Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>this kid chokes ever day
cara041083 02:03 PM 10-27-2014
I have a 2 year old boy that will be 3 Nov 5th. He refused to go to the bathroom here (he holds it) the mom wants me to start potty training but he knows what hes doing. He sits on the potty and says no I am not going. He won't even pee in a diaper here. I have him for 9 hours a day and he holds it and then lets lose in the car on the way home. His mom doesn't make him us the potty at home and just keeps him in a diaper. He is also still on a bottle. I won't let him have it here but mom brings one with her at pick up and gives it to him but constantly tells everyone she can't break him of it. There are ALOT of issues like this. I know its the parents and not him. He turns into basically a 1 year old as soon as mom walks in. Well now I have a new problem. Every time he eats he puts bit after bite in his mouth and he chokes at least once a day. I have spoke to mom about and she laughs it off and says hes special. What can I do to get this under control before I have a more serious problem? I try to watch him eat and tell him to chew and swallow before he puts more in, but sometimes he crams it in so fast that I don't see it. I am worried something will happen. The only think I can think of is to feed him by his self and away from everyone and sit with him and basically feed him or try to teach him how to feed his self. This is the only issue I haven't gotten under control. The other once I can manage. He is a very smart kid and I know the root of this is mom.
Cradle2crayons 02:08 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I have a 2 year old boy that will be 3 Nov 5th. He refused to go to the bathroom here (he holds it) the mom wants me to start potty training but he knows what hes doing. He sits on the potty and says no I am not going. He won't even pee in a diaper here. I have him for 9 hours a day and he holds it and then lets lose in the car on the way home. His mom doesn't make him us the potty at home and just keeps him in a diaper. He is also still on a bottle. I won't let him have it here but mom brings one with her at pick up and gives it to him but constantly tells everyone she can't break him of it. There are ALOT of issues like this. I know its the parents and not him. He turns into basically a 1 year old as soon as mom walks in. Well now I have a new problem. Every time he eats he puts bit after bite in his mouth and he chokes at least once a day. I have spoke to mom about and she laughs it off and says hes special. What can I do to get this under control before I have a more serious problem? I try to watch him eat and tell him to chew and swallow before he puts more in, but sometimes he crams it in so fast that I don't see it. I am worried something will happen. The only think I can think of is to feed him by his self and away from everyone and sit with him and basically feed him or try to teach him how to feed his self. This is the only issue I haven't gotten under control. The other once I can manage. He is a very smart kid and I know the root of this is mom.
If I have a child hat shovels food... I give him his food in very very small pieces and only give him a few pieces at a time and make him wait a few seconds before I give more. Eventually, they get it.
AuntTami 02:13 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
Can you feed him very small amounts at a time? Keep the plate of food near you, and give him an empty plate and give him very small amounts at a time so he cant shovel everything in and choke. If he's doing good and going slow, give him a little more each time, but if he starts shoveling it in, cut back to tiny amounts. He's three, he'll catch on.

Is he just super excited to go back to playing or to work on something else?
cara041083 02:26 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Can you feed him very small amounts at a time? Keep the plate of food near you, and give him an empty plate and give him very small amounts at a time so he cant shovel everything in and choke. If he's doing good and going slow, give him a little more each time, but if he starts shoveling it in, cut back to tiny amounts. He's three, he'll catch o

Is he just super excited to go back to playing or to work on something else?

I will try that. No he can be perfectly content even if it's just snack time. He just shovels it in. His mom says he does it at home also. I am just more concerned about it then she is.
Reply Up