Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has Anyone Dealt With A Lengthy Surgery Recovery And How Did You Handle It?
crazydaycarelady 08:06 AM 10-21-2014
I need to have surgery. The doctor says no lifting over a gallon of milk for 3 months.

I have been putting this off for around 5 years but the time has come where I just need to put myself first and get it done. I was thinking in December would be a good time since I already have over a week off and then my assistant can help full time for a couple of weeks in January since she is out of college for break.

So maybe a month off and then her here for a couple of weeks?

I know this will be an inconvenience but if I lose a few kids no biggie since I am trying to lower my numbers anyway and have 2 preggo dcms.

Do you think that will be enough time? The other option is to just take all of next summer off.

I really hate to inconvenience the parents but this needs to get done. I am going to the doc this afternoon and hoping to schedule this all out.
Unregistered 08:34 AM 10-21-2014
When I had surgery, I was off for four weeks, had fulltime help for two weeks, and had several people scheduled to come in to change diapers and put in cribs after that. It was mostly my sub and two daycare parents who worked close by or worked from home.
I ended up doing a few myself, but was as careful as possible and I survived ok.
Annalee 09:26 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I need a hysterectomy. With other repairs the doctor says no lifting over a gallon of milk for 3 months.

I have been putting this off for around 5 years but the time has come where I just need to put myself first and get it done. I was thinking in December would be a good time since I already have over a week off and then my assistant can help full time for a couple of weeks in January since she is out of college for break.

So maybe a month off and then her here for a couple of weeks?

I know this will be an inconvenience but if I lose a few kids no biggie since I am trying to lower my numbers anyway and have 2 preggo dcms.

Do you think that will be enough time? The other option is to just take all of next summer off.

I really hate to inconvenience the parents but this needs to get done. I am going to the doc this afternoon and hoping to schedule this all out.
My mom which is my assistant had it labroscopic (spelling?) and she did fine....came back and sit in the daycare when she come home from hospital....just had to be careful and we told kids not to jump on her and she didn't lift, but she is a "pioneer woman".. Hopefully, I got a few of her genes....
sharlan 09:33 AM 10-21-2014
I started my daycare 8 weeks after having my hysterectomy. (BEST surgery I ever had!)

I had a mastectomy w/ tram flap reconstructive surgery back in 1/92. I took off the 8 days I was in the hospital. I came home from the hospital on Tuesday, took the that week off, and the kids came back on Monday. I was off a total of 2 weeks. My 1 yo took another two weeks off.

It all depends on you and your body, what you can handle. You know yourself better than anyone.
crazydaycarelady 11:02 AM 10-21-2014
I have had surgery before and took a week off then one week with FT help then just was careful.

The doc wants to do a bladder sling and that is what requires the 3mo no lifting rule

I'm just so nervous to tell the parents, like they are going to be mad at me. Maybe I can have the doc give me a spine too!
Reply Up