Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wish Other Local Providers Would Get Their Act Together!
snips&snails 04:12 PM 01-03-2013
LOL have to laugh but honestly I opened in November, my rates are average & I am lower than some but there are a lot of dirt cheap (and TERRIBLE) local daycares. It's a very poor area and I understand parents are struggling but that means these places can stay open & the horror stories continue.
Anyway, I have already given up the hope of a 2-week deposit - NOT going to happen here. Had a parent yesterday mildly upset that they had to pay full price when I sent their child home with a fever - and he had been here 6 out of his 9 hours anyway. They accepted it but were definitely not happy. Now they are confused because their last provider had them pay every 2 weeks which I am accepting,I wanted to do monthly but again none of the families can swing it. The problem is she had them paying for services already provided instead of paying in advance. They wanted a 2 week trial & had been paying daily & asked today about doing this because of financial troubles - this week is supposed to be their 1st 2 week payment. I told them I would consider it and tell them tomorrow ...probably screwed myself there. Just frustrated right now since I lost a few potential clients over this same issue!
MarinaVanessa 04:30 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by snips&snails:
I told them I would consider it and tell them tomorrow ...probably screwed myself there.
No you didn't .

You did the right thing. You weren't sure so you told them that you'd think about it and give them an answer tomorrow ... that's great.

Now you can calmly think about the pro's and con's and figure out whether or not you really want to do it or not. And tomorrow when you give your answer it will be well thought out
DaisyMamma 09:00 AM 01-04-2013
Oh boy. What did you decide?
I would let them pay weekly, but in advance. It sounds like getting paid might be an issue with them. Be careful.
nanglgrl 11:55 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Oh boy. What did you decide?
I would let them pay weekly, but in advance. It sounds like getting paid might be an issue with them. Be careful.
I agree. They have money problems so it makes complete sense to have them pay for services in advance. For some clients daycare is the last bill they pay even though if they didn't have daycare they would lose their job and then be unable to pay any bills.
cheerfuldom 12:05 PM 01-04-2013
Do you not already have a contract in place that outlines everything about your services? Figure out what works for you and then stick to your contract. You will be going crazy with requests once the parents feel that your policies are negotiable. Also, ALWAYS get paid in advance. Anyone that is trying to pay by the day and after service is provided is not going to be a reliable income for you.
LK5kids 12:08 PM 01-04-2013
I would do the weekly in advance. I love that my parents pay me weekly.
daycare 12:13 PM 01-04-2013
As MV said you did the right thing.... Now you have plenty of time to think about what you do or don't want to do and how you will say it...... Usually you are in trouble when you give them an answer right away without giving it much thought.

I live in a pretty wealthy area, but not all of my families are well to do.

Most of my parents all pay monthly and pay a full two week deposit upon sign up.

for the ones that cant pay monthly, I accept their payments one week in advance. I also still require the two week deposit, but allow them to make installment payments. Like an additional $20.00 each week until paid in full.
Tags:competition, deposit, trial period
Reply Up