Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighborhood Permission
Controlled Chaos 03:08 PM 10-24-2014
I am knee deep in licensing paperwork and at the city office today was told I need all surrounding neighbors to sign off on my home daycare. I am going door to door tonight to get the signatures. I am super nervous. We are buying the house specifically to do daycare, what if one neighbor is a jerk? Can they stop me? We close on the house Thursday, so in 6 days. I can't close on a properly I can't make a living with
AuntTami 03:32 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I am knee deep in licensing paperwork and at the city office today was told I need all surrounding neighbors to sign off on my home daycare. I am going door to door tonight to get the signatures. I am super nervous. We are buying the house specifically to do daycare, what if one neighbor is a jerk? Can they stop me? We close on the house Thursday, so in 6 days. I can't close on a properly I can't make a living with
Can they DO that? Stop you I mean? It's personal property, unless it's an HOA, I don't see how the neighbors have anything to do with your business, and even if it IS an HOA, wouldn't you need the HOA permission, not the neighbors? I havn't gone through the licensing procedure yet, so maybe this is normal, but it sounds absurd to me...I guess just make sure you present yourself as respectful and responsible, help show them that you're not going to be doing any funny business, or have 50 kids running around the neighborhood at all hours of the night.
Naptime yet? 03:41 PM 10-24-2014
I had to go through zoning because I'm outside "city" limits, they posted a sign at the end of my street & sent a letter to pretty much all my neighbors on the entire street ( and then some) about my opening a daycare...

One neighbor actually showed up at my zoning hearing, was afraid there would be too much traffic on my street (or, as they said, "Our cat lies in the middle of the street & we're afraid it will get hit")....

Anyway, it all worked out, I think the only way you could be prevented from opening is if all the neighbors rallied together & had a good argument against you opening in the first place.

I think you'll be fine, especially since you're taking the time to meet & greet.

Good luck!
Heidi 04:09 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Can they DO that? Stop you I mean? It's personal property, unless it's an HOA, I don't see how the neighbors have anything to do with your business, and even if it IS an HOA, wouldn't you need the HOA permission, not the neighbors? I havn't gone through the licensing procedure yet, so maybe this is normal, but it sounds absurd to me...I guess just make sure you present yourself as respectful and responsible, help show them that you're not going to be doing any funny business, or have 50 kids running around the neighborhood at all hours of the night.
You're lucky to live in WI. It's written into state law that no city or township can require special zoning for FAMILY childcare.
AuntTami 04:18 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
You're lucky to live in WI. It's written into state law that no city or township can require special zoning for FAMILY childcare.
AH HA! Maybe that is why it sounds so absurd to me! I was thinking "I've never heard of such a thing!" Guess I didn't realize it was so awesome to live in Wisconsin....I'll try to remember that this winter when I'm shoveling the 15 feet of snow...
Controlled Chaos 08:01 PM 10-24-2014
I panicked for nothing. I took my 3 littles with me so the neighbors had so be nice and they were. Only one of the 8 gave me a sort of scary look and questioned me about my plan for parking (my driveway...bam ) but everyone else had already signed so I think she figured it was happening either way. And now I know all my new neighbors! There are tons of kids my kids' ages and they were all out playing in the street (little scarey) and running in and out of everyones houses and yards...it seems like a super awesome, open, friendly community.

I am soooo excited!

CPR class first thing in the morning and then I just have to wait until we are painted and moved in to get the fire and health inspection -then turn in my application and BAM...up to 120 days later I will be licensed Its a hell of a process, isn't it?!
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 10-25-2014
How exciting! And it sounds like a nice neighborhood to be in!

Yeh, I had to go through zoning a million years ago when I started too. They're afraid of traffic, people parking on their property, noise, you name it. I remember going to everybody and begging for their signatures.
Reply Up