Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Advice!
rose14 10:12 AM 09-14-2011
I started at a day care in August.I have never worked with children other than my own. I am having a problem with the children not listening to me. I am naturally very mellow and I have a soft voice. I've tried using a firmer voice. No difference. The director really doesn't talk to us employees unless there is something wrong or she feels like you need correction. The only advice she has given to me is to have a firmer voice. It doesn't work for me. Today I was watching the five year olds while their teacher was going to get her lunch. They were very loud and obnoxious. Just as the director walked in one male child came running out the bathroom with his pants down laughing hysterically. I'm at my wit's end and fearful for my job. When I tell them to settle down and be quiet they look right at me and keep going. I fear losing my job. Any suggestions? I'm in a two year old room until lunch and the last thirty minutes I am with the five year olds. I have problems with the two year olds as well but I'm usually always in with a teacher during that time.
Cat Herder 10:35 AM 09-14-2011
You can try other attention draws instead of yelling.

My littles all turn around concerned when I stop humming.... I just recently realized I do it all day...

You could try:

1. Flashing lights on and off.
2. Coaches Whistle.
3. Waving Red Flag/Green Flag.
4. "Catch a Bubble" technique.
5. The standard "One, Two, Three".
6. A flashing light wand. ($2)

I am sure there are more, those are just some I have used at one time or another.
Attached: get their attention.jpg (11.4 KB) 
cheerfuldom 10:42 AM 09-14-2011
Are you just doing crowd control or is there some way you can focus the class toward an activity?
3kidzmama 10:47 AM 09-14-2011
More attention getters:

• start singing a familiar song (ABC, wheels on the bus, etc.). My group will stop what theyre doing and join in.

• sing what you want them to do. Such as the cleanup song. I've also made up simple songs like "Meet me at the learning corner, learning corner, learning corner, meet me at the learning corner if you please"

• I sometimes clap loudly three times and then say "clap if you can hear me" then repeat.
Oneluckymom 09:19 PM 09-14-2011
This is a great post....im interested in hearing more ideas on classroom control and attention getters too.
laundrymom 03:45 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
This is a great post....im interested in hearing more ideas on classroom control and attention getters too.
I'm following this one as well.
Kaddidle Care 04:26 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by rose14:
Just as the director walked in one male child came running out the bathroom with his pants down laughing hysterically.
I know a Kindegarten Teacher that NEVER raises her voice. A 5 year old knows better than to do that. I would sit him down and have a nice little chat with him. If he does it again it's an automatic time out and a chat with Mom/Dad. Make sure you tell him this. Short, sweet, to the point.

They will push your buttons sometimes - you are new and they are testing you.

Don't fear for your job, take control.
godiva83 05:04 AM 09-15-2011
I have a very soft voice, and sound like a little kid - it has never held me
Back! I don't Personally believe you need to raise your voice, sure be firm!
The children know I mean business! I get down to their level, speak to them with logic they can comprehend and a consequence they can understand, I finish with checking that they know what I am expecting and asking from them.
I also use a lot of singing, transition warnings, my favorite is these musical bells I ring for circle time
MissAnn 05:46 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by rose14:
I started at a day care in August.I have never worked with children other than my own. I am having a problem with the children not listening to me. I am naturally very mellow and I have a soft voice. I've tried using a firmer voice. No difference. The director really doesn't talk to us employees unless there is something wrong or she feels like you need correction. The only advice she has given to me is to have a firmer voice. It doesn't work for me. Today I was watching the five year olds while their teacher was going to get her lunch. They were very loud and obnoxious. Just as the director walked in one male child came running out the bathroom with his pants down laughing hysterically. I'm at my wit's end and fearful for my job. When I tell them to settle down and be quiet they look right at me and keep going. I fear losing my job. Any suggestions? I'm in a two year old room until lunch and the last thirty minutes I am with the five year olds. I have problems with the two year olds as well but I'm usually always in with a teacher during that time.
I am all about consequences and praise. I try to keep my voice at all times

Since you hit while you were playing in the block center, you have lost your privilege of playing in the block center. You will get a do-over after lunch.

I love to see that teamwork, good job
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
You can try other attention draws instead of yelling.

My littles all turn around concerned when I stop humming.... I just recently realized I do it all day...

You could try:

1. Flashing lights on and off.
2. Coaches Whistle.
3. Waving Red Flag/Green Flag.
4. "Catch a Bubble" technique.
5. The standard "One, Two, Three".
6. A flashing light wand. ($2)

I am sure there are more, those are just some I have used at one time or another.
"Avoid flicking the lights. It sends children messages, especially boys, to run around fast."

~ Sorry, I couldn't resist!

(It was from this thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...234#post144234)
Cat Herder 07:35 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"Avoid flicking the lights. It sends children messages, especially boys, to run around fast."

(It was from this thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...234#post144234)
Oh...wow... I missed that whole thread.

I must have boy geniuses, too, then.....

The article was brought to you by the letters L, A, M, and E.
iheartkids 08:04 AM 09-15-2011
You are still pretty green. I'm not sure if there is any piece of advice that will help just that as time goes on you will find that assertiveness that you need. I had the exact same frustration you had when I first started in center. I don't know how it happens but teachers just adapt that "tone" no matter how soft or loud a person you are, it's all about the tone of voice that let's kids know you are the boss. I have friend that has worked in a center for a year and just recently became lead teacher, she is even struggling with getting the kids to see her as the lead and following her directions. Don't give up on yourself! That inner teacher will come out
ritah 08:59 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

The article was brought to you by the letters L, A, M, and E.
Love it!! lol
daycare 10:22 AM 09-15-2011
I have a few things..

1. I bought from the dollar bins, a little sign with eyes on it. I just say 1,2,3 all eyes on me and they all stop and look up.

2. I have some really cool bells that you ring, purchased from Discount school supply. I use these to get attention or for transistion time.

3. I go sit on the circle mat and just start singing and clapping my hands to a song. Any song. They will all come to join me.

4. Turn on fun music, but not too loud and crazy.. then get everyone to star singing..
rose14 06:43 PM 09-16-2011
I really have the five year olds for about 15 minutes. In that time though they are returning from lunch and I am to have them sent to the potty and laying on their cots. As soon as the teacher walks out though they start a chorus of chatter. One boy is quite hyper. Anything one does the others break out in laughter. It gets rowdy in no time flat. Twice my director has dropped in and they are talking loud and not laying down. I've tried stern, it isn't working for me. The atmosphere at work is not supportive. Today, the teacher took them to the room first and asked the children to pick up blocks before she left. I gave them a minute to clean up and directed the first child to potty. In that time, the assistanct director walked in and says to the children, "you are playing with blocks and not on your cots, you are not listening to Ms. ___." She never asked me if it was ok for the children to be at the blocks and not on their cots. It was assumed that they are running over me and entirely out of their beds. What is worse for me is that the aide I replaced did just fine with the same kids. It's not like it can't be done in that space of time. In just fifteen minutes you'd think I could make it work. With the director dropping in on me constantly I really am fearing for my job.
rose14 06:51 PM 09-16-2011
Really I only have the children for a small length of time. It is right after lunch. I am only in the room to allow the teacher a bathroom break and a chance for her to grab her lunch. I'm in the room during that transitional time. I have to have them pottied and laying on their cots. It sounds like a simple task but they get exited so quickly over small things. One will say something silly and they break out in hysterical laughter and it goes downhill quickly.
Unregistered 08:13 AM 09-18-2011
I feel your pain. Perhaps you could clap loudly to get their attention....then have them all lay on the cots FIRST and then call them one or two at a time to go potty. Tell them you will call the names in order of who is behaving nicely... or who is using good manners..( you know how they all want to be first... ) Or say... emmm... who is wearing a blue shirt today... OK..your turn Johnny... or who has curly black hair.... ok... your turn Charlie... etc...etc..then they will quiet down in hopes of hearing a detail about themselves...
GOOD LUCK !!! btw... don't feel bad.. I think you are doing everything you can... As a d/c provider for over 21 yrs... i see a difference in the way kids behave now-a-days. They are truly much more excitable and hyper... they don't seem to listen as well and they LAUGH when being naughty. It is strange... like there's something in the air (or water LOL )... but i do see a change in behavior.
melskids 11:51 AM 09-18-2011
i would have a hard time coming just back from lunch and laying down right away myself. i would offer some sort of physical activity for a few minutes before you try to potty and lay them down.

even a quick game of simon says, duck duck goose, or anything to give them a few minutes to get their sillies out.
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:44 PM 09-18-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i would have a hard time coming just back from lunch and laying down right away myself. i would offer some sort of physical activity for a few minutes before you try to potty and lay them down.

even a quick game of simon says, duck duck goose, or anything to give them a few minutes to get their sillies out.
I agree with this, since they are coming from another room from lunch and then back to their classroom. The quick game would get their attention fast too, and maybe at the end of it it'd give you a minute to have their attention long enough send them to their cots. One thing I do with my 3-5 yr olds is spell their name and say "if your name is spelled _ _ _ _ you can go _________ (whatever you need them to do).
I do not envy your job with the 5 yr olds! The transition between lunch and nap is the most hectic and stressful for me. I would hate to have that position of JUST trying to get them on their cots and potty. I tell my group that they can choose a book and go to their cot with it (that gives me a chance to help clean up from lunch). If they get up and play around getting hyper (bouncing on cot, running around the room, talking too loudly with someone else away from their cot) , I simply take the book off their cot, and say, "I see you're not interested in looking at a book. Time for you to lay down then." Since they know they can't play anything else at that time, they hate it when I take their book, and realize it's better to have a book than nothing at all while everyone else gets to look at a book. So the next day, they are usually better about staying on their cot with the book. If the whole group is getting too out of hand, I turn the light off and tell them it's time to put the books away. Then I'll ask them one by one if they have to go potty. If they won't go, they usually have to wait til everyone wakes up (I dont like the "I have to potty" game after everyone is laying on their cots and nap time is under way just so they can get up and delay nap a little longer). I feel for you. I also have a quiet voice, and it makes it difficult to get everyone's attention. Even if I start singing, sometimes they can't hear me over everyone else talking so loud. I do like the "If you can hear me clap 2 times", because the ones close by can hear at least, and it spreads till everyone else is doing it also. At times they clap and immediately go right on talking though! haha
Gigi 01:13 AM 09-19-2011
I am learning a lot from the replies here. Yes, yelling is never an option. Since, it only makes them more hysterical at times.

When I do take care of my sister's kids and my own, I CLAP really loud to get their attention. And if they're getting rowdy, I do CLAP again and lead them into some kiddie exercises like jumping jacks and marching in place.

Then by some sort of miracle - they LOVE following me right after.. Kind of like a coach/ drill sergeant.
Gigi 01:46 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing! Didn't know this AT ALL!
Tags:attention, classroom management, getting kids attention, obeying
Reply Up