Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Missing Check
MsMe 01:30 PM 08-27-2012
today I made out a deposit for teh last two weeks (ie. lots of checks)

I put all the checks and slips in an envelope and sent it off to the bank with my Mother.

one check was missing.

I looked everywhere, she looked everywhere. It was all in an envelope and she went staight to the bank. GONE.

Do I ask the family to replace the check? Do they need to stop payment? I did sign it. could someone else cash it?
daycare 02:40 PM 08-27-2012
I would call the parents asap and offer to pay for the stop payment and have it replaced with a new one.

I think a lot of us have done this before....

Do you have a set place that you keep the checks??
MarinaVanessa 02:56 PM 08-27-2012
YZep, call and ask the parent to put a stop-payment on it. Some banks charge a fee for this so out of consideration to the parent I'd offer to eat that cost (the check was missplaced on your end) if they get charged. Then ask the parent to re-issue you a new check.

One of the wonderful things that I love about my smart phone and banking with Chase is that I can use the photo capture feature on my banks app so I deposit all of my checks at the end of every Friday (payday for me) from the comfort of my home. I never have to go to the bank .
saved4always 05:31 PM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
YZep, call and ask the parent to put a stop-payment on it. Some banks charge a fee for this so out of consideration to the parent I'd offer to eat that cost (the check was missplaced on your end) if they get charged. Then ask the parent to re-issue you a new check.

One of the wonderful things that I love about my smart phone and banking with Chase is that I can use the photo capture feature on my banks app so I deposit all of my checks at the end of every Friday (payday for me) from the comfort of my home. I never have to go to the bank .
That is so cool...guess you have to have a smart phone for that though, huh? We are so behind on technology over here.
lovemykidstoo 06:03 PM 08-27-2012
I have lost a check 2 times. Both times I knew they were in my house somewhere or got thrown away. Since I knew they didn't leave my house I didnt' bother with the stop payment and the parents gladly gave me another check. Both times I ended up finding the check months later I worked at a bank for 13 years before doing daycare and if you signed the back, then it is illegal for someone to cash it or deposit it and it would be on the bank if they let that happen. If you sealed the envelope before giving it to your mom then the check probably is in your house somewhere like my experience.
MsMe 07:25 AM 08-29-2012
Update:

The DCM checked her online banking and both checks were deposited!? I compaired the deposite slips to my recored and the totals add up....so looks like both the teller and my Mother over looked it? I am kinds confused BUT all the number add up in my end so I am not too worried about it.

Thank you for your advice.
Reply Up