Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Income Property
SquirrellyMama 11:21 AM 10-27-2014
Has anyone watched this show? I was watching today and instead of an apartment the owners were wanting a daycare in the basement. They had a 2 year old and newborn twins of their own.

The host said after the reno they would be able to make $4,000/month for daycare. To get that with what I charge I'd need 8 kids. They were hoping for 3 kids at $1000/mo each.

I wonder if they ever got that income?

Kelly
melilley 11:24 AM 10-27-2014
Was it the one where the dh was the daycare provider?
SquirrellyMama 11:26 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Was it the one where the dh was the daycare provider?
No, I'm pretty sure the wife was. They gave her the keys and the dh said it was her business.

Everyone seemed way too optimistic.

Kelly
melilley 11:33 AM 10-27-2014
Oh never mind, it was Love It Or List It that I saw.

They must live in a rich area! That would be $333.34 a week per child to make the $1000 a week! They couldn't have done very much research to see what the going rate in their area was, I have never heard of a home daycare provider making that much, but who knows, maybe.?
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 10-27-2014
Most, if not all of that show takes place in Canada.

The going rate for child care in certain areas of Canada ARE that high.
DaveA 11:37 AM 10-27-2014
I've seen that episode. I about laughed myself sick. Perfect of example of lack of reality in "reality" TV
melilley 11:45 AM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Most, if not all of that show takes place in Canada.

The going rate for child care in certain areas of Canada ARE that high.
Oh yeah, I didn't think aboot that!
SignMeUp 11:52 AM 10-27-2014
I have watched Love It Or List It half a dozen times.
Every single time, the amount that their property appreciated was GREATER than the amount they spent to upgrade.

Yeah, that's how that works
SquirrellyMama 12:12 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I have watched Love It Or List It half a dozen times.
Every single time, the amount that their property appreciated was GREATER than the amount they spent to upgrade.

Yeah, that's how that works
Especially since most of the time they seem to be fixing structural issues to keep the house from falling down.

Kelly
Hazel 12:44 PM 10-27-2014
I haven't seen the show but I would need 5 full timers and a part timer to make that much. believe it or not, I am a lot cheaper compared to other daycares around me. ALOT.. Lol
Unregistered 01:04 PM 10-27-2014
I live in northern America close to Canada. I could charge anywhere from 180-300 a week and still get clients. I've even charged 500 in the past for infants, because a lot of centers don't take them. It's possible, but in my area (I own my house) rents go for 1200 for a studio. It's the same as charging say 100 a week, but your rent is like 600 a month in a lower cost area.

I stopped watching those shows once I realized the majority of them featured some bratty couple in their 20s complaining about stuff most people will never own in their life. Like "You expect me to live in a house without a hot tub?!?!!!!!!!!!!". The houses usually had a huge swimming pool. Click.
Blackcat31 02:31 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Oh yeah, I didn't think aboot that!
LOL!! That always makes me laugh!
Reply Up