
I do the same thing, I did this with my own children and I still do it with my daycare kids. I also found that by allowing them early access and teaching them properly how to use these tools, no one writes on my walls.
Crystal 07:18 AM 09-12-2011
I'm not asking HOW you do it. I'm asking with what.

I'm NOT talking about two/three/four year olds. I'm asking specifically about then ten month to fourteen month new walkers.

Well, they can reach and do use (never had a 10-12 month old interested really, but it's there nonetheless and yes, I have had 14 month olds interested) crayons, markers, pencils, chalk, etc.
Crystal 07:19 AM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I do the same thing, I did this with my own children and I still do it with my daycare kids. I also found that by allowing them early access and teaching them properly how to use these tools, no one writes on my walls.
YES! No one writes on my walls either. They know the proper way to use them because we teach them from day one.
MissAnn 08:21 AM 09-12-2011
Thank you for all the suggestions. I bought pencil bags and markers for each child. We had a lesson on putting the cap on the top of the pen while using it and practiced different ways to snap the lid back on. I showed them how to only have one pen out at a time. I told them they are their pens to take care of and if they dry out or get lost, they won't have as many colors. They have been doing a wonderful job. My age group is 3-5 year olds...and this was a wonderful suggestion....thank you!
mismatchedsocks 12:17 PM 09-12-2011
No scissors, markers or paint out here. Those are materials that I have to get out. Pencils, crayons, chalk, paper are all in bins that can be accessed all the time. I have a mixed age 5 weeks to 12 years. Never had marks on walls, but I am always right there at art time.

I have seen wooden blocks that have holes drilled in and the marker top glued in it. It still is hard to "click" the top on and I have no problem checking markers as we put them away, as long as they try.

I do art with all ages. From the time they can sit in booster ( 6-8 months) they are included. We paint, draw, everything but scissors with younger toddlers. I find it easier to do this and teach them not to put in mouth, not to write on wall, what to do with paint brush, etc. They will learn from others, and by time they can get free art out themselves they know how to use all items.
MissAnn 04:07 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by VTMom:
I have a set of markers for each kid. They're bagged with their name on it. It amazed me at how careful the kids were when they were their "own" markers! It has helped my crew and it's nice that they have something of their own.
I just wanted to check back in and tell you that this was an excellent idea! I bought pencil pouches....the kind that goes in binders and have a zipper. We had a lesson on different ways to put the lid back on (they like putting the lid on the table and punching the pen into it and listening for the snap). I showed them how to only get out one pen at a time so they will not lose any of them. When I fnd a pen on the ground (after they've gone to another activity) it becomes MY pen. I have a stash. Some of the kids pens have dwindled a bit. On Monday they will have all their pens restored back into their pouches. This is saving me money! I was buying pens constantly because lids were left off. Thank you for the idea!
Tags:markers
Reply Up