Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>When Do You Cook?
Bella99 11:12 AM 07-13-2012
When do you prepare / cook the meals you're serving for lunch.

Do you cook on the weekends and freeze, do you cook it the night before to only need a re-heat, prepare it the night before? ect ect..
nothingwithoutjoy 11:30 AM 07-13-2012
When I started (with five kids ages 0-3), I wasn't sure how I'd ever manage it. I prepared everything ahead on weekends, or in the morning, so all I'd have to do was heat and serve. As the kids got older and I got more adept at cooking for a crowd, I moved more and more toward cooking while the kids are here. (Often with their help.) I've just adjusted my schedule so we spend the whole morning outside, so I'm back to doing more food prep on weekends. But one thing I've learned is to prepare parts (a big batch of roasted veggies, for example), and then use them for quick cooking throughout the week (into quesadillas on Monday, on top of rice on Tuesday, etc.)
mema 11:44 AM 07-13-2012
Depends what we are having. They like breakfast Fridays, so I usually cook that right before eating. If I feel energetic on the weekends and have the extra time, I cook up whatever I have for meals around the house and freeze. I utilize my crock pot a lot. If I plan on cooking it that day, I make sure it is nothing that takes a lot of time from me. If it needs an hour in the oven fine, just so I am not the one doing something with it for an hour.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 07-13-2012
Right before we eat. I cook everything same day as needed.
Kiki 12:03 PM 07-13-2012
I cook before we eat, if our snacks are things made from scratch like breads/muffins/granola, the kids help me prepare it, and we toss it in the oven during nap time so it's ready when they get up.
Reply Up