Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Bounced Check... UGH!
EchoMom 04:25 PM 10-03-2013
Someone bounced a check! Ugh! I have it narrowed down to the 3 possible families it could be, but won't know until tomorrow morning when the bank shows it not as pending anymore.

I'm just sick over it. I SUSPECT one person I think it is, and it's an aquantaince/friend who as a favor I allowed to pay no deposit. (I know I know!)

The other 2 possibilities are some newer clients that have been with me about a month and the other 2 weeks but both seem like it wouldn't be them.

Problem is, I wish I knew who it was now so I could refuse service tomorrow, but I don't know for sure until only a few minutes before or after kids start arriving.

Grr.....
Cradle2crayons 05:16 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Someone bounced a check! Ugh! I have it narrowed down to the 3 possible families it could be, but won't know until tomorrow morning when the bank shows it not as pending anymore.

I'm just sick over it. I SUSPECT one person I think it is, and it's an aquantaince/friend who as a favor I allowed to pay no deposit. (I know I know!)

The other 2 possibilities are some newer clients that have been with me about a month and the other 2 weeks but both seem like it wouldn't be them.

Problem is, I wish I knew who it was now so I could refuse service tomorrow, but I don't know for sure until only a few minutes before or after kids start arriving.

Grr.....
Wow... Sorry that happened to you.... Reminds me why I don't accept anything other than cash... Except my childcare subsidy which was direct deposit and now is a physical check.

If it were me, as soon as I found out in the am, I would notify the parent immediately and tell them the amount of the check + insufficient funds fee + late fee (because payment is now late) is due within one hour or they need to pick up their child until its paid.
EchoMom 06:29 PM 10-03-2013
Wait really? Is this what others would do? My contract says and I was thinking they would need to pay the weekly rate that bounced plus a $35 fee as stated in contract. But do I also charge a late fee???? 10 per day would add an additional 50. Doesn't that seem over the top?
Cradle2crayons 06:53 PM 10-03-2013
Wait really? Is this what others would do? My contract says and I was thinking they would need to pay the weekly rate that bounced plus a $35 fee as stated in contract. But do I also charge a late fee???? 10 per day would add an additional 50. Doesn't that seem over the top?
I do that because that check is supposed to be good on e day it is paid.. So since you still don't have your payment that I assume was due Monday, en yes, payment is late.

Of course, you have to follow your contract.

Since yr contract only says face value plus bounced check fee, then that's what you would charge. My policy and contract is different. That's why I said that's what I would do
EchoMom 07:04 PM 10-03-2013
My contract says $35 bounced check fee plus any bank fees I incur as a result. I also have a late fee but the two fees are not listed as one. Never had this problem before but what you'resayingmakes total sense since you're right I was suppose to be paid Monday and still am not. But I wonder if that would be such a hefty fee I'd lose an otherwise good client or friend depending on who it turns out did it.

What do others do?
Cradle2crayons 07:25 PM 10-03-2013
My contract says $35 bounced check fee plus any bank fees I incur as a result. I also have a late fee but the two fees are not listed as one. Never had this problem before but what you'resayingmakes total sense since you're right I was suppose to be paid Monday and still am not. But I wonder if that would be such a hefty fee I'd lose an otherwise good client or friend depending on who it turns out did it.

What do others do?
I'm not sure but bare minimum I'd refuse care until they paid the check and the $35 bounced check fee. And then let them know next time ere will be a late fee also.
Leigh 07:32 PM 10-03-2013
I figure that a bounced check is an accident, and I don't charge a late fee for it. I DO, however, charge a $40 returned check fee, and if there is a 2nd bounced check within 6 months, I will only accept cash from that family. I would deal with this on a case by case basis. I would just tell the family that their check bounced, and payment is due in cash by pickup time, along with my $40 returned check fee. If payment is not received by then, THAT is when I would start to impose a late fee. Perhaps this would work better for you, since you seem resistant to charging a late fee from the date the check was written?
EchoMom 04:02 AM 10-04-2013
Ugh... The bounced check is viewable in my online banking now. The bad check belongs to................................ my friend/acquantaince. Grrr.....
Cradle2crayons 05:08 AM 10-04-2013
Ugh... The bounced check is viewable in my online banking now. The bad check belongs to................................ my friend/acquantaince. Grrr.....
Ahhhhhhhhhhh
WImom 05:11 AM 10-04-2013
I charge $15 fee for bouncing plus bank fees. If it happens more than once or it's not someone that I think it won't happen again then it's cash for now on. I've had 4 clients bounce checks in the last 5 years.
daycarediva 05:14 AM 10-04-2013

What do others do?
I charge a $35 fee, plus late fees and they can only bounce one check ever, and cash from then on. It's happened to me a few times.
Cradle2crayons 05:16 AM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I charge a $35 fee, plus late fees and they can only bounce one check ever, and cash from then on. It's happened to me a few times.
see I'm not crazy lol.

The way I see it... Is if I bounce a check to pay my light bill.... I'm responsible for the check, the bounce, and a late fee because my bill wasn't paid on time.
snbauser 05:17 AM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I figure that a bounced check is an accident, and I don't charge a late fee for it. I DO, however, charge a $40 returned check fee, and if there is a 2nd bounced check within 6 months, I will only accept cash from that family.
This is what I typically do. What always bothers me the most though is that with online access to bank accounts, most people know that their check bounced before we do. Yet no on ever comes to us to say oops I bounced a check. They wait for us to come to them.
Play Care 05:26 AM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I figure that a bounced check is an accident, and I don't charge a late fee for it. I DO, however, charge a $40 returned check fee, and if there is a 2nd bounced check within 6 months, I will only accept cash from that family. I would deal with this on a case by case basis. I would just tell the family that their check bounced, and payment is due in cash by pickup time, along with my $40 returned check fee. If payment is not received by then, THAT is when I would start to impose a late fee. Perhaps this would work better for you, since you seem resistant to charging a late fee from the date the check was written?
This is what I do as well, but in nine years I've had one bounced check and it was actually *my* fault - mom had given me a check before they went on vacation and mom asked me not to cash it until the due date as there was no money in the account. I agreed to it (great family with great history)I forgot to put a note on it, DH saw it in the cash drawer and added it to the weekly checks Soooo it bounced
Leanna 06:13 AM 10-04-2013
I don't know the family, but I don't think they would intentionally bounce a check...I mean they need daycare don't they? I would charge them a fee for the bounced check (whatever the bank charges) but not a late fee. It is also in my contract that all payments must be made in cash after any bounced checks.
Good luck...I know it can be awkward to discuss these topics with DCF's!
SilverSabre25 06:41 AM 10-04-2013
We bounced a check recently. The check and our deposit crossed midstream. it was really annoying.

not saying that it wasn't intentional or wouldn't happen again, but it DOES happen unintentionally sometimes.
daycaremum 07:07 AM 10-04-2013
I charge a penalty of $35 for bouncing a cheque and they must pay the balance owed before any more care is provided. From then on I only take payment from that family in cash, in advance of care. (currently I take payment every Friday for that week)
LaLa1923 07:09 AM 10-04-2013
This is why I have a card reader. I would also require payment before they drop off again. There would also be a $10 late fee per day as well as the bounced fee of $35.
They would also not be able to use a check again.

IMO I don't see how it was an accident. You never write a check when the funds aren't there yet. KWIM??
Sunshine75 07:34 AM 10-04-2013
That could have been a scary situation for you as well if you had thought the funds were there and wrote checks off it. In essence she kept you from using money that was rightfully yours for care provided x amount of days. That would irk me as our budget is tight. That is why I would add a late fee. You could set one amount versus a daily amount but I would make it enough that it gets your point across.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 10-04-2013
My handbook says :

In the event that a check is returned as NSF, parents are responsible for the following fees: any cost associated with non-payment, including but not limited to, return check fees ($30.00), insufficient funds fees, collection fees, court costs, and substitute fees.

An NSF check is considered a late payment and all late fees and rules will be applied. Late fees are $10* per calendar day

Once a check is issued it will be considered payment. Checks will NOT be held. Please do not ask me to do this.

After an NSF check, cash will be the only form of payment accepted.

I also agree with the poster who said that most times the check writer knows FULL well the check is NSF long BEFORE we are aware of it. For that reason, I charge late fees, and ALL additional costs that I may incur due to the bad check.

I also ONLY accept cash after an NSF check.

EchoMom ~ HOW this parent handles this would determine how I would handle it...kwim?

If it really was an honest mistake, I'd be willing to work it out with her.

If she simply acts like it was/is no big deal, then she would be paying ALL fees and prepaying in cash ONLY from now on.
Memc2001 09:15 AM 10-04-2013
Hopefully your friend/acquaintance will pony up the money before you have to ask. I never charge more than what my bank fees are. I don't have a late fee, I just simply refuse service if it is not paid in a timely fashion. It's up to you, it's your business.
EchoMom 12:03 PM 10-04-2013
Family did not respond to my early morning text letting them know about the bounced check and fee. Dad shows up with DCK and I tell him the check was returned and there was a fee. He was like "Seriously?! Ahhh." But not sure if he meant Seriously like I'm charging him or like seriously his check bounced. I allowed DCK to attend today, even though I have no deposit and they owe the money plus NSF fee. Anyone else I wouldn't, but you know... a friend...

DCM texts me saying she's so embarrassed, it was a mistake, not their fault, bank messed up (I don't really believe that though....), it will never happen again but she can't bring me the money today. (Again, I think that's BS because she's at home with a newborn and she COULD drive over here and bring it, or she said her husband could bring it at 8pm). When I told her it must be paid today or have an additional $10/day late fee she said ok she'd add that on too and pay it tomorrow when I come over to her house (we had a scheduled get together for tomorrow).

Her attitude in text seemed mixed... On one hand some of her texts seemed like she thought I wasn't being flexible enough (Oh H*LL no!), on the other hand she seemed polite and like she doesn't want to lose her DC spot.

I'm frustrated that this is so classic... favors that backfire and now I look like I'm not flexible enough! Grr...
Crazy8 12:11 PM 10-04-2013
this sounds like trouble.... no deposit, bounced check and now no payment till Saturday??? And she's supposed to pay again on Monday for next week?? I would require all future payments in cash. This is why I will never provide daycare for a friend!!!
Leigh 02:29 PM 10-04-2013
Family did not respond to my early morning text letting them know about the bounced check and fee. Dad shows up with DCK and I tell him the check was returned and there was a fee. He was like "Seriously?! Ahhh." But not sure if he meant Seriously like I'm charging him or like seriously his check bounced. I allowed DCK to attend today, even though I have no deposit and they owe the money plus NSF fee. Anyone else I wouldn't, but you know... a friend...

DCM texts me saying she's so embarrassed, it was a mistake, not their fault, bank messed up (I don't really believe that though....), it will never happen again but she can't bring me the money today. (Again, I think that's BS because she's at home with a newborn and she COULD drive over here and bring it, or she said her husband could bring it at 8pm). When I told her it must be paid today or have an additional $10/day late fee she said ok she'd add that on too and pay it tomorrow when I come over to her house (we had a scheduled get together for tomorrow).

Her attitude in text seemed mixed... On one hand some of her texts seemed like she thought I wasn't being flexible enough (Oh H*LL no!), on the other hand she seemed polite and like she doesn't want to lose her DC spot.

I'm frustrated that this is so classic... favors that backfire and now I look like I'm not flexible enough! Grr...
I agree that the bank messing up isn't too believable, but it actually happened to me TWICE in a TWO WEEK period! My bank's software must have been screwed up, but twice it sent through ALL of my checks twice. On 2 separate occasions, exactly 2 weeks apart. And this was in the days that I wrote a check for EVERYTHING. I was overdrawn $1400 the first time. The bank finally fixed it, after days of arguing with them. The second time it happened, I went to a teller, and she said it was no problem-this same thing happened to everyone a few weeks ago, too! It was stressful and ridiculously frustrating to deal with. I have also had automatic withdrawals pull early on more than one occasion. So, banks CAN make mistakes. They don't do it very often, though.
se7en 04:09 PM 10-04-2013
Twice now , in the past 6 years, somebody got privacy info through a debit card and stole our money. The bank reimbursed us and sent us new cards, but for . 2 days all the checks bounced, and we didn't know until the bank called to ask if we had been to Spain !!! So yes, in circumstances lime that, it can happen without the customer knowing their was no $$ in the account.
rhondawarren 05:09 PM 10-04-2013
That's why I tell them I prefer cash and ... at the start of the week!!!
hgonzalez 06:33 AM 10-05-2013
My policy is similar. Payment due on the first day of a family's daycare week at drop off.

Bounced check = $35 fee, any charges I incur as a result and cash payment for that week and all fees as soon as I notify them. Late fees will be charged as well and I will not care for the children until it is paid in full.

Cash only from there on out....

I had a client do this their first week here. Now they occasionally hand me cash and it is not enough so I have to remind them they owe me, so now I count it in front of them.
momofboys 06:39 AM 10-05-2013
Wondering how this turned out - know you are supposed to get paid when you go to the gathering today so update when you have a chance! I would be ticked. I hope the get together is not awkward!
EchoMom 09:47 AM 10-05-2013
Thanks for asking. So on Friday when all this happened another mutual friend of ours does dcks pick up every day for dcm ( dcm was on bed rest and now has a Newborn). The pickingfriend had the cash with her at pick up. So she paid the rate plus 35 fee. Assuming dcm is supposed to pay her back.

Hangout with dcm went well today. Some tension some smoothed over mostly good. I did tell her I would need a deposit before she could bring the new baby to me.
misslori50 02:18 PM 10-07-2013
Most banks have a number you can call any time
misslori50 02:18 PM 10-07-2013
Also I dont take checks EVER
Tags:bounced check
Reply Up