Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Am I Missing?
Happy Hearts 05:53 PM 08-14-2012
So, I'm in the grocery store today and an acquaintance PreSchool teacher asked me how my licensing is going. I told her that I haven't applied yet, but my 6 cots are on the way and should be here this week. She gives me this shocked face and says it isn't wise of me to buy all these supplies if I'm not licensed yet because "it's not going to happen in a month, you know". Then she proceeds to tell me that it's really hard to get a license nowadays and I should wait and save my money lest I need to do something really expensive that is required. What am I missing? I didn't want to be argumentative with her, but I asked her "like what?". She didn't answer me and repeated that it's really hard to get licensed.

Do you know what could be so expensive? Here's what I have: fully fenced yard, dedicated play area, carbon monoxide detector, fire alarms, fire extinguisher, CPR certificate, change table, cots (paid for, they're on the way), loads of toys and craft supplies

The only thing I can think of that I need to get is a First Aid Kit. Do you know what else is required? She has scared the bejeezus out of me.
SilverSabre25 06:55 PM 08-14-2012
I would hazard a guess that she is one of those hyper cautious types. Of COURSE you need all that stuff before you get licensed...I kind of doubt you will get the license without the stuff, kwim?

don't worry; people like to have opinions and they often don't know what they're talking about. I would have smiled and said, "Yeah, but I like to be prepared! We'll cross other bridges IF we come to them!"
DaisyMamma 10:13 PM 08-14-2012
It sounds to me that you have all you need. I would not worry about it for one more second. I did not find it hard to get licensed at all.
saved4always 04:06 AM 08-15-2012
In our state all the liscensing rules are online at the jobs and family services website for our state. If your state has them online, maybe you could take a look. We did have alot of things we needed to do to the building before we could be liscensed...part of the city building inspector giving an occupancy permit to use our space as a daycare. We had to add fire exit doors to a couple rooms and there were some other pricey things. But we are a center so I would think that a home would not need so many changes/updates. If she has made you nervous, see if you can get a copy of the rules for home daycares if you do not have them yet. Once we had our liscensing inspection, we had our liscense within a week or 2.
texascare 06:13 AM 08-15-2012
In my state you can go to the Licensing website and it will tell you all that you need to have done BEFORE they come out to inspect you. Very simple. You should look into this because where I am, we had to have a TB test, back ground checks on family members, animal well checks and a written letter from the vet. Some of that takes time.
Reply Up