Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Changing Area
KEG123 04:34 PM 12-26-2010
Ok, so I was just thinking about this. I have changed my son on the floor for the past 2.5 years. It's easy, I don't have to worry about him rolling off something, etc. BUT do I need to have something "official" to change the dck's on? Do I need a real changing table, or pad? Or is a blanket under the bum sufficient?
Bizzymom1111 05:19 PM 12-26-2010
Depends on your licensing regs. I'm in minnesota and my counties regs say you have to have some kind of waterproof pad that can be wiped down between changes, with bleach and h2o mix. Personally, I've always changed my own kids on the floor as well! WAY easier. But I do have a changing pad that I use for the dcks. A rest mat works really well, as you can just put it on the floor. Hope that helps!
KEG123 06:33 AM 12-27-2010
Thanks. Yeah I guess that's one I'll have to call my licensing rep about. I should be having my first inspection here in the next couple weeks after the new year so am rounding off all the "finishing touches"

Oh and for rest mats, I have these foldable cots that I don't think would work so well.
KEG123 02:57 PM 12-27-2010
So nobody else here changes diapers??
Unregistered 04:32 PM 12-27-2010
I use a sturdy, hard plastic, folding table with locking legs. I have it against a back wall with a shelf mounted above it.

The shelf holds a paper towel dispenser, boxes of wipes, a spray bottle of disinfectant, a three tiered wire hanging basket for gloves/creams/powders and a hook/bag for "recycled" plastic grocery bags to hang from.

I use the grocery bags to dispose of diapers, after every diaper changing cycle to avoid unpleasant odors or accidental knocking over of diaper bins. These are discarded outside in a large can hourly at least.

My regs say NOTHING can sit on the table except during use, the surface must be non-porous and sanitised between each use. Gloves are required. Both provider AND child's hands must be washed in warm soapy water and dried between each change. Alcohol gels/wipes are not allowed.

Good luck, it can get really tricky. Be sure to read EVERYTHING before your visit.
Abigail 09:30 PM 12-27-2010
What state are you in? Have you found your local child care licensing web site where you can read endless rules and regulations or do you have a print off of everything? I printed everything from our website and put it in a binder....it's over 200 pages!

With that said, we have to have a changing pad, but not required to have a changing table. Some people just use a changing pad on the bathroom floor and put it away until they need it next. Me, I prefer to stand and change diapers. It's just as easy with bigger kids but I have to use more muscle to lift them!

We are required to have the changing pad be cleaned so we can't have those cute cloth covers. It needs to to sprayed with a water soap mixture and wiped down. Then it needs to be sprayed with a bleach water mixture and let sit for 2 minutes and wiped down or leave it to dry. This must be done after each diaper change.
My Daycare 04:55 AM 12-28-2010
I don't have a changing table or room for one. I have a folding changing pad. When my rep asked to see my changing area. I showed her the pad and told her I would use the floor. She said, "that's fine, but the couch would be better." So, I think that as long as you have something sanitary to change them on, then you'll be OK.
juliebug 05:20 AM 12-28-2010
I have a changing pad i lay on the floor of my bathroom works great and i don't want the risk of a child falling from a high place.
MarinaVanessa 07:19 AM 12-28-2010
I also use a changing mat on the floor. It's plastic/vinyl so I just wipe it down with a clorox wipe and then spray it with bleach when I'm done. Sometimes I get lucky and my MIL brings me hospital "wee wee pads" and I use those and then toss. It makes it more convenient but I wouldn't ever spend the money on them so I use them if I have them.

I wish I had the space and money for one of those fancy DC center style changing tables with the roll out steps and overhead cubbies. That would be great. That's the first thing that I would buy if we get a bigger home. If I did get one I wouldn't use a plastic or vinyl pad. They get porous and start to crack and fall apart after bleaching them after a while. I have to replace my changing mat every few months.
DCMom 09:27 AM 12-28-2010
For many years I used a changing pad on the floor of the bathroom; about a year ago I bought a wall mounted commercial style changing station and I LOVE that thing. Best thing I ever bought. I mounted it right in the bathroom where I keep diapers and wipes, so it works out really well for me.
mrsyecker 09:35 AM 12-28-2010
I use a changing table. It has three drawers on it I use for storing extra changing pads, grocery sacks for the trash can. I have a shelving unit next to the changing table that has a cubbie for each child. I keep all of their diaper changing supplies in their cubbie. I gave each child their own changing pad that can be wiped down. I have a little trash can on top to put dirty diapers in and toss them out at the end of the day. I also use the top of the shelving unit to put all the stuff I need for that child while I am changing them.
DanceMom 09:45 AM 12-28-2010
I actually bought a nice wood changing table that I placed by my kitchen bathroom in a corner ( cant see it unless going to the bathroom ) and its located by their cubbies with their diapers and wipes. Im not for one to change on the floor - I like standing and changing them !

The only thing I know is for licensing here in MN is that you need to have a plastic changing pad that you clean with bleach and water mixture after every diaper change. I dont think it matters where you lay the pad to change them..but I dont think it would fly if I changed kids right in the middle of the floor while other kids are playing.
KEG123 10:05 AM 12-28-2010
Thanks, I do have a copy of the regulations so I'll look again to see if I find anything in there about it.
MarinaVanessa 10:41 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
I dont think it matters where you lay the pad to change them..but I dont think it would fly if I changed kids right in the middle of the floor while other kids are playing.
Yeah, licensing mentioned this once when I changed one of the kiddos on the floor like this. She didn't like it much but since CA regulations aren't really that clear or specific she couldn't do anything about it. I mean, I was changing the kid on a mat which I rolled up when I was finished, we both washed our hands and then I wiped it and then disinfected the mat by spraying it with bleach and leaving it.

I mentioned to her that using a changing pad on a changing table was no different than a pad on the floor and in either case the mats/pads should be replaced after a few months because the bleach eats away at the material and makes it porous making it a great place for bacteria to grow. She was satisfied with that and I havnt had an issue with it since but I'm sure it has a lot to do with where you are and who you get.
KEG123 10:49 AM 12-28-2010
Ok I found something here..." Children who are not toilet trained shall be diapered in their own cribs, at a central diapering area on a surface that is disinfected after each use, or on a disposable paper sheet that is disposed of after each diapering."

Thanks to whoever said to re-read the regulations. They actually just sent me a new copy since some information has changed (or will be changing with the new year.)
Cat Herder 12:14 PM 12-28-2010
Ugh! Changing them in pack-n-plays is so difficult when the get squirmy...
Plus now that drop down cribs have been "outlawed" I bet most will be going with changing tables in the new year... Just the simplest solution?
Tags:diaper changing station
Reply Up