Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Excited About My New Toy Making Projects!!!
snowborden1 03:11 PM 02-25-2011
So from a post a put up the other day wanting to know what toys you all have that do not require batteries has gotten me on a new toy making kick! I just received my silks from Dharma Trading to make playsilks!!! And after researching how to go about dying them with kool-aid I came across a couple other montessori inspired toys I can make as well. The first one is "The Peek a Boo Rainbow Family". Very good for fine motor skills and color recognition! Here is one that is on Etsy.com
http://www.etsy.com/listing/68560581...children%2Ftoy
The second is a Progressive Ring Stacker. It has a round wooden base with a peg sticking out the middle and the rings are wooden. The object is to develop fine motor skills by placing the rings on the peg.

Just had to share my excitement! Thanks for all the inspiration ladies!
kendallina 04:19 PM 02-25-2011
Yay! Good for you! I would love to see pics when you're done!
snowborden1 04:21 PM 02-25-2011
For sure!!! I will post them when they are all done
DaycareMama 04:22 PM 02-25-2011
I was JUST looking at your toys on etsy seriously 2 seconds ago!! That is so awesome and ironic !! Plan on getting them for my DD. Best of luck.
ammama 04:25 PM 02-25-2011
If you want a few other homemade toy ideas...

Tree blocks - I went out for a walk in our local ravine with the kids, and we dragged home branches that we thought would make good blocks (1 branch did, most didn't, I ended up sourcing some branches from my friends apple tree), got DH to chop them into short lengths (2"-6" or so) and the kids and I sanded them. You can polish them easily with beeswax if you want to make them a little easier to clean

I Spy Bags - I made one last week from random little things around my house, and my dck's LOVE it!
Here is a blog link..
http://rosie-baby-crafty.blogspot.co...-spy-bags.html
I meant to print pictures of the stuff I put in mine and laminate them, but I didn't get around to it yet - the kids still love it.

There is a great book that I got from the library showing a whole bunch of toys to make at home called "Creative Play for your Toddler" and also "Creative play for your baby" which had a tonne of ideas too
snowborden1 04:27 PM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I was JUST looking at your toys on etsy seriously 2 seconds ago!! That is so awesome and ironic !! Plan on getting them for my DD. Best of luck.
Thanks! Etsy is so cool!
snowborden1 04:37 PM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by ammama:
If you want a few other homemade toy ideas...

Tree blocks - I went out for a walk in our local ravine with the kids, and we dragged home branches that we thought would make good blocks (1 branch did, most didn't, I ended up sourcing some branches from my friends apple tree), got DH to chop them into short lengths (2"-6" or so) and the kids and I sanded them. You can polish them easily with beeswax if you want to make them a little easier to clean

I Spy Bags - I made one last week from random little things around my house, and my dck's LOVE it!
Here is a blog link..
http://rosie-baby-crafty.blogspot.co...-spy-bags.html
I meant to print pictures of the stuff I put in mine and laminate them, but I didn't get around to it yet - the kids still love it.

There is a great book that I got from the library showing a whole bunch of toys to make at home called "Creative Play for your Toddler" and also "Creative play for your baby" which had a tonne of ideas too
WOW! I love the tree blocks idea!!!! The I Spy Bags are awesome!!! Thanks for all the great ideas!
kendallina 04:39 PM 02-25-2011
Love the tree blocks idea! My Dh could that for me--yay!
snowborden1 08:09 PM 02-28-2011
Here are the little people in their cups and the playsilks! The dck LOVED them!!! They played with these only today!
Attached: IMG_7183.jpg (54.0 KB) IMG_7184.jpg (57.1 KB) IMG_7185.jpg (51.9 KB) 
ammama 08:26 PM 02-28-2011
I love the playsilks, Good Job dying them! I think I want a set of those little hideaway people - they would look so great lined up on the shelf, for the 2 seconds until they got played with
snowborden1 08:39 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by ammama:
I love the playsilks, Good Job dying them! I think I want a set of those little hideaway people - they would look so great lined up on the shelf, for the 2 seconds until they got played with
Thank You
Tags:arts and crafts, toy making
Reply Up