Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Teachers and Childcare Providers
Teachers should have to stay off personal technology 11 55.00%
Teachers are in a different catergory then childcare providers 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teachers and Childcare Providers
Country Kids 02:55 PM 10-29-2014
Blackcat and my posts back and forth got me to thinking about the roll of a teacher and a childcare provider when it comes to "watching" children.

We as childcare providers are not to be on "Technology" but teachers can.

Do you think teachers should be engaged with kids like we are to be and stay off personal technology while in the classroom or do you think they fall under a different "category".
Heidi 02:59 PM 10-29-2014
I personally feel that as a self-employed childcare provider, I can do what ever I want as long as my children are cared for. A teacher is usually employed by someone else, gets breaks, and works 8 hour days. So, unless it's related to her work, she would be limited.

I didn't answer the poll because neither applied.
jenboo 03:12 PM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I personally feel that as a self-employed childcare provider, I can do what ever I want as long as my children are cared for. A teacher is usually employed by someone else, gets breaks, and works 8 hour days. So, unless it's related to her work, she would be limited.

I agree with this!
originalkat 03:42 PM 10-29-2014

This is how I feel as well. I am at home and self employed so I can choose how I spend my time. Even if regs specified otherwise, I would likely not comply because they are not my employer and may not set rules on what I do in my own home other than safety regulations. This is not to say that I am using technology all of the time, but if the kids are playing and I am watching them, I will do whatever computer/technology stuff I please.

Teachers are employed by a district and are charged with teaching lessons and academic skills for 7 hours per day so I do not think they should be using personal technology during that time. Much of a childcare providers work is preparing the environment and allowing the children to play and interact with one another and teaching life skills along the way. This is a much more natural setting than an institution such as a school.
Play Care 05:31 PM 10-29-2014

That said, my husband is a teacher and I know his school monitors computer use. He doesn't have a smart phone (or any cell phone ) so it's not an issue. But he has warned me before to not get naughty in my emails
Leigh 05:47 PM 10-29-2014
I, too, agree with Heidi. I think that most all jobs these days are more worried about creating and enforcing rules than productivity...it's so frustrating for me to see this because employers choose to do this even when no problems exist.

There is evidence that these over-regulated workplaces are LESS productive and have lower morale than ones that just tell people what their job is and let them do it. The solution, IMO, is to deal with the people who don't perform up to expectations and leave the rest of the employees ALONE! I feel the same should apply to teachers and childcare providers. Our jobs are hard-physically and emotionally. If someone needs a few minutes here and there to recharge, fine with me. Teachers, like us, rarely get break times. If I want to get on Facebook while my kids are eating lunch or napping-no one's business but mine.
AuntTami 06:05 PM 10-29-2014
While I agree teachers and childcare providers should be held to different standards in most areas, the part about technology I agree with.

I understand that teachers are responsible for older children that require less supervision, however, WE are still paying them(through taxes) to TEACH our children, not to do yoga, or play candy crush etc. They should be TEACHING.

I don't remember my teachers playing candy crush or surfing the internet in school. I remember them teaching. And when it was "down" time like silent reading or something similar, they were grading papers, rearranging the room, working on lesson plans, or *gasp* TUTORING A STUDENT WHO NEEDED EXTRA HELP! Are you telling me there are NO students today that could use 15 minutes extra of a teachers time to catch up?

Yes, I use technology during nap time, or to respond to a text while I'm sitting with the children, however its short intervals unless it's nap time. Even at nap time, I have so many other things to do, that I don't have TIME to sit on the computer and lolly gag most days.
Crazy8 06:45 PM 10-29-2014

same thoughts here. I am not in a state that specifies I can not be on my personal technology devices either.
daycare 07:01 PM 10-29-2014
As I see it, it depends on what you claim you are doing.

if you say you babysit, then if the kids are safe who cares what you do on the computer, its your company you run it how you see fit. If you work for someone else, thats a different story.

If you say you run a preschool program in your daycare and you claim that you are teaching between the hours of 9am to 1pm, then do what you say you going to do.

if you are on social media between those hours, then as a parent I would be questioning how are you teaching preschool as you say you are if you are playing on the internet/social media.

I agree that teachers don't really fall into the same category as us as they are to be under rules of the school/district/state. They don't make their own rules, schedules and etc. They have designated time they are required to teach and then set hours that they are allowed to take a break.

I think this is a case of apples to oranges...........
Blackcat31 08:15 PM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
While I agree teachers and childcare providers should be held to different standards in most areas, the part about technology I agree with.

I understand that teachers are responsible for older children that require less supervision, however, WE are still paying them(through taxes) to TEACH our children, not to do yoga, or play candy crush etc. They should be TEACHING.

I don't remember my teachers playing candy crush or surfing the internet in school. I remember them teaching. And when it was "down" time like silent reading or something similar, they were grading papers, rearranging the room, working on lesson plans, or *gasp* TUTORING A STUDENT WHO NEEDED EXTRA HELP! Are you telling me there are NO students today that could use 15 minutes extra of a teachers time to catch up?

Yes, I use technology during nap time, or to respond to a text while I'm sitting with the children, however its short intervals unless it's nap time. Even at nap time, I have so many other things to do, that I don't have TIME to sit on the computer and lolly gag most days.
While students read or worked on lessons idependently at our desks many of my school teachers from elementary school all the way through high school spent that time reading the newspaper, doing a crossword puzzle or reading a book.

All of which could be considered personal or non-work related. Especially because this was before the internet and Candy Crush.

Whats the difference between you (general you) using technology during nap time and a teacher doing the same while her students are working quietly on their own?

Are there no daycare children in your care that couldnt use an extra 15 minutes of one on one time with you or a little bit of snuggle time...

I dont mean that ^^ to sound snarky Im just trying to make a point thats its rhe same argument.

We as provides cant argue that teachers shouldnt spend time doing personal things on the internet yet justify that we do....

That makes no sense to me when personally I feel we (providers) should have a higher standard of required supervision rules because of tne ages of the children we care for.
AuntTami 09:14 PM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
While students read or worked on lessons idependently at our desks many of my school teachers from elementary school all the way through high school spent that time reading the newspaper, doing a crossword puzzle or reading a book.

All of which could be considered personal or non-work related. Especially because this was before the internet and Candy Crush.

Whats the difference between you (general you) using technology during nap time and a teacher doing the same while her students are working quietly on their own?

Are there no daycare children in your care that couldnt use an extra 15 minutes of one on one time with you or a little bit of snuggle time...

I dont mean that ^^ to sound snarky Im just trying to make a point thats its rhe same argument.

We as provides cant argue that teachers shouldnt spend time doing personal things on the internet yet justify that we do....

That makes no sense to me when personally I feel we (providers) should have a higher standard of required supervision rules because of tne ages of the children we care for.
You bring up valid points, but my argument would then be, don't teachers also get a "lunch time break"?

If I remember correctly from high school, our teachers got our lunch time as their lunch time, and they also rotated through the week who was on "home room duty" the half hour before and the half hour after lunch.... I would consider THAT to be their "down time"/nap time. I wouldn't question it one bit if a teacher wanted to use technology or play games, or even pick their nose during that time, but to do those things while they're supposed to be teaching a class, in my opinion, isn't acceptable.

Even if the teacher only gets the half hour lunch break, that's a half hour to eat their lunch, and play games/text/etc... I don't spend a half hour a day doing those things, even when it IS nap time...

Sorry, I'm just playing devils advocate tonight I think
Country Kids 08:03 AM 10-30-2014

BC-Do you think then that as a business owner (as some stated we are), that we shouldn't get to run our businesses for us?

From what I'm reading I'm taking from it that you believe we shouldn't be allowed to be on technology while supervising children. Yet the majority of us are on here during the day at some point (alot of us when we have kiddos). As a whole should we only use this sight or any technology when we don't have kiddo's?

I'm seriously wondering on this because I know this has been discussed in our area and they are trying to clarify it on our STARS program and such. They are saying we can be on technology if its for our business but not facebook, gaming, etc. So could we say we are on here for business or would it look more like we are just all talking back and forth. We could ask questions after the kids leave and give answers. Also, trying to clarify business puposes and personal is sometimes a fine line.
daycarediva 09:59 AM 10-30-2014

I agree.

They have designated breaks, paid lesson planning periods, recess, special & lunch when the kids aren't in their care. That's quite a bit of time they can do what they want on their phones. They also work 7:30-3:30 (K-5).

Our K-5 building has a 'phone free classroom' rule, yet I see all day facebook activity from 2 teachers (public facebook!) During my 4th graders ELA lesson time yesterday, his teacher played some farm game with statuses every few minutes. It's an issue!

I am not online/playing games when I am supposed to be doing something else. All of my children's needs are met, they have extras and tons of snuggles. ONLY during free play when it's safe AND I can also actively supervise OR nap.

My clean up is done, my paperwork is done (personal AND business)

They're adorable, but I'm not staring at them while they sleep.

I honestly wish I could clean/do laundry at nap, but it's not safe or within regs to leave them on a separate floor.
Blackcat31 10:20 AM 10-30-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
BC-Do you think then that as a business owner (as some stated we are), that we shouldn't get to run our businesses for us?

From what I'm reading I'm taking from it that you believe we shouldn't be allowed to be on technology while supervising children. Yet the majority of us are on here during the day at some point (alot of us when we have kiddos). As a whole should we only use this sight or any technology when we don't have kiddo's?

I'm seriously wondering on this because I know this has been discussed in our area and they are trying to clarify it on our STARS program and such. They are saying we can be on technology if its for our business but not facebook, gaming, etc. So could we say we are on here for business or would it look more like we are just all talking back and forth. We could ask questions after the kids leave and give answers. Also, trying to clarify business puposes and personal is sometimes a fine line.
The point I was making was that I do NOT believe teachers are the same as child care providers. We are providing care and supervision.

Teachers are NOT providing care or supervision. BIG difference.

As a business owner I believe that we should be able to run our businesses as we see fit (according to the needs of our clients) BUT within state regulations.

I'm not sure why my opinion is so important in this issue... when I really didn't have an opinion in the MA/unregistered thread in the first place.
I just posted MA state rules and regulations were.

The ONLY opinion I had then (and now )is that teachers with a classroom of kids age 6 and older is a 100% completely different situation than a provider with 10 kids UNDER age 5 and in my personal opinion not even comparable.

If a child is injured because of a providers lack of supervision, the provider can be personally sued and liable for the negligence.

If a student in school is injured, lack of supervision or negligence on the teachers part is rarely, if ever a mitigating factor. Let alone mentioned. at all.

So in response to your actual question..... "Do you think then that as a business owner that we shouldn't get to run our businesses for us?" No, I do not think we should be running our businesses FOR US. There are obviously some details (rates, handbooks etc) that we are in charge of but bottom line we are governed by our state licensing regulations.

Simply allowing providers to be in charge of their own supervision guidelines would probably be a scary thought as what one person views as adequate supervision is far from what another person feels is adequate.

It also has a lot to do with the physical environment. Because of that, some environments are simply safer than others. If I take 5 minutes to post on this board, the probability of one of my kids getting hurt is a lot different than other environments based on my personal set up.

Don't know if that answers the question you were asking me but that is my opinion/thoughts on the matter.
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 10-30-2014
You bring up valid points, but my argument would then be, don't teachers also get a "lunch time break"?

If I remember correctly from high school, our teachers got our lunch time as their lunch time, and they also rotated through the week who was on "home room duty" the half hour before and the half hour after lunch.... I would consider THAT to be their "down time"/nap time. I wouldn't question it one bit if a teacher wanted to use technology or play games, or even pick their nose during that time, but to do those things while they're supposed to be teaching a class, in my opinion, isn't acceptable.

Even if the teacher only gets the half hour lunch break, that's a half hour to eat their lunch, and play games/text/etc... I don't spend a half hour a day doing those things, even when it IS nap time...

Sorry, I'm just playing devils advocate tonight I think
I'm sorry but I am still not seeing the comparison between daycare providers and teachers.

Where in the public schools rules/regulations does it say that teachers have to be teaching the kids at all times?

It DOES say in certain state's child care regulations that providers must be supervising the children at ALL times. That is where my argument came in.

We can't compare apples to oranges when teachers are teaching kids and providers are caring for kids. It's like trying to say that you have to follow the same rules when riding a bicycle as you do when you are flying a plane.

TWO very different environments with two totally different purposes.

If a teacher isn't teaching, the child isn't at risk of injury or death.
If a provider isn't supervising, the child is in danger of injury and/or death.
Country Kids 11:39 AM 10-30-2014
Thanks BC!

I guess I have just personally seen way to many things in classrooms these days that makes me wonder how checked out a teacher may be that they aren't noticing these things. It isn't always technology thats distracting them but I believe the majority of the time it is or could be.
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 10-30-2014
Ok...a couple questions for you...

I guess I have just personally seen way to many things in classrooms these days that makes me wonder how checked out a teacher may be that they aren't noticing these things.
Aren't noticing what things?

It isn't always technology thats distracting them but I believe the majority of the time it is or could be.
(similar to above question) distracting them from what?

In your opinion, what exactly is it that the teacher is suppose to be doing when they are supposedly using personal technology ?

Again...not being snarky...just wanting to continue the conversation now that we've started..

And lastly, do you think then that as a business owner (as some stated we are), that we shouldn't get to run our businesses for us?

As a whole should we only use this site or any technology when we don't have kiddos?
AuntTami 03:31 PM 10-30-2014
I'm sorry but I am still not seeing the comparison between daycare providers and teachers.

Where in the public schools rules/regulations does it say that teachers have to be teaching the kids at all times?

It DOES say in certain state's child care regulations that providers must be supervising the children at ALL times. That is where my argument came in.

We can't compare apples to oranges when teachers are teaching kids and providers are caring for kids. It's like trying to say that you have to follow the same rules when riding a bicycle as you do when you are flying a plane.

TWO very different environments with two totally different purposes.

If a teacher isn't teaching, the child isn't at risk of injury or death.
If a provider isn't supervising, the child is in danger of injury and/or death.
I understand what your saying. Maybe I'm not using my words correctly. I guess my point is, that while you're correct, if a teacher isn't teaching, no ones at risk of injury or death, but isn't it then POINTLESS to send our children to school if the teacher isn't TEACHING?

You're correct, we MUST supervise at all times, where a teacher doesn't have to teach at all times, but that brings my question of, what's the point in having a teacher then, if they aren't going to TEACH? WE are REQUIRED to supervise our children AT ALL TIMES, why then is it okay for a teacher to not TEACH at all times, or at least do something remotely education related? Yoga is not educational unless it's a yoga class....

Edited to add: I would follow the same rules on a bicycle as I would in a plane....Same rules as in a car too.... First and Most Important Rule: "Whatever you do, DON'T HIT anything!" Haha
Blackcat31 05:16 PM 10-30-2014
Edited to add: I would follow the same rules on a bicycle as I would in a plane....Same rules as in a car too.... First and Most Important Rule: "Whatever you do, DON'T HIT anything!" Haha
. Definitely agree!!!
NightOwl 05:20 PM 10-30-2014

My thoughts exactly. I have noticed when some people will have 10 or 15 posts throughout the day, at all times of the day, but claim to be providing adequate supervision. I don't see how that is possible. How do providers or teachers have the time to put forth so much effort into their online lives, posting a dozen times or more, and while still providing a safe place for the children in their care?? This amazes me.
Annalee 08:05 PM 10-30-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
My thoughts exactly. I have noticed when some people will have 10 or 15 posts throughout the day, at all times of the day, but claim to be providing adequate supervision. I don't see how that is possible. How do providers or teachers have the time to put forth so much effort into their online lives, posting a dozen times or more, and while still providing a safe place for the children in their care?? This amazes me.
I can't speak for anyone else but I am so observant I notice if a new car goes by on the road. Plus with all the visits I get from state partners, I am constantly on the lookout..I feel I can adequately answer this forum, emails, texts or phone calls when necessary using good judgement depending on what is happening at the time...I don't think what works for one provider or one teacher is necessarily what will work for another....each will have to do what works for them.....I know teachers from both sides of the scale! BC is right when she says SUPERVISION is vital in child care! I do think teachers get much more leeway....not sure I agree because I get frustrated when I find out a teacher put a movie on to end the day because she is simply tired, BUT I also don't won't this teacher telling me how to do my job either.....I think respect and tolerance for each profession has its place. That being said this will probably be a NON-SOLVED issue.
NightOwl 08:40 PM 10-30-2014
Agreed! Your post reminded me of this:

My 15yo son told me, a couple of weeks ago, that his last teacher of the day had a headache that day. So she turned the lights down in the room, told the kids to quietly entertain themselves, laid her head down on her desk and WENT TO SLEEP. For the whole class period. I was just floored.

The school system makes a huge deal out of absences and tardiness, but it's ok for teachers to sleep for an hour and 40 minutes of the day?? I know that's totally different from posting online many times per day, but it's still in the same ballpark and far worse imho.
Country Kids 02:25 PM 11-05-2014
Ok...a couple questions for you...

Aren't noticing what things?

(similar to above question) distracting them from what?

In your opinion, what exactly is it that the teacher is suppose to be doing when they are supposedly using personal technology ?

Again...not being snarky...just wanting to continue the conversation now that we've started..

And lastly, do you think then that as a business owner (as some stated we are), that we shouldn't get to run our businesses for us?

As a whole should we only use this site or any technology when we don't have kiddos?
Totally forgot to get back to you on this-sorry!

1. I have been in classrooms helping on party days, field trip days and the kiddos had to take a spelling test before they could begin the event. The teacher is giving the test but on her phone doing what ever at the same time. How are you giving a test, being on the phone and supervising kids making sure they aren't cheating? Put the phone down and give the test!

I think many other posters gave examples of teachers doing their own thing-whether on their phones/computors or something else and not supervising the kids.

2. The teachers always tell us in letters and in person at conferences if you have any concerns, questions, etc. please contact and we will get right back to you. They are not joking-it literally can be minutes from when you sent yours more often then not. This is during the day when they should be teaching or supervising the class.

3. Teachers are now (at least at our schools) getting students cell phone numbers to text them reminders about test, homework, projects, etc. without parent permission. It happened this year sometime within the first week of school. I think they need to be texting the parents, not the students-way to much libility. What happened to teachers having the kids write it down?

I do think as a business owner I should get to run MY business in my HOME without being put under a microscope. Its getting to the point that a provider can do nothing while children are present.

When questioning what the No Technology meant I was told even while the children are sleeping I need to be watching them and it was told to me in a very serious tone. I can do business only items during naptime but nothing personal-nothing. I bet if I asked we couldn't even read a book as that takes our attention away from the children.

My name is on the business, I pay the taxes, maintain it, take education pertaining to it, but in the long run its not really my business. If you really get to the nitty griddy of it, its not just about technology we cant do, its many other things-cleaning, prep work, a break, tending to our own children, doing our own thing during our lunch time and I'm sure others could add.

Most of the technology is about the QRIS projects but if we dont follow those guidelines we aren't in regulations with them. I also see it intertwining with our state regs. The QRIS area though is coming down to-if we don't participate in it, we will be paid a lower rate for state paid children. If you do participate you will be paid a higher rate. As I see it another interference with MY business.

If we participate in the QRIS program, we have to state many things in our handbook. One thing is the use of technology for ourselves during business hours and exactly how we will use it. Remember it can be for business only-so during naptime I can't email/text unless its to parents, watch tv, play a game, skype (if I knew how) or anything that might be just for me or catch up on family stuff. This is where I have the problem as its my break-last thing I want to do for two hours is business stuff.

Yes, I do participate in my QRIS program in my state but hoping my voice will be heard to change the areas that need to be changed. One area that I was marked down for was my potty training-the five or six steps I do wasn't correct? Still can't figure out how to word it any differently-it all boils down the child becoming potty trained. I have noticed with the program is the cart is many times before the horse and that needs to change.

So every time we are on here during business hours, we are breaking a regulation somewhere in the states eyes. So I guess in order to stay in the regs we need to stay off of all technology till after hours.
Cradle2crayons 03:02 PM 11-05-2014
I would like to also add in... At least here... All classes under fifth grade have two teachers. The actual teacher and he assistant. Not sure if that changes opinions or not. Also, they have way more students than most of us do. My kids classes have 21 each.

Also, I agree I perceive it different because they do get breaks and lunch etc.

I sort of believe on both sides but I think also the fact they are employed by the state may make it different in some respects.
Country Kids 03:16 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I would like to also add in... At least here... All classes under fifth grade have two teachers. The actual teacher and he assistant. Not sure if that changes opinions or not. Also, they have way more students than most of us do. My kids classes have 21 each.

Also, I agree I perceive it different because they do get breaks and lunch etc.

I sort of believe on both sides but I think also the fact they are employed by the state may make it different in some respects.
Meant to bring that up also-our teachers dont have assistants here and the elementary classes can run up to 35 and beyond those grades they can be 35 to 40 I believe one of my children had in a class-40!
Lucy 07:10 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I would like to also add in... At least here... All classes under fifth grade have two teachers. The actual teacher and her assistant. Not sure if that changes opinions or not. Also, they have way more students than most of us do. My kids classes have 21 each.
Ha... we wish! Not in my state. IF the teacher is lucky to have a parent volunteer, then they get some help. Otherwise, no teachers' aides. And class sizes? More like 30ish, unfortunately.
Country Kids 08:44 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Ha... we wish! Not in my state. IF the teacher is lucky to have a parent volunteer, then they get some help. Otherwise, no teachers' aides. And class sizes? More like 30ish, unfortunately.
We are in the same state and I think thats the way it is all over it. My oldest sons 5th grade had 35 in it and that was several years ago as he is a senior this year. My daughters 8th grade math class three years ago had 32 in it. Seems like one of them had 40 kids in a class last year.

Funny as alot of the teachers here don't want help and once they are in middle school/high school they have the students as aides but the can't do to much.
Sunshine44 06:31 AM 11-06-2014
But even if the students get lunch doesn't mean teachers do. This is often their planning time, they have scheduled meetings and other stuff to do.
Country Kids 07:22 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
But even if the students get lunch doesn't mean teachers do. This is often their planning time, they have scheduled meetings and other stuff to do.
All the teachers I know get a lunch break plus a prep period-even down to elementary ages they usually get a prep time.

Our schools let out early once a week so teachers can do meetings, classes and such or they have to go in early/stay late if there are additional ones.
Reply Up