Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick question re: 24/48 hour exclusion policy
childcaremom 05:05 AM 01-27-2016
If a child is sent home due to being unable to participate (tired, etc).... do you require a 48 time period to pass still?

I am leaning towards yes as I assume the child is becoming or is ill, hence the need/desire for rest but wondering what everyone else does.

TIA!
Blackcat31 05:33 AM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
If a child is sent home due to being unable to participate (tired, etc).... do you require a 48 time period to pass still?

I am leaning towards yes as I assume the child is becoming or is ill, hence the need/desire for rest but wondering what everyone else does.

TIA!
I guess I've never had that experience but what I would do is take all the info into consideration (age, behavior yesterday, parents/type of family etc) and make a decision based on that.

If you feel he is getting sick, I'd err on the side of caution and enforce the 48 hour rule.
Ariana 08:02 AM 01-27-2016
If a child seems too tired or seems to be getting sick I don't send home the first time. I only treat symptoms so unless the child is actually sick I won't send home. If the child is continually lethargic and unable to participate I will call the parent and have done so. I allow the child back in the next day if there is no sickness....but will call again if need be.

My policy is when they are sick they must stay home for 24 hours after symptoms have passed. So 24 hours after last bout of diarrhea, or 24 hours after last vomit or last fever. This way kids are not coming in sick. Not all kids are fully recovered after 24/48 hours so for me 24 hours AFTER the LAST symptom works better for me. I also really encourage parents to call if they aren't sure and then I make a call based on what they are saying.
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 01-27-2016
I would not send home for "unable to participate". I would put them to bed and monitor for other signs/symptoms of contagious illness. Fever must be sustained for 30+ minutes, forceful vomiting, productive cough, 2x diarrhea, etc.

I have that ability, though, and my State prefers we offer "mild ill" (common/trivial/non-life threatening childhood illness) care for the financial benefit of the entire family.

I started the 24/48 rule as a way to stop the dreaded dope/drop. 24 hours after the resolution of fever, etc. is the national standard, the "plus 24" is a stupid tax for getting caught medicating and lying about it.
Tags:24/48, dope and drop, dope; drop, exclusion policy, unable to participate
Reply Up