Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Cable & Internet Bill
legomom922 12:18 PM 01-20-2011
My internet is on my cable bill, so should I just combine them in MMK or do I have to break them down separately?
AnythingsPossible 12:58 PM 01-20-2011
We have dishtv and when I first started doing daycare, I called them to see if they could send me a yearly breakdown of my charges, they asked what for and I told them my taxes. They told me that I couldn't deduct anything for my tv services on my taxes unless I paid for a different kind of service, because I am basicly charging parents for their child to watch shows provided by their service. I didn't really understand it, didn't claim it that year, and as we don't watch tv here, have never claimed it on my taxes. Not sure if what i was told is factual or not. I know plenty of providers that do claim the deduction on their taxes, but am curious if anyone else has ever been told something of this nature.
So to your original question, I'm not sure. All of my utilities get lumped together for time/space percentage, so I guess I don't see why you would separate it out. My sewer water and garbage are all on one bill and I don't put them in separately, I guess it would be the same premise.
legomom922 01:27 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
We have dishtv and when I first started doing daycare, I called them to see if they could send me a yearly breakdown of my charges, they asked what for and I told them my taxes. They told me that I couldn't deduct anything for my tv services on my taxes unless I paid for a different kind of service, because I am basicly charging parents for their child to watch shows provided by their service. I didn't really understand it, didn't claim it that year, and as we don't watch tv here, have never claimed it on my taxes. Not sure if what i was told is factual or not. I know plenty of providers that do claim the deduction on their taxes, but am curious if anyone else has ever been told something of this nature.
So to your original question, I'm not sure. All of my utilities get lumped together for time/space percentage, so I guess I don't see why you would separate it out. My sewer water and garbage are all on one bill and I don't put them in separately, I guess it would be the same premise.
Sounds like you just had a nasty person who didnt believe in kids ever watching TV....

Kids watch TV! Nothing wrong with unless they are sitting in front of it for hrs at a time! TV can be very educational.
TomCopeland 05:09 PM 01-20-2011
If kids watch tv you can deduct the t/s% as a utility expense. If you use the internet for business you can also deduct this as t/s%. The cable person you talked to didn't understand family child care, so ignore his advice. You could amend your tax return and claim this now and get a refund.
emosks 05:27 PM 01-20-2011
I break ours down by cable and internet. Luckily on our bill though it is already broken down so I just have to make 2 entries in MMK each month.
lvt77 05:36 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
If kids watch tv you can deduct the t/s% as a utility expense. If you use the internet for business you can also deduct this as t/s%. The cable person you talked to didn't understand family child care, so ignore his advice. You could amend your tax return and claim this now and get a refund.
My tax lady last year did not know squat about home day care taxes, even thogugh she claimed she did.....does this mean I can amend them and redo them corretly this year??? I only wrote off toys last year...... uuugggghhh
legomom922 05:41 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by emosks:
I break ours down by cable and internet. Luckily on our bill though it is already broken down so I just have to make 2 entries in MMK each month.
Ours is broken down too, but I was thinking of combining them just to make it easier on myself and save time, and since I write one ck for both, it just seemed to make the most sense.
TomCopeland 09:26 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
My tax lady last year did not know squat about home day care taxes, even thogugh she claimed she did.....does this mean I can amend them and redo them corretly this year??? I only wrote off toys last year...... uuugggghhh
You can amend your taxes going back 3 years and get refunds. In your situation you may want to ask your tax preparer to amend your return without charging for it because they made the mistakes.
Tags:deductions, mmk
Reply Up