Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Wants a Hold Contract?
gbcc 02:48 PM 06-11-2010
Has anyone ever heard of this? They are pulling the child from daycare in September and want a provider ready for that time. I told them I can't guarentee there will be a spot since it is so many months away. She requested to come meet me and if we like each other, sign a contract that I will hold a spot. Come to find out it's only 3 days per week. What would a contract even entail to make her feel secure about the spot and what would the possible consequences be?

I will just request she call me in September. I can't hold a spot with no pay, especially if it's part time.
melskids 02:53 PM 06-11-2010
only if she gives you the full time fee each week all summer to hold it. wishful thinking

no way would i hold a spot all summer for free, especially if she only needs 3 days. not happenin'
momma2girls 02:59 PM 06-11-2010
Me neither!! I have so learnt my lesson on this one!!!
emosks 06:18 PM 06-11-2010
Make her pay half of what a month would cost per month to hold the spot.

We charge $100 a month to hold spots which is cheap.
momma2girls 06:35 PM 06-11-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
Make her pay half of what a month would cost per month to hold the spot.

We charge $100 a month to hold spots which is cheap.
I do similiar now- I charge 1 week per month to hold a spot
judytrickett 07:36 PM 06-11-2010
I would tell her that SURE you will hold it - for the cost of three days fees every week between now and September that are NON refundable should they change their mind. One lump sum in cheque or cash would be fine!
tymaboy 06:50 AM 06-12-2010
If you decide to hold the spot for a fee this is what I use

Originally Posted by :
Parental Agreement

In order to hold my/our child(ren's) spot(s) in *** Child Care longer than two weeks I/we understand a non-refundable holding fee of $XX per child within five days of acceptance, which will hold a spot for my/our child(ren) for a total of 1 month, if additional time is needed I/we will pay an additional $XX for each additional month needed. I/we also understand that If for any reason the child fails to start when expected, the deposit will be forfeited as holding fees, as will the holding spot.

Provider’s Agreement

If parents honor above agreement, *** Child Care will hold a spot for their child(ren) until the child(ren)s starting date. Should circumstances arise where Mrs. *** is not able/willing to care for the child after all, she will refund all normally non-refundable holding fee payments.

I/we are planning on our child beginning in childcare on/in .If child does not start by above date, without discussing this with Mrs. *** and upon our agreement - this agreement is null and void.

(Parent or guardian) (Date)

(Parent or guardian) (Date)

(Care provider) (Date)

gbcc 07:01 AM 06-12-2010
Tymaboy - That is great thank you. I normally don't hold spots at all. At this point though, I am loosing some children to Kindergarten and I am not getting any request for little ones. I think I will hold off for a couple of weeks to see what I can get.

Thanks everyone!
Former Teacher 07:14 AM 06-12-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Has anyone ever heard of this? They are pulling the child from daycare in September and want a provider ready for that time. I told them I can't guarentee there will be a spot since it is so many months away. She requested to come meet me and if we like each other, sign a contract that I will hold a spot. Come to find out it's only 3 days per week. What would a contract even entail to make her feel secure about the spot and what would the possible consequences be?

I will just request she call me in September. I can't hold a spot with no pay, especially if it's part time.
I would make her pay for something that way if she changes her mind or whatever you aren't out any money. This is where my former director got screwed all the time. She would only charge the non refundable registration fee ($50) to "hold the spot" even if it was months away. Then would get upset when the child wouldn't start. Many people would be like hey what's 50 bucks?

Once there was a family and they were suppose to start their infant. The father came back 2, yes 2 months later wanting his registration back. I had to tell him that it was nonrefundable. He told me that the child's grandmother was going to be watching the child and he REALLY needed the money. Sorry but maybe had he told us 2 months before we would have refunded (NOT!) but sorry with no contact and all..our policy was the money is non refundable. He wasn't happy but oh well.

Long story short...stick to your guns. Remember you are a business owner and you have bills to pay as well. Good luck!
Crystal 11:20 AM 06-12-2010
I charge a 1 week fee to hold a spot. It is non-refundable and is NOT applied to the first week of care.

I've done this many times, as children age out annually, this is how those spaces are typically filled for me. I usually get pregnant Mom's who do this, so it's alwas been a sure thing...they are just preparing ahead, knowing they will need care when they return to work.

I say go fr it, especially if you have children who will be leaving for school at or near that time.
mac60 11:52 AM 06-12-2010
But how long do you hold the spot for, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months. I have been burnt on this before too.
nannyde 12:30 PM 06-12-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
I would tell her that SURE you will hold it - for the cost of three days fees every week between now and September that are NON refundable should they change their mind. One lump sum in cheque or cash would be fine!
Yup no holding without a substantial deposit. It has to be enough that they can't easily walk away from it.

Why else would you do it? My experience is that people like to get their ducks in a row so they have that OPTION of using you. Once they put cold hard cash down and it's not easy to walk away from they stop looking at options.
Tags:contract, hold contract
Reply Up