Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Dope-n- drop = termination?
Yes, dope-n-drop is grounds for termination? 19 79.17%
No, its not 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illness Policy
Sugar Magnolia 12:39 PM 11-03-2011
Do you think knowingly bringing your child to school ill, not complying with health policies is grounds for termination? I think 1st dope-n-drop=warning. 2nd offense = termination.
daycare 12:48 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Do you think knowingly bringing your child to school ill, not complying with health policies is grounds for termination? I think 1st dope-n-drop=warning. 2nd offense = termination.
I have in my PHB any parent that brings their child to DC knowingly sick will be termed on the spot without refund.

If they dope and drop same as above.

If the child is sent home stays home for 48 hours min. (Thank you cat for that one....)
If the parent keeps the child home, it's 24 hours or until non-contagious or symptom free and 100% able to participate in normal daycare activities....
Kaddidle Care 01:10 PM 11-03-2011
It depends on how sick the child is - and how contagious.

I mean, if the child complains of a headache and has no fever yet and parent gives Tylenol, I'd let it ride.

If they have a FEVER and they give Tylenol/Motrin and continue to bring the child, then I'd be pretty peeved.

The key is getting the parent to tell you the truth.
Unregistered 01:13 PM 11-03-2011
Logged out for privacy.

I had this happen this week. 10am and DCG14mo's temp suddenly spiked to 101.5* and is grumpy, refusing food and generally miserable. I call DCM who says, "I'd hoped the tylenol would get her through the day. I'll send DCD to get her."

Turns out DCG had a temp of 102* in the AM and mom dosed her and dropped her...didn't say a thing to me until I called her with a feverish baby.

Poor poor baby! She was so sad until she got picked up (I cannot administer OTC meds) and her fever had gone to 102.4* by the time DCD got there to give meds.

I gave them a very stern warning. They are friends of ours (I know, first mistake) so it leaves me emotionally drained when they don't follow the contract they signed and I have to address the issue with them. No dose & drop. No fevers over 101*. Ugggg!
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 11-03-2011
If a parent KNOWINGLY masks an illness then I would term immediately because in this line of work, communication is absolutely vital to making our relationship work.

Knowingly masking an illness is equal to lying. If you lie to me, I will NEVER trust you and if I can't trust you, then I cannot have a working relationship with you. PERIOD.

If a kid has a headache or something else and we (BOTH myself and parent) discuss medicating or whatever...then that is a whole different story. It is the non-disclosure that rocks my boat!
Sugar Magnolia 01:14 PM 11-03-2011
Sorry should have clarified. I am refering to using tylenol to conceal fevers, contagious illness, not headaches, etc.
Meyou 01:27 PM 11-03-2011
Sorry should have clarified. I am refering to using tylenol to conceal fevers, contagious illness, not headaches, etc.
It would be grounds for termination for me. I'm easy to get along with as long as you're being honest with me. But putting me in a situation with a medicated ill child when I don't know they're ill is serious and a deal breaker for me.

I had one here today who had tylenol before he came but Mom called me from home to discuss it before they brought him over. Slight fever (100), clear runny nose, mild cough but he ate breakfast and slept well last night. I said to give him some tylenol and bring him in. We all have runny noses and coughs right now so he might as well come and play.
daycare 02:09 PM 11-03-2011
Dope and Drop would end your stay here really fast.

It's not only dishonest, it shows that you have a lack of respect for me, my family, my house and everyone in attendance.

Goes to show me how selfish you are that you think about whats more important for you and not for your child, for the other children in care or the provider/Providers family.

the provider also gets put in a horrible situation because what if something happens to the child while in DC and the provider has no idea what is going on.

A parent that is willing to do that to their child and me, have no business in my business... Bye bye
Cat Herder 03:49 PM 11-03-2011
The issue comes in with PROVING they did it.

That is why I gave up on it and just added a minimum 48 hour exclusion if I have to send them home sick.

It is very effective.
Cat Herder 03:54 PM 11-03-2011
I think I answered on an identical thread.
KEG123 04:00 PM 11-03-2011
It really depends on the circumstances.

Like others have said, it is the dishonesty that gets under my skin.

One of my dcd's told me last week that he gave his son cough medicine before coming but I understand that. He was coughing, no fever, they had already taken him to the doctor and coughs can linger for a long time. My son went through the exact same thing the week before (but he didn't give it to dcb, I know this because he got sick while I was on my maternity leave, great huh?!)

Fever or other contagous illnesses would totally bug me. Especially since I have a newborn to worry about.
Sugar Magnolia 04:02 PM 11-03-2011
Oops sorry Cat. I noticed after I posted there has been lots of talk about dope-n-drop lately. That time of year I guess. Temps dipping into the 70's = winter here. Lol! I think I know where you stand on this Cat! Would anybody go so far as to reprint Health Policy section of your phb, include a statement like "I have read and understand the Health Policy. I understand that intentional or repeated violation of this policy will be grounds for dismissal, as the health of all children is at stake." ?????
daycare 04:17 PM 11-03-2011
Oops sorry Cat. I noticed after I posted there has been lots of talk about dope-n-drop lately. That time of year I guess. Temps dipping into the 70's = winter here. Lol! I think I know where you stand on this Cat! Would anybody go so far as to reprint Health Policy section of your phb, include a statement like "I have read and understand the Health Policy. I understand that intentional or repeated violation of this policy will be grounds for dismissal, as the health of all children is at stake." ?????
mine already says almost exactly that....
Cat Herder 04:44 PM 11-03-2011
Oh, no... I meant literally.

I think there are two of YOUR posts.

Maybe my computer is at it again....

Found it.. "Illness Policy" is the title.
Sugar Magnolia 04:55 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Oh, no... I meant literally.

I think there are two of YOUR posts.

Maybe my computer is at it again....

Found it.. "Illness Policy" is the title.
Oh NO! You're so right! Sorry everyone!!! Oops I must have goofed somehow trying to add the poll!?! So sorry! Maybe Michael can delete my duplicate post w/o the poll? Another submission from the Redundancy Department of Redundancy! LOL! Doh!
Michael 05:32 PM 11-03-2011
Oh NO! You're so right! Sorry everyone!!! Oops I must have goofed somehow trying to add the poll!?! So sorry! Maybe Michael can delete my duplicate post w/o the poll? Another submission from the Redundancy Department of Redundancy! LOL! Doh!
Ok, I can combine them.
Sugar Magnolia 05:36 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Ok, I can combine them.
Thanks Michael, sorry to make extra work for you! I blame my antiquated blackberry web browser.
wdmmom 05:56 PM 11-03-2011
I didn't read all of the responses. I voted "no" only because my parents always tell me when they've administered tylenol.

I've only had it happen once in my 3 year career and when I called the mom to come get her kid and she refused, I pretty much told her she didn't have a choice and not to come back.
sharlan 06:27 PM 11-03-2011
I voted yes for dope-drop termination. DO NOT give your child any medication and not tell me.

I have had numerous parents give the kids tylenol or cold medication before coming, but to my knowledge, no one has ever given a child medication and not told me.

I don't have an issue with giving a child meds for a low grade fever, cough, runny nose, etc as long as the child is still able to function. (I know, I know, I'm slowly changing.) Fever hits 102*, it's a call to Mom, tylenol, and a cool bath.

1 vomit, I'm ok. 2nd one, the child is isolated on a blanket in another room and mom is called. Any time a child is so miserable that they're crying, Mom gets called.
PitterPatter 10:21 AM 11-04-2011
There should be a middle choice in that poll. If I termed every child that was doped and dropped I would end up terming almost everyone I have ever had as almost every parent has tried to sneak them. If a parent does this once I warn her it is not accepted but I probably would term until the 2nd or 3rd time. Also in my case it's very hard to get new kids in care. There are just too many providers in my area competeing. I don't know many providers that are at full capacity. Another reason I stuggle is I don't take infants or school age. I try my best to forgive and bend when I can just so I keep my clients BUT I have grown a stronger backbone and have become more strict in some other areas thanks to the support here!
Tags:dope and drop, dope; drop, illness policy, poll, sick policy, terminate - sick policy, tylenol
Reply Up