Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Decided I Get To Wean Child Of Pacifier!
meganlavonnesmommy 05:40 AM 09-21-2011
I have a just turned 2 year old who uses a paci at naptime. She keeps chewing the tips off, so I keep having to ask Mom for more. She doesnt bite them at home, only here for some reason. Mom showed up this morning with no paci and said "I'm tired of her chewing the tips off, so I decided just to not give her any pacis at daycare".

Great! I support that, but dont START weaning her at daycare, do that at home! Now I get to be the one to tell her she cant have a paci at naptime, and watch her pitch a fit and not sleep.

Grrrrrrrr
mac60 05:46 AM 09-21-2011
I would go to the Dollar Store and buy my own for her to use. I would not be the one to wean her off of them.
laundrymom 06:23 AM 09-21-2011
I would say "AWESOME!!! Pacis are such an inconvenience. I'll call you at nap to pick up if she has trouble. I'm sure it will only take a few days to transition. "
mickey2 06:27 AM 09-21-2011
Here I just don't give it to them unless they are a small baby. I tell parents when they enroll that I don't do pacis past 6 months and they need to be taken away before they start care with me. If parents want to give it to them at home fine, but here I won't. I will not be looking for it every time they lose it nor will I be getting down on my hands and knees to fish it out from underneath their pnp when they toss it on the floor. Also, having other little ones take it from them and put it in their own mouths! GROSS! No way are they even allowed in my house.
mickey2 06:30 AM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would say "AWESOME!!! Pacis are such an inconvenience. I'll call you at nap to pick up if she has trouble. I'm sure it will only take a few days to transition. "

Yes this too! They are expecting YOU to do the work for them so they don't have to hear the crying!!

If you tell them that you will call them if she has trouble and stick to it and do so a few times, you will see how fast they start to do it over the weekend!
nannyde 06:31 AM 09-21-2011
Well if she cries at naptime because she doesn't have it then call mom and have her come pick her up so she can have it at home.

She wants a paci
She does perfectly well with it at home

The logical answer is that she is home with her paci so she doesn't cry.

It sounds like Mom has a different more expensive thicker sturdier paci at home for her and is bringing the cheapo ones to your house.

It doesn't make sense that the kid isn't chewing thru them at home UNLESS at your home she has a lot more idle time where she is completely on her own and the only thing TO do is to chew on the paci as a toy instead of sucking it.

If she is never left to her own devices at home and has an adult with her during all waking and sleeping hours then she wouldn't have the need or oportunity to chew thru a paci.

My guess is tho.. that she has a different one at home AND there is NO chance at all that they will wean her off of them until she gets to the point where she can quickly destroy the ones they use. What you do at your house isn't going to affect them in any way at home except save them money.

I don't use pacifiers at any age so I don't ever deal with this. No matter what I wouldn't allow her access to ones she can bite thru. That's really dangerous.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:51 AM 09-21-2011
I think that is part of the problem, and why she chews them at daycare and not at home.
At home she naps for 2 hours, then gets up. At daycare we lay down at 12pm, she naps for about 30 minutes, then wakes up. I let her lay on her mat and "play" until the other kids wake up at 2pm. If I let her get up, then the others wake up, but she is content to lay on her napmat for the remaining 90 minutes, so I let her. She has a stuffed animal, and usually plays with that. So I think during that idle time is when she is chewing her paci.

I'm all for her not using them, they are a pain.
tbutler 07:57 AM 09-21-2011
Lol! Great response.
meganlavonnesmommy 09:58 AM 09-21-2011
Wow, I'm amazed! She fell asleep after about 15 minutes, no crying, no fussing! So excited! Mom will be too!
ritah 02:02 PM 09-21-2011
I would be very concerned about her choking on the little bits of pacifier that she chews off.
jojosmommy 02:14 PM 09-21-2011
Dcks at my house only get them at nap and I secretly "forget" to give them to my dck that have them after about 11-12 months. I see how it goes one day at a time. Once they are off them completely at my house I tell the parents they havent used one for X time here. Parents are always surprised.
daycare 02:44 PM 09-21-2011
The paci could have been keeping her awake. I had a dcg that would keep herself awake with it. I finally took it away and she started sleeping.
I would just do away with it and not give it back at your house
Less for you to worry about
youretooloud 02:58 PM 09-21-2011
In reality though, it's always easier for us to make these kind's of changes than it is for Mom and Dad. Even when my own kids were little, I had a much harder time getting them to do things that were easy with the daycare kids.

It's just different with us, and kids "get" that. So, I don't generally mind doing it.... sometimes I do, but not often.
LittleD 03:38 PM 09-21-2011
Love it! I'd go with this!
mismatchedsocks 03:38 PM 09-21-2011
Im usually the one to wean them, so hopefully at age 2 they are prepared to do it. No sense in ruining their teeth. Good luck!
littlemommy 06:56 AM 09-23-2011
I have a 12 month old that comes every day with a paci in his mouth. DCM has been saying for months that she needs to get rid of it. He has always been fine without it here so I take it away as soon as she leaves. I tell her that and she's happy about it, but as soon as she picks him up in the afternoon she digs it out of the bag and shoves it in his mouth.
Cat Herder 07:01 AM 09-23-2011
Glad it went smoothly for you!
Tags:pacifier, pacifier - wean off
Reply Up