Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grandpa
cillybean83 02:04 PM 02-09-2011
I love when Grandpa comes to pick up DCG, he's the highlight of my day...and I wish I could have HIM in daycare too lol

Grandpas rock.
Kaddidle Care 02:05 PM 02-09-2011
Awwww!
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
I love when Grandpa comes to pick up DCG, he's the highlight of my day...and I wish I could have HIM in daycare too lol

Grandpas rock.
Why don't you invite him to be a guest reader? The kids love when someone new reads story time with them....plus Gpa may really enjoy some time with all the littles... just a thought.
cillybean83 02:13 PM 02-09-2011
maybe! he's the only "parent" that i let come in, take off his shoes, kick back in the recliner and chill out.

why? because he's pure awesomeness! He'll cuddle with his grand daughter, and he'll even let my son get in on the action while i get his grand daughters stuff together (i never have an idea when grandpa is coming, just THAT he is coming so her things aren't always together)
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 02-09-2011
maybe! he's the only "parent" that i let come in, take off his shoes, kick back in the recliner and chill out.

why? because he's pure awesomeness! He'll cuddle with his grand daughter, and he'll even let my son get in on the action while i get his grand daughters stuff together (i never have an idea when grandpa is coming, just THAT he is coming so her things aren't always together)
Totally someone I would want to be doing story time!! Too bad he isn't for hire...I am sure alot of us would hire him!! Take advantage of the good thing right under your own nose!
cillybean83 02:19 PM 02-09-2011
grandma is pretty cool too, she doesn't come as often but everytime she does, she brings goodies, and she's forever bringing my 14 month old son clothes, she'll show up with a bag and say "look what i got for half price at good will, i don't have a boy grandbaby to buy for so i had to borrow Jack" (my son)...i think it's so sweet! DCG's mom was like "i hope you aren't offended that my mom brings him good will clothes!" and of course i'm not, i'm not to good for good will! I just think it's entirely sweet that she thinks of him when she's shopping
countrymom 05:13 PM 02-09-2011
thats so awesome. I have moms that are like that.
Danielle 03:33 AM 02-10-2011
Grandpas are pretty awesome! One dck is picked up by grandparents often. Grandpa is so friendly, full of laughs and smiles. Grandma on the other hand is short with everyone and doesn't even like to make eye contact with me.
Little People 03:37 AM 02-10-2011
Years ago I had a grandpa like that, and all the children loved him. I think one main thing to him playing with the children was ALL the children were in a single family and no dads in their lives. He would push the kids on the swings and just sit in the pea gravel and play cars

It is nice to have a grandparent/parent that we like having hang out with us!
SandeeAR 05:23 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
Grandpas are pretty awesome! One dck is picked up by grandparents often. Grandpa is so friendly, full of laughs and smiles. Grandma on the other hand is short with everyone and doesn't even like to make eye contact with me.
Sounds like Grandma is a little jealous that you have her Grandkids and not her. Maybe she offered, but parents wanted a daycare environment and for them to just be Grandparents.
Lilbutterflie 06:46 AM 02-10-2011
I love grandparents too! Over the Christmas season, my dad and stepmom visited us from CA. They stayed with us & I was still open (I only have one family and they were totally fine with it). The very first day, all 3 of my dck's were cuddling with "Nana" and she was reading them stories! So cute. They really enjoyed her.
mickey2 06:52 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Sounds like Grandma is a little jealous that you have her Grandkids and not her. Maybe she offered, but parents wanted a daycare environment and for them to just be Grandparents.

That could very well be! I know that I am so fortunate that I have MY grandson every day. My son and his wife wanted him HERE as I have such a great set up for infants and toddlers and we do so much everyday! He has already learned so much and he loves coming to play with his little friends everyday!

I know that his other grandma does really not like that I have him everyday. She is a beautiful lady though and she gets to see him often. She gets to do different things with him. She is able to spend more one on one time with him, and my son and daughter often visit with her and other grampa on weekends. I don't get weekends because I have him all week which means I don't often get to see my son as often as I like except for when he picks up and by that time he is tired from a long day at work and just wants to go home. I have a hard time with that sometimes as I miss my son. :-(

But we always think the grass is always greener on the other side don't we? I try so hard to understand people and see the shoe on the other foot!
SandeeAR 07:13 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
That could very well be! I know that I am so fortunate that I have MY grandson every day. My son and his wife wanted him HERE as I have such a great set up for infants and toddlers and we do so much everyday! He has already learned so much and he loves coming to play with his little friends everyday!

I know that his other grandma does really not like that I have him everyday. She is a beautiful lady though and she gets to see him often. She gets to do different things with him. She is able to spend more one on one time with him, and my son and daughter often visit with her and other grampa on weekends. I don't get weekends because I have him all week which means I don't often get to see my son as often as I like except for when he picks up and by that time he is tired from a long day at work and just wants to go home. I have a hard time with that sometimes as I miss my son. :-(

But we always think the grass is always greener on the other side don't we? I try so hard to understand people and see the shoe on the other foot!
My DD is trying for a baby now. We have already talked about my keeping the future grandkids. We live 1 1/2 blocks apart, so very easy drop off/pick up LOL. We have also talked about the fact that we will still get some weekend time with them. Just b/c I have them during working hours, my husband doesn't, he is at work too. Also, I want some of the "playtime as a grandparent", not just the daycare time with the other kids.
mickey2 09:29 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
My DD is trying for a baby now. We have already talked about my keeping the future grandkids. We live 1 1/2 blocks apart, so very easy drop off/pick up LOL. We have also talked about the fact that we will still get some weekend time with them. Just b/c I have them during working hours, my husband doesn't, he is at work too. Also, I want some of the "playtime as a grandparent", not just the daycare time with the other kids.
Being a grandma is the most amazing thing in the world next to being a mommy! You will LOVE it!!!

I do spend a lot of alone time as I stagger the naps in order to spend time with my baby grandson! He naps when the other children are up and when they sleep he stays up. I tell my daytime children that they are special and I want to spend alone time with them when I put my grandson for his nap, so its not a problem when he stays up and they go to bed.

My problem is this. As much as I do feel envious a bit at times that other grandma sees my grandson and my own grown son as a family for more "alone time" than me, there is a reason for it. My children are 30- 28- 27- 23. My baby is only 7 and he is involved in many things during the weekend. I chose to have another baby 7 years ago and I will never regret this decision but it has prevented me from being able to do things a lot of the time with my grown children.
momatheart 09:33 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why don't you invite him to be a guest reader? The kids love when someone new reads story time with them....plus Gpa may really enjoy some time with all the littles... just a thought.
Love this idea!
momofboys 09:40 AM 02-10-2011

That's so sweet that he plays surrogate grandpa with your son too.
Tags:grandparent - pick up, grandparents, pick up
Reply Up