Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Orajel?
littlemommy 03:06 PM 08-02-2011
I've been reading over the past couple months that Orajel is no longer recommended for infants under the age of 2. The pain-killer that is in it can cause headaches and other problems, such as blood disorders.

I have a 10 month old dcb who just cut his first 2 teeth last month. He is quite a cranky little guy, and sleeps maybe a half hour in the 6 hours he is here, if I'm lucky. Mom thinks it is because of his teeth, and has been saying that since he first started (3 months ago.) She says that she is constantly putting Orajel on his gums, up to every half hour. She says she doesn't know if it helps or not because he is still crabby at home. She urges that I use it just as much here. Knowing what I know about the stuff, I don't feel comfortable using it. Do I tell her what I know about it? I'm worried she'll get all preachy on me that she wants her kid to be comfortable and pain-free.
SilverSabre25 03:11 PM 08-02-2011
Tell her that if she wants him to be comfortable, try a dose of Motrin. That or Hyland's Teething Tablets did WAY more for my DD, and for most kids I know, than Orajel ever did.

In fact, in addition to the legitimate health concerns you mentioned, anecdotes from other moms and my own personal experience with my DD say that Orajel can actually cause the gums to toughen and make it HARDER for the teeth to come through. My DD's bottom front teeth were hellacious for her (and me, lol) and we used Orajel. We quit using the stuff and all her other teeth came through so much faster and easier.
sharlan 03:43 PM 08-02-2011
I second the Hyland's teething tablets and Motrin if needed. I don't like the Orajel, it burns like nothing else. Try scratching your gum and putting it on, it hurts.

One good thing about the Hyland's is it's non toxic. My eldest granddaughter got a hold of a bottle and ate some. My daughter called Hyland's and they told her that the baby would be fine.
Kaddidle Care 03:46 PM 08-02-2011
Tylenol/Motrin and/or a frozen wet washcloth. (wet it and put it in a zip lock bag in your freezer) I don't think I ever used Orajel for either of my kids.
MarinaVanessa 03:48 PM 08-02-2011
I would have her provide some sort of pain reliever other than Orajel too. I've heard about what the other posters said about Orajel and on top of that I've read that Orajel doesn't only numb the gums but babies end up swallowing a lot of it and it ends up numbing their throats as well which disables their natural gag reflex making it easier for them to choke on things and food that they put in their mouths.

Just ask her for a baby-safe pain reliever and make sure that you have her fill out a medication consent form. Good luck.
sharlan 03:49 PM 08-02-2011
My gf and sister swear by green onions. Just give the little one an onion and let them gnaw on it. I have never tried it.
VTMom 04:37 PM 08-02-2011
I tried it on myself to see how it was before I used it on my children. I had read that it numbs the throat and can cause problems. It definitely numbed my tongue and upper part of my throat. I tossed it in the garbage at that point.

I also used the Hylands tablets. I'm not sure if it helped, but it made ME feel better. I gave them Tylenol when I thought things were too incomfortable for them.

I struggle with what I think is right, and following the wishes of the parents. It's a tough one. Good luck.
sharlan 04:48 PM 08-02-2011
I will not use the Orajel. I tell the parents to try it on a sore spot on their gum. When they do, they agree with me.
Kaddidle Care 05:31 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My gf and sister swear by green onions. Just give the little one an onion and let them gnaw on it. I have never tried it.
They are probably so distracted by the horrid taste to think about the teething pain.

I don't know... a drooly kid with onion breath. bleh!
sharlan 05:35 PM 08-02-2011
As I said, I've never tried it, but I guess it's a recognized treatment.
http://www.naturesnaturalhealing.com/Teething.shtml
daycare 05:35 PM 08-02-2011
Hylands teething tablets were pulled from the shelves.
They said that the Bella Donna that was in the little magic pills had no way of knowing how much was in each pill, therefore some would have way more than others. They were my favorite too
Thank god I don't have infants and mine are way past teething !!
SilverSabre25 05:41 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Hylands teething tablets were pulled from the shelves.
They said that the Bella Donna that was in the little magic pills had no way of knowing how much was in each pill, therefore some would have way more than others. They were my favorite too
Thank god I don't have infants and mine are way past teething !!
They are getting back on the shelves: http://www.hylands.com/products/teething.php.
MamaJ 06:18 PM 08-02-2011
Hylands also makes a teething gel.....works quite well! I tried it on canker sore I had.
daycare 06:21 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
They are getting back on the shelves: http://www.hylands.com/products/teething.php.
guess when you dont have littles you fall out of the loop!! thanks for the update on it... Who knows when i just might need them again!!
Tags:medication - children, orajel, pain
Reply Up