Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>My Contract
AfterSchoolMom 04:58 AM 12-10-2010
Recently it was implied that because I don't have a license, I shouldn't have a contract, and that my contract wouldn't hold up in court. I'm not caring for more children than the state allows. This isn't true, is it? Just checking.

I've actually had several parents tell me that they're put off by how long and strict my contract is, and that they feel it's inappropriate for a home day care environment. Have any of you ever run into this problem?
Bizzymom1111 05:06 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Recently it was implied that because I don't have a license, I shouldn't have a contract, and that my contract wouldn't hold up in court. I'm not caring for more children than the state allows. This isn't true, is it? Just checking.

I've actually had several parents tell me that they're put off by how long and strict my contract is, and that they feel it's inappropriate for a home day care environment. Have any of you ever run into this problem?
IMO, sounds like you'd be better off without the ones questioning your policies. These are the exact kinds of parents that make policy books necessary. Keep doing what you're doing!
legomom922 05:08 AM 12-10-2010
Thats not true! You SHOULD have a contract registred or not..It's to protect you! They just don't like what's in your contract probably...

Maybe you could say to them.."hmmm since I'm not licensed, I don't think you should be taking the chilcare credit on your taxes".......
melskids 05:09 AM 12-10-2010
what they are really trying to say is because you dont have a license, they feel that intitles them to walk all over you because youre not a "real" business. been there done that before i was licensed. dont let them kid you. stick to your guns and keep doing what your doing.
marniewon 05:26 AM 12-10-2010
I agree with everyone else. You certainly should have a contract, and it WILL hold up in court - people make "contracts" all the time - as long as all the info and all signatures are on it, it sure is legal!

I agree also that I'd be wary of anyone questioning your policies - sounds like trouble in the making!
Abigail 10:00 PM 12-12-2010
How long is your contract? Your handbook should be what is longer because the contract should only cover time and money between you and your client.
TomCopeland 01:15 PM 12-13-2010
You can have a contract with a parent even if you are not licensed and this contract will be enforced. There is no rule that says you must be licensed before you can have a contract. Now - if you lie about your status (you tell a parent that you are licensed when you are not) then your contract won't be enforceable.
AfterSchoolMom 01:26 PM 12-13-2010
Thanks, Tom! No, I am very up front about being unlicensed.

I've thought about going the handbook/contract route. If I do that, then the contract would just have my name, their name, the dates of care, the rate, and something that says they've read and agree to the handbook. Right?
ninosqueridos 12:32 PM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I've thought about going the handbook/contract route. If I do that, then the contract would just have my name, their name, the dates of care, the rate, and something that says they've read and agree to the handbook. Right?
That is exactly what I do. At the end of the basic details, I have something like "I have received and agree to abide by the policies in X policy document."
TomCopeland 04:12 PM 12-30-2010
Yes, you can prepare a simple contract for your situation.
Tags:contract, tom copeland
Reply Up