Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle SAS And The Bus?
Zoe 06:32 AM 01-10-2011
Hello everyone! I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself! I'm new to the daycare thing (2 years unlicensed, getting my license in Feb) and was very happy to find this site. I've been loving all the support and advice that is available on this forum!

So I've got a DD who's 5 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. I'm thinking ahead as to how to handle her getting to school since I'm doing daycare. The problem I'm running into is that we live on a hill, so if the bus were to actually pick her up in front of our house (however likely that is) she would have to walk down a flight of stairs and wait on a very busy street, and walking a bunch of children down a flight of stairs doesn't sound that great to me. Plus I really don't want her down there by herself. I think she's too young.

There is a corner that might be another option as well, that would require me to walk everyone through the alley then down the hill on a sidewalk. It would be easier, but I live in Minnesota and I'm wondering if anyone does that in the snow with all the little ones.

What do you all do with your SAs or your own SA children and the bus? Do you walk everyone down? Do you have someone take them to school? I'd love some ideas so that I can be prepared in the fall!

Thanks!
melskids 07:02 AM 01-10-2011
i live on top of a mountain on a dirt road, so we have to pack up everyday and drive down to the bus stop. let me tell you... that is the BIGGEST hassle. i am thinking of hiring a helper in the afternoon so i can at least leave the little ones here while i run down.

how big is the hill? how many steps? how close is the house to the stairs?

i would have her wait at the front stoop and when the bus pulls up and opens its doors, then have her go down. i'm sure the bus driver wouldnt mind waiting an extra few seconds.

here, for people who have the bus come to their door, they actually ask the parents to have the child wait at their door so they are safer then waiting right by the road. (its very rural here, with no sidewalks)
Zoe 07:10 AM 01-10-2011
The hill is very steep (about a twenty foot drop) and there are about 30 stairs. It's not so bad on the sidewalk at the corner of the block. We have a privacy fence around our yard so that kids don't fall down our hill. I can see the street from our deck as well as if I stand at the gate at the top of the stairs.

Once she's older, I'm not so concernced. Right now that she's so young (and uncoordinated) if she went down the steps in the winter, I'd want to go down there with her. Which means the other kids who are inside would be unsupervised.

I had a school age kid before and when I called the bus company to see if he could wait at the top of the stairs until the bus got there, they very rudely mentioned that the bus stops at a very busy street and it would hold up traffice too badly. It wasn't such a big deal then cuz he's 8 and could handle himself.
melskids 08:46 AM 01-10-2011
hmmmm.....i see.

are there any older children nearby/next door who could stand with her? or a SAHM or retired person who could stand with her?

if you do have to bring all the kiddos, i guess it would depend on their ages, but... babies would be strapped to me, like a hands free carrier. toddlers would go in some sort of a stroller or wagon, which may be difficult to get down the hill? older children would be taught to buddy up and hold hands, but you have to still be careful. i've had a 4 yr old bolt on me once, even though he knew better.
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 01-10-2011
Welcome fellow Minnesotan!! I can't offer much help in this area because the bus stops in front of my house and since I am in town, my driveway is only like one car length long. Currently I only have 3 SA'ers in care and all three are dropped off by parents after school. They do catch the bus in the mornings from here, but they just head outside when we see the bus. So sorry I couldn't be more help, but welcome to the forum!!
Tags:bus, school-age
Reply Up