Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transportation Question
Momof2Boys 01:01 PM 11-10-2010
I am beginning care in my home and I am coming across one problem...

Transportation.

My oldest son will be starting preschool next fall, and if I care for anymore than one additional child, I won't have the room to take him to school and back (my car holds 3 car seats in the back, and I have two children of my own). I know a bigger car is an option, but what if I can't afford that by then? How do you all deal with this?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions!
Blackcat31 01:36 PM 11-10-2010
I do NOT transport children in any vehicle. If we go on a field trip we walk or hire a bus/van. If your son is starting preschool do you have a friend who can be his transportation? When I was a parent who needed to use childcare for my young children before I started my own, I would not have allowed her to transport my children anywhere. I know some providers do and some don't so it is just a matter of preference but I would see if I couldn't find another parent in your son's preschool who could maybe be his ride.
Abigail 01:18 AM 11-11-2010
Do you have a "helper" or assistant or husband around who can watch the daycare kids while you drive your child to and from preschool or you stay home and they do it?
DancingQueen 03:03 AM 11-11-2010
bigger vehicle

I have a full time spot open and I can't fill it because I won't be able to fit everyone in the van. I have some phoebia about not being able to get in the car and drive somewhere.

We have way too much fun during the summer going to parks and on hikes and in the winter to the library and museums etc...
legomom922 05:28 AM 11-11-2010
I have no problem transporting DC kids, and I have the parents sign a permission slip saying its ok to be in my car. My car only holds a total of 5 including me, and I have 2 kids of my own, so 2 dc kids is my limit anyway on any given day. I take DC kids grocery shopping with me and we go to museums, etc. I would never dream of not going anywhere with DC kids with me. This is teh reason why I do DC anyway, make money and still do what I need to do for my family/home.

I would say get a bigger car only if you can afford one, I cannot, or you have to limit your kids, which is what I have to do.
BentleysBands 05:34 AM 11-11-2010
u take your daycare kids grocery shopping? like for a few items needed for the day or like a whole weeks worth of stuff??

i'm amazed the parents agree to that...IMO

that wouldnt fly here for me but then again i wouldnt want to haul kids to get groceries
legomom922 06:42 AM 11-11-2010
I do my grocery shopping every monday for the week, and yep they go with me, and tehy usually get a little treat too! Whats wrong with that?Parenst love the fact that I make them part of my family and do all the normal things I would do and do with my own. I dont run a preschool, and I have no cirriculum. They learn with everyday life. I even took themto get my flu shot the other day! It's in my contract and everybody is aware I live my life and kids do what I do.
SandeeAR 08:08 AM 11-11-2010
I treat my kids, like they are mine. I can't haul them all with me b/c I have a mustang convertible. I can only get one baby seat in the back, with the front passenger pulled all the way up. So I'm limited on where and when I can go. I do have several days a month, that I only have one child. (all 4 of mine are part time).

Today is one of those days. Mom left the car seat here and when dcg wakes up from nap, we are headed to the store. Come back, it will be nap time again.
AnythingsPossible 08:45 AM 11-11-2010
Does your town have available transportation options for preschool? Our senior citizen center in our town has a senior bus that will also contract to pick up preschool kids if it fits in their schedule. One of our preschool's also contracts with a transportation company to provide a bus for preschool kids. Maybe see if one of the mom's from preschool could do drop/offs pick/ups for you, offer gas money. One of my dcg's is dropped off by the preschool assistant after school as her mom can't get off work. I would look into ways of getting him where he needs to go without getting a bigger vehicle. Bigger car, bigger payment and our income is generally far from reliable. Personally I don't enjoy transporting daycare kids, especially for drop/offs and pick/ups, but that's just me.
momofboys 04:46 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
u take your daycare kids grocery shopping? like for a few items needed for the day or like a whole weeks worth of stuff??

i'm amazed the parents agree to that...IMO

that wouldnt fly here for me but then again i wouldnt want to haul kids to get groceries

Not all providers care for lots of kids. I can understand not doing this if you had 4-5-6 or more kids in your care. I only have one family so since part of my kids & the other family's child is in school I do go to the store sometimes to get a few things, never a full shopping trip though & I only have 2 toddlers here. I try to keep my day as normal as if my kids were home & if that means we must run to the store for 4-5 things then that is what happens.
momofboys 05:01 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Momof2Boys:
I am beginning care in my home and I am coming across one problem...

Transportation.

My oldest son will be starting preschool next fall, and if I care for anymore than one additional child, I won't have the room to take him to school and back (my car holds 3 car seats in the back, and I have two children of my own). I know a bigger car is an option, but what if I can't afford that by then? How do you all deal with this?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions!
That is tricky. What are the ages of your children & those that you watch? Do you have older kids in school? If so I would be a strong advocate of them riding the bus. If your kids are not older you have to start looking at other options. I like the person's idea that suggested trying to get help from another preschooler's parent. Maybe you could ask at orientation before your child starts. You could offer to pay the parent who helps you out too. One other idea, my town is VERY small but there is a family here in town that provides a "taxi" service of sorts. They advertise that they run errands, will drive you whereever & pick up kids from school. Maybe someone around you offers that also?
care-care 05:43 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I have no problem transporting DC kids, and I have the parents sign a permission slip saying its ok to be in my car. My car only holds a total of 5 including me, and I have 2 kids of my own, so 2 dc kids is my limit anyway on any given day. I take DC kids grocery shopping with me and we go to museums, etc. I would never dream of not going anywhere with DC kids with me. This is teh reason why I do DC anyway, make money and still do what I need to do for my family/home.

I would say get a bigger car only if you can afford one, I cannot, or you have to limit your kids, which is what I have to do.
are you lisensed? Do you have them sign one slip for the year saying you go to this place (grocery store)every monday?
QualiTcare 05:52 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
are you lisensed? Do you have them sign one slip for the year saying you go to this place (grocery store)every monday?
i'm pretty sure if you're licensed you have to have permission each time. we used to have to make parents sign twice a week, every week, for the whole summer when we went on trips. well, they could sign both forms at once. but if they forgot to sign, their kid couldn't go. they'd ask if they could just sign one form and the answer was no.
legomom922 05:55 AM 11-12-2010
Nope.

I have them sign 1 consent form that allows their kid to go when ever I need to go out for as long as they are in my DC.

I also have a concent form for talking walks, etc too.
momofsix 06:03 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Nope.

I have them sign 1 consent form that allows their kid to go when ever I need to go out for as long as they are in my DC.

I also have a concent form for talking walks, etc too.
In MI we can use one form for the year if it is a REGULARLY scheduled (like every Weds at 10:00 to the library), every other trip needs its own permission slip.
care-care 06:32 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
In MI we can use one form for the year if it is a REGULARLY scheduled (like every Weds at 10:00 to the library), every other trip needs its own permission slip.
So if I said every Monday I am going to library and Meijers. It would be good?
momofsix 10:35 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
So if I said every Monday I am going to library and Meijers. It would be good?
Yup! Make sure you also put the time on it that you'll be gone, and have it dated for the year. Now if you decide to stop at McDonalds on the way home, you need a seperate form.
I know one provider near by that has a different consultant and she says that her parents signing in everyday is also their giving permission to drive-no way would my licensor go for that one!
Unregistered 11:33 AM 11-12-2010
Just a word of caution. In my state, if we are using our personal car to transport dc children (even once or twice a year) & don't report this to our insurance carrier, they can deny paying out any claim if we have an accident. You should really look into whether or not they need to know - they might tell you that you need a special license for this and getting this special license will send your insurance payments through the roof. We found this out when planning a school trip to go pumpkin picking. We were going to pool our personal cars to make room for all the children who didn't have parents accompanying them - and a parent (who is in the insurance biz) told us this was not a good idea. We ended up cancelling the trip entirely.
Unregistered 12:03 PM 11-12-2010
I found an article regarding this very subject. I'm pretty sure this is the policy practiced by most insurance carriers in the US. For this one, a Nanny asked if she needed special car insurance to take her employer's children on short day trips. The answer is from an insurance broker.

"Luckily, one of our clients, who is a nanny, called us before using her personal auto to take ‘her’ daycare kids on outings..

You see, your personal auto insurance policy does not cover you if you use your car “to transport persons or deliver property for compensation of any kind.”. Whether you use your car to deliver pizza, mail, or newspapers… or whether you transport children (that you’re paid to watch) to and from parks and museums – it comes down to the fact that your car is now an essential and compensated part of your job. Granted, in the case of our nanny, the transport of her daycare kids was incidental to other parts of her job, for which she might receive a single “fee.” But since the legal language in a personal auto policy contract clearly excludes transporting people or products for compensation, and she is being paid for her services which include the transport, she runs the risk of having a claim denied because of the contractual language. "
legomom922 12:04 PM 11-12-2010
Maybe it is different in all states or if you are registred, however, I am not and my car insurance & daycare insurance are with the same company, so they know all about it and said no problem.
Tags:transportation
Reply Up