Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Starting To Happen Everywhere?
CedarCreek 02:25 PM 07-23-2013
Today it was brought to my attention that the school district here is opening a daycare center just for district employees.

I was super scared because I get a lot of business from teachers until I saw this:

-They do not provide any meals except afternoon snack

-There is 150 registration fee PER child

-To get in, you pay a 25 dollar non refundable fee and then are entered into a "lottery". If your childs name is drawn, you're in.

-If you are late past 5:15pm, they charge you 20 dollars a minute.

-They are charging 20 dollars a week more than I am.

Now that I have read the fine print, I'm not worried. But I was wondering is this is becoming a common thing everywhere? Does it affect your business if there is one in your area?
daycare 02:31 PM 07-23-2013
sounds interesting...I had a call the other day that was odd. It was from a referral service that was looking for childcare for the employees.......the woman I spoke to said that it was a benefit of the company that hired them, although she did not tell me what company hired them....I thought it was a bit odd, I have never heard of such a thing before.

Hmmmmm I wonder if that daycare for teachers will happen here. I have not contracted any teachers, because the ones that I have interviewed with are always asking me for SPECIAL. they don't want to pay for holidays, don't want to pay for any time when their school is closed and of course want summer off without paying a holding fee....I said no to everything, so I have no teachers....lol
spud912 02:33 PM 07-23-2013
Most elementary schools offer preschool here for anyone. The weekly fees are about $25 higher than mine and they charge an annual fee of approximately $150. I have noticed a significant drop in inquiries for older children lately. It seems like parents nowadays are shuffling their children to school earlier and earlier .
CedarCreek 02:34 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
sounds interesting...I had a call the other day that was odd. It was from a referral service that was looking for childcare for the employees.......the woman I spoke to said that it was a benefit of the company that hired them, although she did not tell me what company hired them....I thought it was a bit odd, I have never heard of such a thing before.

Hmmmmm I wonder if that daycare for teachers will happen here. I have not contracted any teachers, because the ones that I have interviewed with are always asking me for SPECIAL. they don't want to pay for holidays, don't want to pay for any time when their school is closed and of course want summer off without paying a holding fee....I said no to everything, so I have no teachers....lol
I get them because I'm across the street from a high school.

I charge them for holidays but they get 5 days of vacation to use. This place wouldn't charge them for the holiday breaks that they get but in the summer, they will be charged! I guess because they will still be open for summer school.
LK5kids 02:55 PM 07-23-2013
Our district offers full day K-4 but that is all. Another school district about 15 miles has a newer child care center attached to the elementary school, but it is for all parents. It is not affiliated with the school.
kathiemarie 03:06 PM 07-23-2013
We have one here. I have a parent (teacher) that will drive pass it to come to my house. Super expensive and who would want their kids where they would be judge by co-workers/bosses?.
craftymissbeth 03:11 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I get them because I'm across the street from a high school.

I charge them for holidays but they get 5 days of vacation to use. This place wouldn't charge them for the holiday breaks that they get but in the summer, they will be charged! I guess because they will still be open for summer school.
Maybe it's so more parents will terminate care during the summer that way they can hold the "lottery" again?
Unregistered 03:24 PM 07-23-2013
We have a childcare at our high school that teachers use. Its about the average price for the area. I don't think they charge for holidays/breaks or summer because they are closed because no one needs them during those times. I think that is a huge draw for them.

Its a beautiful place BUT very small/no real outdoor area to play/only take up to a certain age (like 4.5 age or something like that).
Sunchimes 07:08 PM 07-23-2013
Our school district has subsidized child care for employees. My understanding is that it was started when it was hard to hire teachers. The daycare was a recruiting perk. Now, we have people begging for teaching jobs, but the daycare lives on, making it hard for me to get kids, while my tax dollars support it. It is 6 weeks old to after school care, and the prices are substantially lower than mine, and I'm at the low end of prices here. I've only had one teacher call me-her son had been bitten 16 times there, and she wanted to move him. When I told her my price, she decided that it wouldn't hurt her kid to get bitten.
daycare 07:13 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Our school district has subsidized child care for employees. My understanding is that it was started when it was hard to hire teachers. The daycare was a recruiting perk. Now, we have people begging for teaching jobs, but the daycare lives on, making it hard for me to get kids, while my tax dollars support it. It is 6 weeks old to after school care, and the prices are substantially lower than mine, and I'm at the low end of prices here. I've only had one teacher call me-her son had been bitten 16 times there, and she wanted to move him. When I told her my price, she decided that it wouldn't hurt her kid to get bitten.
wow that is pretty sad that a parents would risk their childs safety to save a few bucks...thats sad
Familycare71 07:21 PM 07-23-2013
Our elementary school has a pre-school in it but it isn't affiliated with the school district. Also there is a YMCA after school program that the school advertises for :/
cheerfuldom 07:58 PM 07-23-2013
We have a few different options in my town that are similar to what you mentioned. One is a specialized and super pricey daycare for University employees only. There are plenty of people that are willing to pay high rates for something that seems really special. One thing this place has is full walls of that glass where the parents can see in but the kids cant see out. you can come anytime to watch your kids.
Familycare71 10:13 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
We have a few different options in my town that are similar to what you mentioned. One is a specialized and super pricey daycare for University employees only. There are plenty of people that are willing to pay high rates for something that seems really special. One thing this place has is full walls of that glass where the parents can see in but the kids cant see out. you can come anytime to watch your kids.
Ah- a zoo!!! Lol
snbauser 05:40 AM 07-24-2013
I haven't heard of anything like that here and with our schools in such financial distress I can't imagine that the public would stand for funding any of it. If it did happen, I'm not sure how it would impact me. I market specifically to school employees because I like to offer that type of schedule and have time with my own kids when they are out of school. But being that my market is for a smaller group, most of the parents I have don't want a large center.
Moppetland 08:40 AM 07-24-2013
Today it was brought to my attention that the school district here is opening a daycare center just for district employees.

I was super scared because I get a lot of business from teachers until I saw this:

-To get in, you pay a 25 dollar non refundable fee and then are entered into a "lottery". If your childs name is drawn, you're in.

Now that I have read the fine print, I'm not worried. But I was wondering is this is becoming a common thing everywhere? Does it affect your business if there is one in your area?
Look at it this way. Whomever doesn't get in through the lottery will still need to find good child care. So, I wouldn't worry. Then you have to remember that every parent don't want their child in an institutionalized child care. On top of that, if a parent has had their child in a family child care home since they were infants or toddlers, they feel comfortable leaving them there.
Cat Herder 09:30 AM 07-24-2013
Funny you mention this. This topic burns me up in general.

All employers can get tax exemptions by providing childcare services for their own employees (501 c).

I have to pay higher taxes for creating my own job providing childcare services.

Feeling all warm and fuzzy, here....

http://www.kidcentric.com/articletax.aspx
BABYLUVER21 09:43 AM 07-24-2013

The REG fee is steep in my state; I have never heard of a "lottery" that's silly; $20 per minute? I heard about this with a friend who has taken her kids to a summer camp. She said they are charging if you are ONE minute late $20 fee. Seems RIDICULOUS but perhaps it keeps parents on time.
Solandia 10:05 AM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have had that a few times. What it is the employer pays for the list of daycare providers from the local county CCR&R (The parents have to pay the CCR&R otherwise), and for a person to call around for openings that meet certain criteria the parents are looking for (no pets, certain ages, no tv,etc). then the service will give the results to the parents & the parents take it from there. It is a really nice benefit...there are lots of companies that have it, but very few people know about it or use it.
Tags:competition, state run
Reply Up