Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddlers and Preschoolers ...
Unregistered 12:29 PM 11-09-2011
I have (1) 3 yo, (2) 2 year olds, and (2) 1 year olds. The 3 and 2's do a lot of activities, but the 1 yo's are always trying to interfere.

What do you all do with toddlers while the preschoolers are doing activities? They are not infants anymore so I can't put them in an exersaucer or swing. Do you have a separate area for the toddlers?

Also, what are some fun activities to do with the 1 yo's as they aren't quite ready for projects?

Any advice/help is appreciated! Thank you!
MNMum 12:46 PM 11-09-2011
I have 2-3 yo's, 2 yo, 15 mos, 12 mos. I had to separate the space. First I tried rearranging furniture. No go, toddlers cried as they felt alone (furniture was too tall.) I finally spent $60 and got 2 Today's Kids colored gates off of craigslist. Put them together to make approx 12 ft x 12 ft toddler zone. Takes up about 1/6th of my main play room. Use it as needed. Sometimes just one goes in there, sometimes both. Whenever we are doing crafts, transitioning, or if I am in the kitchen preparing food, they are in there. When they are napping in the am, the 3 year olds find it a fun place to play, too.

My 2 year old can climb over, but not the active 15 mo old (She is lovingly referred to as Babyzilla).
daycare 01:39 PM 11-09-2011
when I had younger and older like this, I would have my littles under 2 still on two naps.

We all did circle time together...dance, sign, read, whatever you want to do.

then the littles went down for am nap. This is when I would do projects/lessons that they could not do..

I did not have project for the little ones... They played toys..fill buckets, empty buckets.....etc etc
Blackcat31 01:52 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have (1) 3 yo, (2) 2 year olds, and (2) 1 year olds. The 3 and 2's do a lot of activities, but the 1 yo's are always trying to interfere.

What do you all do with toddlers while the preschoolers are doing activities? They are not infants anymore so I can't put them in an exersaucer or swing. Do you have a separate area for the toddlers?

Also, what are some fun activities to do with the 1 yo's as they aren't quite ready for projects?

Any advice/help is appreciated! Thank you!
This is a common issue in mixed age group care. The children are on so many different developmental levels that trying to do any type of structured preschool or lesson plans becomes very difficult and exasperating.

As far as activities for 1 year olds go, I would just get down on their level and help them explore their surroundings. Children that age love figuring out how their world works. Providing an environment that engages them and keeps them interested is the key. They are also very social beings and love being read to, climbing on things, being played with and simply talked to.

You can also be brave and include the one year olds in the activites that the older kids are doing. If they are working on an art project, sit them down and give them a crayon. If they are painting, let them do it too. You would be surprised at how much a 1 year old will participate if given the opportunity to do so.
daycare 02:02 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a common issue in mixed age group care. The children are on so many different developmental levels that trying to do any type of structured preschool or lesson plans becomes very difficult and exasperating.

As far as activities for 1 year olds go, I would just get down on their level and help them explore their surroundings. Children that age love figuring out how their world works. Providing an environment that engages them and keeps them interested is the key. They are also very social beings and love being read to, climbing on things, being played with and simply talked to.

You can also be brave and include the one year olds in the activites that the older kids are doing. If they are working on an art project, sit them down and give them a crayon. If they are painting, let them do it too. You would be surprised at how much a 1 year old will participate if given the opportunity to do so.
cat you are brave...lol

the last time I gave a 1 year old a crayon I was changing pink and yellow poops....lol

I say if you can handle the mess they will make, go for it
Blackcat31 02:08 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
cat you are brave...lol

the last time I gave a 1 year old a crayon I was changing pink and yellow poops....lol

I say if you can handle the mess they will make, go for it
I use a lot of these

http://www.crayolastore.com/product_...=CRA+80%2D5800

Lately, I have considered investing in aqua doodles or color wonders too. Whatever they are called, bit the crayons that only color on the specific paper you provide and no where else.
AnneCordelia 02:09 PM 11-09-2011
I have 2 3yos, a 16mo, 15mo and 2 14mos.

I haev a fairly open floorplan with full visibility of my daycare room (converted diningroom) from my eat-in kitchen. The kitchen is gated off from the rest of the mainfloor (catfood on the floor, potentially hot stove, ect., no access for toddlers).

We do all our crafts in the kitchen with the preschoolers. The toddlers did NOT like this at first but now they know to occupy themselves. It only took about a week for them to get the hint.

We do our circle time in the main daycare area though with everyone. At first all the toddlers tried to climb in my lap every time. I was super-consistent and would sit them down physicalloy while saying "Sit please". The 3yos were really awesome about being patient.

Now the babies know that they can continue to play quietly or they can sit in the circle. Nobody tries to climb on me anymore and they usually sit and listen. It's really awesome.
Tags:age appropriate - activities, age appropriate - zones, toddlers
Reply Up