Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Explain Your Interview Process Please!!
Crazy8 07:52 AM 10-24-2014
I have had good interviews and lousy interviews in the past. It usually goes something like this:

greet at door, quick walk thru playroom then sit at dining room table. I have a binder with a bunch of old stuff in it, some pictures, some newsletters, letters/thank you cards from parents, etc. I have parents go thru that while we talk. Then I discuss the handbook a little but give it to them to read thru at home, and answer any questions they have.

Is that the norm? Would like to know how others do it. I get nervous and tongue tied sometimes and feel like I would like to spend more time on the handbook. Need to go thru my binder and get rid of some stuff in there too I think.
daycare 08:41 AM 10-24-2014
step 1 phone interview. we discuss what days and hours they need, I talk about how my program works and we decide if we want to move on and schedule a tour. If it seems like a fit on the phone we set up the tour. I tell them at this time to view my website and read my PHB. Be sure to make a list of any questions or concerns they may have.

step 2 tour- I lead, I show them around, give them a good run down about our program, showing them my daily schedule that is on the wall.

From there I open the floor up to let them ask their questions and concerns. That normally always results back to me explaining how our polices work here.

I would say that so far more than half of the people that come to interview do read the PHB online and understand the policies.

From there, I tell them thank you for coming by, we will be in contact soon. Depending on how I felt about them, I might say the above.

If I did not fell 100% about them, I will say thanks for coming by, we will be conducting interviews until the end of the week and when we made our decision, we will contact you to let you know.

If I didn't like a family I really just don't follow up with them. I might even tell them at the interview to be honest with you, I don't really think that our program suits what you are looking for, but here is the number for R&R, I am sure they can help you find a better fit. Some parents hate that, but I am not going to lead anyone on.
TickleMonster 09:20 AM 10-24-2014
I conduct a short phone interview first just to make sure that the hours they need will work for me and my location will work for them. Then I set up an interview. They come and I show them our playroom, especially if their kids come with so that they can play if they wish. We have a seat in the living room which is connected to the play area. I start by giving them a rundown of normal day to day procedures and I show them sample sheets for menus. I then hand them my rules and policies paperwork and allow them a few minutes to read through it (its not long). While they are reading, I take the time to pay attention to their child and see how the child reacts to me. When they finish reading, the floor is open for questions. After that, I end by leading them through a walk through of the rest of the house. If we both feel it would be a good fit, they fill out the contact sheets at this time. If not, I send the contact sheets with them to make a decision at a later date and we end the interview.
Annalee 09:21 AM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I have had good interviews and lousy interviews in the past. It usually goes something like this:

greet at door, quick walk thru playroom then sit at dining room table. I have a binder with a bunch of old stuff in it, some pictures, some newsletters, letters/thank you cards from parents, etc. I have parents go thru that while we talk. Then I discuss the handbook a little but give it to them to read thru at home, and answer any questions they have.

Is that the norm? Would like to know how others do it. I get nervous and tongue tied sometimes and feel like I would like to spend more time on the handbook. Need to go thru my binder and get rid of some stuff in there too I think.
I have a 3-step process...it doesn't always weed out the bad ones but it definitely helps. First, the parents come for interview after daycare hours without child/children and we go over handbook/contract. Second time, they bring the child for a short time during child care hours...Thirdly, I meet with the parents after hours to finalize contract. Usually, I get the "wow, this interview is bigger than I thought it would be" to which I reply, "Although I love this job, IT IS my livelihood and I have procedures to follow based on state licensing guidelines"....my hope is the clients, in turn, show respect....sometimes works, sometimes not!
EchoMom 11:45 AM 10-24-2014
1. I have a really great website with tons of pics and info, hours and rates, etc. This weeds out alot of people, I assume, because I rarely get anyone contact me with hours, ages, etc I Don't take, although sometimes still do.

2. When someone emails me I ask them all my basic screening questions, hours, start date,, previous care situation, reason for change. I've recently started also adding to my question list about potty training progress, behavior, and speech development. I do NOT bother to interview people who I think live to far. I don't care what they say like "oh but for the right place we are willing to drive" because its usually a wasted interview and they go with dinnertime closer.

3. If they answer well and are what I'm looking for, I send handbook contract and credentials in email for them to review. Ask if they have questions. Emails back and forth until I feel like I want them and it would go well, reading for any red flags. I DON'T usually do phone intervIews, hate them. I prefer the emailing as my pre screening.

4. Interview in a person. I try to make 2 interviews in one evening if I have enough interested people, saves on cleaning and prep.

5. I show them kid areas, talk about a few things about the house, set up, etc. Then I set down with them talk a bit more ask if they have questions. CHILD must attend the interview. I MUST meet child so they can see how much ththeir likes it here, see how polite my own son is, and I can try to assess behavior and development. No kid, no intervIew.

6. Tell them I'm interviewing others. Some sign up on spot, Some sign up the same evening, some sign up later, some don't sign up and I don't know why, rarely I reject dinnertime
someone.
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

I send them via e-mail my handbook before the interview. I ask them to make note of any questions they might have about any of my policies.

I also go through the handbook page by page during the interview just to make sure they know etc.
Reply Up