Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Charge?
WImom 07:08 PM 06-27-2011
Do you charge more if a parent needs to come before or pick up after their scheduled time even if your already open with other kids?

Trying to figure out if It's the norm or not to do this?
Sunshine44 07:18 PM 06-27-2011
Most people do. I don't because it doesn't usually happen.
sharlan 07:42 PM 06-27-2011
I charge a flat fee for the week, regardless of the time they pick up.
Lianne 07:58 PM 06-27-2011
I don't usually as long as the parents ask me and don't expect me to automatically say yes. My general rule of thumb is that I try to be flexible as long as there's give and take on both sides and I'm not feeling taken advantage of. If I start to feel that way then I say no to the request. It's not worth a few extra dollars at that point.
CheekyChick 08:11 PM 06-27-2011
I charge a flat rate no matter if they are with me 7 or 10 hours per day. It would hardly be fair to charge someone who went from 7 to 8 hours per day, MORE than my children who are with me 10 hours per day. I hope that made sense.
rbmom 09:02 PM 06-27-2011
I do not charge more unless its over their contracted 10 hours a day rate.
Pammie 03:30 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
Do you charge more if a parent needs to come before or pick up after their scheduled time even if your already open with other kids?

Trying to figure out if It's the norm or not to do this?
I don't charge extra.
I extend that flexibility as a courtesy to my clients whenever I can. And fortunately, I have great dcps that don't try and take advantage
WImom 04:01 AM 06-28-2011
I only have one family that asks me and it's usually once a month, sometimes more.

I do charge and the last two times they didn't pay me. It got me thinking if I should charge or not. Until this family I never had anyone ask except maybe once a year. It's in my contract that I do charge and I just sent them a letter regarding it since they just asked me again for Friday (2nd time this month). I mainly charge it so it doesn't become a habit.
So far on here it doesn't seem the norm.
Cat Herder 05:57 AM 06-28-2011
I like simple.

Dealing with parents on a "Scheduled Hours" plan add too much record keeping and enforcement for my taste. I have one rate and am open 10 hours a day.

If someone asks for an early drop off it must be for something really important after they have exhausted all other options from their side. I don't charge when I say YES, I just do not say Yes often.

I don't do that to be ugly, mornings are for breakfast and a visit with my teens before they are off for the day with their friends or school. I only have 4 more years with them before they are all off to college and adult life. All my DCM's understand and empathize with that.

The downfall of doing it my way is that every one of your DCK's will be there from open to close, everyday. They are in the drive when I open and all leave within 5-10 minutes of closing.

I like it because I like the routine of it. I never have that one anxious kid, that thinks he was forgotten, to entertain and keep calm for hours after everyone else leaves.

I know exactly what time to come in from the playground and get cleaned up for going home. At 5:30pm we all pick up toys, move to mats and I mop. At 6pm the kids are gone and the room is clean. I lock up and don't go back in there until the next day. Simple, consistent and routine works for me.
WImom 11:10 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I like simple.

Dealing with parents on a "Scheduled Hours" plan add too much record keeping and enforcement for my taste. I have one rate and am open 10 hours a day.

If someone asks for an early drop off it must be for something really important after they have exhausted all other options from their side. I don't charge when I say YES, I just do not say Yes often.

I don't do that to be ugly, mornings are for breakfast and a visit with my teens before they are off for the day with their friends or school. I only have 4 more years with them before they are all off to college and adult life. All my DCM's understand and empathize with that.

The downfall of doing it my way is that every one of your DCK's will be there from open to close, everyday. They are in the drive when I open and all leave within 5-10 minutes of closing.

I like it because I like the routine of it. I never have that one anxious kid, that thinks he was forgotten, to entertain and keep calm for hours after everyone else leaves.

I know exactly what time to come in from the playground and get cleaned up for going home. At 5:30pm we all pick up toys, move to mats and I mop. At 6pm the kids are gone and the room is clean. I lock up and don't go back in there until the next day. Simple, consistent and routine works for me.
I would LOVE to do it this way but I have kids that come all morning 7:30-9:45. I don't think they would bring them earlier either. If I ever had a group that all came and left around the same time that would be awesome though.
DEBBIES DAYCARE 12:10 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I would LOVE to do it this way but I have kids that come all morning 7:30-9:45. I don't think they would bring them earlier either. If I ever had a group that all came and left around the same time that would be awesome though.
I am open from 7-5:30. If you contract full time, its all day from open to close, m-f with a flat weekly rate. Part time is open to close, with a mimimal of 3 days contract, for a set daily rate. The only other option I offer is a drop in, based on availability for an hourly rate payable that day.
I have a drop off at 9:30 am.The parents pay the daily rate without a complaint. For awhile mom was dropping of at 7 to go to the gym...but that was short lived. lol.
I also have a pick up at 3:30-3:45. Once in while, she runs an errand, doc appt or has coffee with a friend.
I think it takes some pressure off everyone, to be able to run an errand and not be late and for me not to have to feel uncomfortable enforcing late fees or that feel of being disrespected when they are late. It also keeps things simple without me having to get out a calculator to see how much the bill is for additional time. I do however charge per minute after 5:30. I have never had to do this tho. I have a parent who gets out of work at 5 so I give her until 5:45 before shes considered late.
I actually use this flexability as a sales pitch at interviews and most parents love it. When I worked in an office I used to see parents running out the door so stressed they were going to be late and have to pay the daycare extra. I tell my parents to relax..BS in the parking lot for a minute, go grocery shopping, go home, shower and change in peace, then come and get their child.
Happy parents make happy daycare providers!!!!
Tags:fees, late fees
Reply Up