Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Big Is Your Playground?
rhondawarren 10:10 AM 04-14-2014
How big is your Day Care Playground?

I am working on getting my daycare ready that we built onto the side of our home. So, I am also wanting to start working on a fenced in playground. I was wondering what size all of your playgrounds were? I want to be sure its big enough.

I thought about doing it 16ft wide x 28ft long. I wonder if I should go bigger?
sarah33 10:34 AM 04-14-2014
This is how I laid out our backyard. We have .18 acre, and the space behind the playset is actually the open space maintained by our association. I set it up with the largest piece in the back middle, with two benches under the trees (storage as well) for kids to rest if needed. I tried to set it up in some kind of zones and symmetry, with rest spots at either end (play house, sensory table, sandbox) with activity catty corner (roller coaster, teeter totter, and tricycles/bicycles). The middle is where they run around like crazy, play catch, etc. It can easily handle 8 kids without a lot of fighting.
Attached: IMG_20140414_132041_707.jpg (138.0 KB) IMG_20140414_132111_909.jpg (151.5 KB) 
NoMoreJuice! 10:48 AM 04-14-2014
The bigger, the better! The bigger your play area, the more the kids can run, and that's just good for everyone.
Heidi 10:58 AM 04-14-2014
The minimum here is 75 sq ft. per child, no smaller than 600 sq. ft (FCC is licensed for up to 8). 16x28 is quite small. If you have more space, go bigger.
butterfly 11:26 AM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
The bigger, the better! The bigger your play area, the more the kids can run, and that's just good for everyone.

melilley 11:33 AM 04-14-2014
Yes, the bigger the better!
We use my whole backyard (it is fenced in), but we sectioned off an area where we put wood chips (we need them for anything higher than 3ft) and bordered it off with landscape timber. I call this area the "playground", but the kids can run and play in the rest of the yard. I would post a pic, but it's not working.
Cradle2crayons 11:37 AM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
How big is your Day Care Playground?

I am working on getting my daycare ready that we built onto the side of our home. So, I am also wanting to start working on a fenced in playground. I was wondering what size all of your playgrounds were? I want to be sure its big enough.

I thought about doing it 16ft wide x 28ft long. I wonder if I should go bigger?
5 acres
Tags:playground, playground size
Reply Up