Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Filing for a Variance in MN
thecrazyisout 05:09 AM 08-16-2011
Hi there,

For those of you in MN, how easy is this? Mine would be for 4 wks (temporary). Any idea on what the process is like and tips?

Thanks!
MommyMuffin 05:24 AM 08-16-2011
There is a form on the mn website and you just fill it out and your licensor will contact you about it. Then the licensors together decide if they will allow it. It depends on how long you need it (hours and days) and the ages.

I got one for a month for being over for 3 hours a day. 3 under 12 months.
While you have a varience you cannot add any children to your daycare. FYI
MARSTELAC 07:18 AM 08-16-2011
I filled out a form for a variance (in MN) and this was months ago. My licensor told me via e-mail to "plan on it". I have accepted the child into care and he starts soon....I still don't have the variance letter. I am very frustrated.
DCMom 08:03 AM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
I filled out a form for a variance (in MN) and this was months ago. My licensor told me via e-mail to "plan on it". I have accepted the child into care and he starts soon....I still don't have the variance letter. I am very frustrated.
I would follow up on that and get something more in writing. The food program will require it when you claim him (if you are on the food program).
daysofelijah 08:08 AM 08-16-2011
Our county (Anoka) makes it pretty tough. They will only grant one for 30 days and usually only if it is to get a new sibling into care. I got one once for a new sibling starting when I already had three under 2.
Blackcat31 02:36 PM 08-16-2011
I've had them in the past. Some for 2 weeks and some for up to 12 months. I download and print off the form https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv...y/DHS-3141-ENG and then drop it in the drop box at my county offices and have it back wihtin 3 business days. I have said it in the past but I will say it again, my licensor rocks!!

(((hugs))) to those of you in MN (and other states) who do not have awesome licensors.

Whether you are approved or denied and turn around time obviously depends on your county/licensor.
2ndFamilyDC 02:54 PM 08-16-2011
I have done dc in MN for 22 years and in past years my licensor had given me a variance anytime I might ask for one. But my last licensor and my current one absolutely will not give them out.
Blackcat31 I WISH my lic. rocked!
Blackcat31 02:58 PM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by 2ndFamilyDC:
I have done dc in MN for 22 years and in past years my licensor had given me a variance anytime I might ask for one. But my last licensor and my current one absolutely will not give them out.
Blackcat31 I WISH my lic. rocked!

I'm sorry she doesn't. I do know you can apply directly to the DHS for a variance if your licensor won't give one. But I am sure that would come with it's own repercussions from your "unrocking licensor" if she thinks you went over her head.
Unregistered 07:01 AM 08-17-2011
I am in MN and our county is currently not giving out variances to anyone. We do not have enough licensors (due to budget issues) to process them, follow up on them, and monitor them so they are not allowing ANYONE to get one period.

In the past they would allow 3 months max on variance and only occassionally.
thecrazyisout 11:30 AM 08-17-2011
Out of curiosity, what county is everyone in? Dakota Here
2ndFamilyDC 11:34 AM 08-17-2011
Hennepin County here.
TBird 11:49 AM 08-17-2011
I'm so clueless...I read through some of these but I still don't know what you need a variance for. What is a variance? I've heard of waivers....like I have one to be able to administer nebulizer meds & the epi pen (without having to take MAT training). Is a variance similar???
DCMom 11:49 AM 08-17-2011
I'm in Ramsey County. As far as variances, the only time I have even asked was for a sibling of a current child.
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
I'm so clueless...I read through some of these but I still don't know what you need a variance for. What is a variance? I've heard of waivers....like I have one to be able to administer nebulizer meds & the epi pen (without having to take MAT training). Is a variance similar???
A variance is special permission to have children outside of your normal age ranges NOT capacity however.

For example, I am licensed to have 4 children under age two years AND 6 children ages 2-5 AND 4 school agers. I applied to have variance last summer so I could take 7 children who were preschool age along with my 4 under age two and have 3 school agers. So total number of kids was still 14 but my oldest preschooler was 5 but missed the school age cut off so my licensor allowed me to have the variance for several reasons. These reasons included the fact that I had 2 adults on site at all times, my 4 children under age two were all 15 months and older (so no infants which = more care) and this little gal would have been school aged had it not been for a few days of the cut off date.

Does that make sense? Variances are confusing but it is basically a permission slip to "play" outside the age limits but not capacity limits. You have to have some sort of plan or circumstances that make allowing the variance necessary. You can't just say I want more toddlers so I want a variance. KWIM?
Tags:minnesota, variance
Reply Up