Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Won't Play
MsKara 06:11 AM 07-29-2010
So I have an almost 3 yr old little boy who won't play. period. If I am engaging him in an art or craft he will sit and do it. He will also copy anything I do (like cleaning, yard work, etc.) , but when it comes to interacting with other children he absolutely will not interact. If I take a break and let the children have free play, he sits at my feet doing nothing and will not play. If I need to go up to get something, I'll come back and he'll be sitting at the door/gate waiting. He follows me everywhere and stays right under my feet the whole time. Though I understand engaging our children is the biggest part of our job, I can't do this 24/7 and enjoy letting them play with one another. It's bugging me, and I know I shouldn't let it, but it really is driving me crazy. What is wrong with him?

A LITTLE MORE INFO:
I tried modeling play and suggesting things for him to do. We have tons of toys all for different ages and interests, so that shouldn't be a problem. I also wanted to ad that this child has been very protected at home, is an only child, rarely cries or shows emotion. Even when he first started here, he just walked in quietly and clung to mom. When mom said goodbye, he didn't show any emotion and just stood there watching all the kids and me. If he does show emotion it is taking/pushing/or hitting due to anger, but this is rare and hardly ever happens. He rarely talks unless all the children leave and it is just one on one with me. He will talk my ear off then, can make all the sounds but has very slurred speach. He's very smart in that he can follow directions and tell me any object I point to. However, it is slurred. If he is one on one with me and laughing and talking he will instantly clam up and act quiet and shy again as soon as mom or dad walks through the door.

Mom said they took him out of the previous preschool due to issues of feeling "lost" and "picked on" by the other kids. They wanted him in a smaller home environment so he would get more individualized attention. He has been with me for 3 months now.
Tags:child won't play, stubborn, won't play
Up