Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm At A Loss Screaming 3 Yr Old....
kayla 11:22 AM 08-08-2012
Ok so not to long ago I made a post about an annoyine baby. Well that babies older sister has started this thing where she will start screaming to wake everyone up.... I am so tired of it when I say something to the mom she just says tell me about it... This kid doesnt listen what so ever... Any one else have a screamer and what do you do about it... This 3 yr old is driving me batty.... All she does is scream and cry over everything... I am sick of her whining crying and screaming... I don't know how much I can handle... I am stuck because I want to give them notice, I get up early for them they get here at 6:30am and don't leave til 5pm, they were my first clients I dont know how to approach it maybe I should give her a written warning... It isn't fair that my own chld cannot sleep in his house because she thinks is ok to scream like a baby and wake everyone up!!! I cannot really afford to get rid of them any ideas???
Heidi 11:30 AM 08-08-2012
First of all, I would not let her in the house screaming. So, if she is crying OUTSIDE in the morning, go outside and say "I will not let you in the house while you are making so much noise, everyone is sleeping". Tell mom ahead of time so that she will be prepared to be late for work a few times.

Then, if she screams during the day, find a spot away from the action, and use that each time. Very camly take her hand, and gently lead her to that spot. Say "Your screaming hurts our ears. Sit here until you are done yellling. Then you may come back and play". Then IGNORE her until she comes back. When she does, say "oh, good, your back...now lets have fun", or something welcoming.

At a time when she is NOT upset, tell her that you understand that sometimes she gets sad or angry, but that it's not ok for her to scream and cry and carry on. You will listen to her if she uses her words.

When she returns), you could ask her "would you like to tell me in your big girl voice why you were mad?". Chances are, though, she will start all over again then, so you'll have to play that by ear. Of course, if she is hurt or sad about something and you know she's not just carrying on, then you can certainly comfort her. It's just for the screaming-to-get-my-way stuff that I'm talking about.

You are really not telling her she can't be upset, you are giving her the message that she can't take it out on everyone else.
love111 11:31 AM 08-08-2012
I am getting ready to get rid of a screamer. She has been a fussy baby since birth and is now 14 months and I have had it. Granted mom and dad got a divorce a few months back and she is passed around alot. But at the end of the day you have to watch out for the other kids and your own sanity.

That is why I don't take siblings, if you have to cut them because one kid is bad or the parents suck then you loose two kids instead of one. Just advertise and get another lined up and then give them a two week notice and drop them. The parents are not doing something. I hate to say it but you have no idea what is going on behind closed doors. But if you provide a stable atmosphere, and routine then you know it isn't you.

Worse case the kid has some undiagnosed problem. But at the end of the day you are not a doctor or therapist, if you have talked to mom and she just blows it off then time to cut them loose.
MaritimeMummy 12:45 PM 08-08-2012
Kids do NOT scream excessively in my house. Newbies get 2 weeks to adjust. If they don't adjust by that time, I let them go. I can't abide screaming and crying from the time they walk in the door until they time they leave, and it's not fair to my own kids or the day care kids. I make sure, at the time of termination, that the parents know this, too. "It's really excessive and it's not fair to the other children". I had a 2.5 year old boy who screamed and cried every minute of the day, my daughter was in tears from having to hear him all day long. Both my kids naps were suffering.
Tags:therapist
Reply Up