Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 Yr Old Who Won't Stop Crying
DaycareMama 06:23 PM 02-25-2011
I have a new dcb (just turned 1) who will not stop crying. He is totally hysterical until the second you pick him up. Like all of you I can not hold a baby all day. The poor other kids are miserable and hold their ears all day. When they interviewed last month he still was on a bottle and a paci. Now he started and he is on a sippy cup and no paci. Which is great. But Im thinking I am the one who is dealing with the seperation anxiety. Also the obvious of he is most likely never put down at home.

This little boy is a total love baby as long as your holding him. If I even dare walk out of the room, turn around and have my back to him, or not look at him for a minute he is screaming in a total melt down.

Today I let him cry and didn't pick him up as much. But it feels so mean. How do I break this without torturing him, myself or the other kids???
daysofelijah 12:01 PM 02-26-2011
If he won't stop crying with you sitting next to him playing with him, put him to bed. Crying=tired=naptime. (as long as you know he isn't in pain, sick, hungry or wet). When he stops crying he can get up and try again. He has to learn to play and to be secure in the fact that you are there and not leaving, but also are not going to hold him all day. Does he walk yet?

I would maybe give the paci back for a month or two if that helps him calm down. I try to take the paci away during daycare (except nap) when they turn 1 too, but if it helps comfort him for now I'd give it to him.
momatheart 12:18 PM 02-26-2011
I was thinking of giving him back the paci as well.
Unregistered 01:34 PM 02-26-2011
Do anything you have to do to make him feel more comfortable at daycare for a little while. Give the paci back for a few weeks until he feels better at daycare and then ween him off of it slowly until he stops all the crying. It make take awhile, but will be worth it in the long run for your sanity and his crying. I have had many many children like that and you have to do what you have to, to get through the first little while until they adjust to daycare. I have done daycare for 28 yrs now, so I have seen a lot of kids like that. It is very normal for them to be like that at first. That adjustment period going to daycare always takes a little bit.
New faces, new place and different schedules is what they need to get used to and that takes awhile.
I hope this helps a little and I hope he stops crying for you soon!
Reply Up