Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent...Bad Weather
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 11-19-2010
I just need to vent about this....
I live in northern Minnesota and when I got up this morning the ENTIRE world is covered in a thick sheet of ice. Schools are closed and the roads are REALLY bad. 4 wheel drive would be useless and traveling would not be wise unless it is absolutely necessary in my opinion. Everything is super shiny out and the freezing rain is still falling. It is suppose to stay right around 28 degrees all day. My DH slid sideways all the way down our gravel driveway with his 4 wheel drive truck that has really grubby tires. Anyways, I have 10 kids scheduled today and of course several of them called and said they did not wish to risk their lives (or their children's) and were just staying home. I have no issue with that. My issue is the 5 kids I do have. All of the families are on state assistance. It is just a weird coincidence that they are the ones who bring their kids out regardless of weather. Of those 5 kids:
1 yr dcb- mom is in college and needs to do some make-up work in the college library..no class today though.
18 month old dcb/5 yr old dcb...parents have errrands to run. (???)
4 yr old dcg.....dad wants to go hunting, mom home sleeping b/c she works nights.
3 yr old dcg...mom has a few things to do up town.

I just can't believe that these parents wait until the last day of the week to do whatever they're doing and risk the bad roads. The 5 absent kids I have are from cash paying families. I am not trying to be discriminating by venting about these families but really??? I also want to point out that I am paid a daily rate by the assistance program and parents get a specific number of days to use per week based on their individual situations. I am not required to check to see if they are working or not b/c it is not my responsibilty and most of these parents have the assistance to either job search or b/c they are in college. In our state parents get a certain amount of hours or days per week for a 6 month period. If they don't use them properly or as intended (which is between them and their case worker) they don't get as many hours the next 6 month period. So in a nut shell, none of them NEED to be here, but they are!!! It is just frustrating when there are days like this and only families who don't pay out of their own pockets for their child care are the ones who show up? I'd bet my last $1 that all, but 1, are at home right now. Grrrrrrr! I also just want to make clear so I do not start a big war, I know all of these parents well....all of them have been on assistance for 2 or more years. I GET that there are families who use assistance to get back on their feet, but these are not those families. I am only venting....not looking to argue about whether assistance should work this way or that....For the record I do NOT like the way assistance works, but I am on the payment end not the law making end. It is just frustrating that it does work the way it does b/c WAAAY too many parents ditch their kids and it is sad.
countrymom 07:55 AM 11-19-2010
I completely understand where your coming from. I too could not understand why, when schools are closed and the weather is bad, parents still feel the need to risk their childrens lives to drop them off only for the parents to go back home (I only charge if your child is here, so its not like they would lose money)
nannyde 08:13 AM 11-19-2010
Ugh

Well that wouldn't happen here because the State doesn't allow payment for days they aren't working or IN school (not studying but class hours only).

Minnesota needs to make like Iowa and get that changed. Today is the day when you know that's true.

Not to change the subject but do you guys get Moose there?

I'm SO dying to get Moose meat. I need a Bullwinkle dealer in Minnesota.
DaycareMama 08:23 AM 11-19-2010
I have the same problem here. Last year we had several feet of snow. Now im tall and the snow that fell overnight was chest deep on me. I had all state pay kids show up. Im talking chest deep snow!!! You could only see the very top of my lamp post! My dh was nowhere near done cleaning us out and he had to carry kids over his head to come in. One mom with 2 little ones actually walked here. And yes ALL of there jobs were closed. Everything was closed!
Its sad. The system is there for a reason. And im not saying these families dont need help. But when the county runs out of money to pay (which happens and i don't get paid for months) Everyone looks around and wonders why?
nikia 08:28 AM 11-19-2010
I agree with you Blackcat. So then my question is should we close when the weather is bad enough for businesses and schools to close? Would this help prevent these parents from taking the risk of bringing their children out in it? I currently dont do this but am considering it this winter, most of the time where I live it gets worst as the day goes on, but my town usually doesnt plow anything until the snow, ice, whatever it may be stops so it gets pretty nasty in my town.
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 11-19-2010
nannyde...I agree that MN should re-evaluate the whole subsidized child care program. We are sometimes slow to get things going so I would be thrilled if it happened...but for now...GRRRRRR! is all I can say.

as far as moose meat goes;
Unfortunately, moose meat is entirely derived from wild shot moose. Since wild shot animals are harvested under state licensing rules, wild shot meat CANNOT be sold to the general public. Only through actual hunting or by gift or donation of wild animal is moose meat available to the public.

Due to unusual eating habits, moose do not survive well under captive conditions, hence there are NO moose farms nor commercial moose meat availability.

My dad lives up in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and occassionally hunts moose. He is retired now so he travels down to Arizona where all the old folks go in the winter, but if he ever does hunt moose again, I'll be sure to let you know. .....ok, I'm talking with him right now and he said he will talk to a few ppl he knows, and let me know.
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I have the same problem here. Last year we had several feet of snow. Now im tall and the snow that fell overnight was chest deep on me. I had all state pay kids show up. Im talking chest deep snow!!! You could only see the very top of my lamp post! My dh was nowhere near done cleaning us out and he had to carry kids over his head to come in. One mom with 2 little ones actually walked here. And yes ALL of there jobs were closed. Everything was closed!
Its sad. The system is there for a reason. And im not saying these families dont need help. But when the county runs out of money to pay (which happens and i don't get paid for months) Everyone looks around and wonders why?
EXACTLY what I mean!! The cash paying families are totally willing to lose a paid day of childcare in order not to risk injury and the families who get it for free make darn sure they use up every last minute....
nannyde 08:37 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
nannyde...I agree that MN should re-evaluate the whole subsidized child care program. We are sometimes slow to get things going so I would be thrilled if it happened...but for now...GRRRRRR! is all I can say.

as far as moose meat goes;
Unfortunately, moose meat is entirely derived from wild shot moose. Since wild shot animals are harvested under state licensing rules, wild shot meat CANNOT be sold to the general public. Only through actual hunting or by gift or donation of wild animal is moose meat available to the public.

Due to unusual eating habits, moose do not survive well under captive conditions, hence there are NO moose farms nor commercial moose meat availability.

My dad lives up in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and occassionally hunts moose. He is retired now so he travels down to Arizona where all the old folks go in the winter, but if he ever does hunt moose again, I'll be sure to let you know. .....ok, I'm talking with him right now and he said he will talk to a few ppl he knows, and let me know.
Oh I likey the gift and donation part.

I have EVERYTHING but Moose. I want it soooooooooooo bad.

Moose is so yummy and wonderful to cook. I know my kiddies will love it and be so thankful to get it. We all love wild game. The utltimate grass fed meat.
Blackcat31 08:38 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
I agree with you Blackcat. So then my question is should we close when the weather is bad enough for businesses and schools to close? Would this help prevent these parents from taking the risk of bringing their children out in it? I currently dont do this but am considering it this winter, most of the time where I live it gets worst as the day goes on, but my town usually doesnt plow anything until the snow, ice, whatever it may be stops so it gets pretty nasty in my town.
I get what you mean! The ONLY reason I did stay open was because I have families who actually have jobs and wanted to be available to those who HAD to go to work. Fortunately those familes have older siblings at home who can cover watching their younger sibs so no one has to go out but I didn't want to leave any family hanging that needed me. I am also seriously thinking of changing my policies and closing on no school days. We will have to see. Wonder if I can make a rule about staying open and available on bad weather/no school days ONLY IF YOU HAVE A JOB. No job/No stay! LOL!
melskids 08:40 AM 11-19-2010
i have families who are teachers. i am in upstate NY as well, and last year when the snow was chest deep, they managed to get their kids here. hello!!! school was closed!! you didnt have to go to work!!!
nikia 08:59 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
i have families who are teachers. i am in upstate NY as well, and last year when the snow was chest deep, they managed to get their kids here. hello!!! school was closed!! you didnt have to go to work!!!
I had a teacher do the same thing, I was just like ummmm okay. I figured if they didnt want to spend the day with their kid then I would. That is one thing that makes this job sad.
DaycareMama 09:12 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
I had a teacher do the same thing, I was just like ummmm okay. I figured if they didnt want to spend the day with their kid then I would. That is one thing that makes this job sad.
I did not plan on being open that day and when kids should up that is exactly what i thougt to.
Live and Learn 09:51 AM 11-19-2010
since I work mostly with teachers I close for school closures.
QualiTcare 10:36 AM 11-19-2010
i know what you mean. i worked at a center before where a lot of the parents were young and got assistance. it was the same way - their kids were ALWAYS there. i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that people on assistance typically were not prepared to have children financially or otherwise. their children were often "surprises" whereas people who pay out of pocket typically (there are always exceptions) had children after they were financially stable and really WANTED them. i had children before i graduated from college and i could've stood to wait a few years, and i do know there are people who get in a bad spot and get assistance due to the economy, divorce, or whatever. but in my experience, it's young parents who weren't really trying to have a child and don't value the time they have with them as much as someone who planned for it and could afford them.
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
but in my experience, it's young parents who weren't really trying to have a child and don't value the time they have with them as much as someone who planned for it and could afford them.
yes, all these parents are VERY young so I guess that is an accurate assumption.
momma2girls 11:14 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
since I work mostly with teachers I close for school closures.
Do you actually have this written into your contract? If so how is it worded?
Live and Learn 12:38 PM 11-19-2010
All of my teachers work for the same school district and my one non teacher has older children who attend the same schools and is self employed and very flexible. My work schedule is based completely on a teacher's work schedule. I open in the fall a few days before school starts as the teachers prep their classroom and I am open any time they are working at school...such as inservice or parent-teacher conferences. If the school closes due to weather they don't work and neither do I. It is part of the agreement.....having said that...school rarely closes due to weather around here in paradise....once or twice a year...maybe!.....I am not sure how this would work if I lived in an area where school regularly closed for weather. I also take off all school holidays and vacations....the down side to this is I have no income during summer, thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break....when many of you are "raking in the dough"...the best part is I get to play in the snow with my OWN kids when we do get the rare snow day.
Live and Learn 12:54 PM 11-19-2010
Black cat 31: It might be appropriate for you to say at pick up today...."in the event of extreme ice events in the future I will be closed. If such and such school district is closed due to weather don't expect me to be open.....this is for the safety of all of my dc families."....I would feel taken advantage of in this situation and personally can not relate to a parent who would rather send there kid to dc rather than spend time with them. Those early days slip by so fast!!
Tags:bad weather, cold weather, minnesota, weather
Reply Up