Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Proud of My Grandson
sharlan 12:44 PM 09-27-2013
My youngest grandson, 5, is VERY, VERY physical. He also stands his ground against other kids and won't back down. He's very quick to react.

The first month of school, he did great, getting blue and purple cards. (Everyone starts the day on green and can move up to blue, then purple, or down to yellow, and red.) All of a sudden he started getting red cards every day for hitting another boy. My dd has really been talking to him, but getting nowhere. Last Fri she observed another student from the special ed pre-k who has now been mainstreamed to k, pushing B and pulling on his shirt. She saw B turn around and shove the kid down, just as the teacher turned around. Yep, B got a red card and the other kid walked away.

Dd had several talks over the week with B, telling him he needs to cross his arms and just walk away from this boy. She also had a quick talk with the teacher and told her what she had observed last week. The teacher has been watching and saw that the other boy has been starting things and B has been reacting.

Yesterday, the boy kept picking at B all day. Rather than react and hit or push the other boy, B told him to keep his hands to himself, crossed his arms and walked away. The exceptional behavior award is for the teacher to put the student's name tag on her shirt. B got his name on the teacher's shirt yesterday. He was so excited because he handled things right.

It's so neat to watch the kids grow and mature.
Unregistered 01:02 PM 09-27-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My youngest grandson, 5, is VERY, VERY physical. He also stands his ground against other kids and won't back down. He's very quick to react.

The first month of school, he did great, getting blue and purple cards. (Everyone starts the day on green and can move up to blue, then purple, or down to yellow, and red.) All of a sudden he started getting red cards every day for hitting another boy. My dd has really been talking to him, but getting nowhere. Last Fri she observed another student from the special ed pre-k who has now been mainstreamed to k, pushing B and pulling on his shirt. She saw B turn around and shove the kid down, just as the teacher turned around. Yep, B got a red card and the other kid walked away.

Dd had several talks over the week with B, telling him he needs to cross his arms and just walk away from this boy. She also had a quick talk with the teacher and told her what she had observed last week. The teacher has been watching and saw that the other boy has been starting things and B has been reacting.

Yesterday, the boy kept picking at B all day. Rather than react and hit or push the other boy, B told him to keep his hands to himself, crossed his arms and walked away. The exceptional behavior award is for the teacher to put the student's name tag on her shirt. B got his name on the teacher's shirt yesterday. He was so excited because he handled things right.

Great job B!!! So exciting!!
DaisyMamma 01:43 PM 09-27-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:

Wow that's incredible! Nice job!
Michelle 01:49 PM 09-27-2013
That's awesome
so happy for all

Michael 02:07 PM 09-27-2013
That's great
sharlan 02:11 PM 09-27-2013
My dd was really worried about him starting K this year because he is so physical and has a hard time keeping his hands to himself.

He is the youngest of my 4 grandkids and the only one with the slightest bit of coordination. He is a natural athlete. He was picked for the All-Star team at the end of baseball (not t-ball) last year and he had just turned 5 the week before. The coaches were really upset when my dd refused.
melilley 02:39 PM 09-27-2013
Awesome, good for him, and at such a young age!
Maria2013 02:49 PM 09-27-2013
you go B
Josiegirl 02:57 PM 09-27-2013
VERY cool!! It's a difficult thing for a 5 yo to not be reactive. He did great! And the teacher making special note of that only served to re-enforce the way he handled himself.
Tags:positive experience
Reply Up