Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anybody change/Set a 3 day a Week only Schedule for Everyone?
E Daycare 12:57 PM 04-26-2012
I currently have part time kids. Most are mon, wed, and Fri and then I have a sibling set that's 2-3days a week but it changes every week. I'm tired of the sibling set schedule being out of sorts (they can't help it as mom works retail and is on a varied schedule) as I've been doing this a year. The other mon, wed, fri kids are fine but parents keep mumbling they might do 4days or want full time next school year (teachers kids). I've had all these kids 1.5 years or more and I was thinking of changing my daycare to strictly mon, wed, and fri schedule.

My DS is turning 3 this summer and I want to place him in Montessori half day program twice a week so he gets into their system starting next school year. I want to free up tues and thurs so I can transport him and also have time with JUST him. I look forward to time with just him to do things and hang out but it's been few and far between. This sibling group has been coming more than the 2days I officially contracted them for and they pay less due to the less days needed. The sibling group also contains a 7mo old with whom has become the diva and I'm pretty sure the 3rd day is being added on as a way for mom to get some "her" time in. That's fine, she pays me but like I said I contracted for 2days for 3weeks of the month and 3days for the last week. So now it's becoming more of a full time spot compared to their part time needed.

What I'm really wanting is just to be open 3days. I will still continue to do my preschool teaching and food and snack and run just like usual. I know I might lose my sibling group (that's ok. REALLY) and that'll keep my other kids on their current schedule indefinitely. Right now on alternating days those kids go to a family members house as been the agreement for almost 2yrs.

Anyone else do a strictly 3day a week set schedule? Any parents whine about it or drop out? Did you have issues filling spots?
cheerfuldom 01:57 PM 04-26-2012
I think you might have issues filling spots but it may not be too bad if you take kids that need only one or two day a week. Limiting yourself to part time only, specific days only IS going to limit your clientele. Its up to you if it is worth it.
MNMum 03:16 PM 04-26-2012
It depends on your market. Currently I offer a Mon- Thurs. program. many of my families need just T and Th care. I'm thinking about going to just T, W, Th. But I have the ability to pick up hours at my nursing job, so we don't depend entirely on my daycare income to survive. It's harder to get clients the more part time you are...
momofboys 04:27 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I currently have part time kids. Most are mon, wed, and Fri and then I have a sibling set that's 2-3days a week but it changes every week. I'm tired of the sibling set schedule being out of sorts (they can't help it as mom works retail and is on a varied schedule) as I've been doing this a year. The other mon, wed, fri kids are fine but parents keep mumbling they might do 4days or want full time next school year (teachers kids). I've had all these kids 1.5 years or more and I was thinking of changing my daycare to strictly mon, wed, and fri schedule.

My DS is turning 3 this summer and I want to place him in Montessori half day program twice a week so he gets into their system starting next school year. I want to free up tues and thurs so I can transport him and also have time with JUST him. I look forward to time with just him to do things and hang out but it's been few and far between. This sibling group has been coming more than the 2days I officially contracted them for and they pay less due to the less days needed. The sibling group also contains a 7mo old with whom has become the diva and I'm pretty sure the 3rd day is being added on as a way for mom to get some "her" time in. That's fine, she pays me but like I said I contracted for 2days for 3weeks of the month and 3days for the last week. So now it's becoming more of a full time spot compared to their part time needed.

What I'm really wanting is just to be open 3days. I will still continue to do my preschool teaching and food and snack and run just like usual. I know I might lose my sibling group (that's ok. REALLY) and that'll keep my other kids on their current schedule indefinitely. Right now on alternating days those kids go to a family members house as been the agreement for almost 2yrs.

Anyone else do a strictly 3day a week set schedule? Any parents whine about it or drop out? Did you have issues filling spots?
I am actually going to send out new paperwork to a family who has a flexible schedule (not flexible - their days vary - 1 week it's MTTH & the next week they need TH/Fri. Starting soon I wll be switching them to having to pay for 3 days/week even if they only use 2. I am okay with losing them also b/c their schedule is a pain to manage. I feel like I can never make appts ahead of time because I only have their schedule 2-3 weeks in advance. I'd just send out a letter letting them know as of _______date your care dates will change to only MWF & that puts the ball in their court to figure out what to do. Good luck! I think that's great that you will have 2 days just w/your child & allow a little "you" time also when he is at 1/2 day montessori school.
Reply Up