Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Introducing The Daycare Kids To Our New Puppy
Mrs.Ky 09:33 AM 03-01-2011
I'm SO excited, we FINALLY get to pick up our furball baby this Saturday. Would like some suggestions on introducing the kids to the puppy I dont want the kids nor the puppy to be afraid?
MyAngels 09:40 AM 03-01-2011
When we have brought new puppies home I always introduced them much like I do when I have a newborn.

The kids are allowed around the pup only when I am right there, they are allowed to pet gently one at a time, and are not allowed to all "crowd in," they have to take turns and give space. I also limit the time that the pup is around the kids for awhile, gradually increasing as the pup gets older.

I have always crate trained our dogs, too, so they always have a place to get away from the kids if they feel the need.

I have had three dogs over the course of my home daycare career and they were all awesome around the kids.

Good luck with your new "little one!"
Mrs.Ky 09:47 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
When we have brought new puppies home I always introduced them much like I do when I have a newborn.

The kids are allowed around the pup only when I am right there, they are allowed to pet gently one at a time, and are not allowed to all "crowd in," they have to take turns and give space. I also limit the time that the pup is around the kids for awhile, gradually increasing as the pup gets older.

I have always crate trained our dogs, too, so they always have a place to get away from the kids if they feel the need.

I have had three dogs over the course of my home daycare career and they were all awesome around the kids.

Good luck with your new "little one!"
Thanks we r gonna crate train too can you give me some tips on doing this and potty training the Pup you can PM me?
MyAngels 12:00 PM 03-01-2011
I just sent you a PM with all that I could remember. Good luck!
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up