Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CIO For Babies...
KBCsMommy 09:53 AM 09-13-2011
Is 6 months to young to CIO?
I have 3 infants who all take naps at the same time ( 10 m, 6 m, and 4 m)
Except for the 6 mth old. I have to rock dcb or hold him until he falls asleep.
Yesterday I started putting him in dark room, by himself, with news radio on for white noise, he did ok. He would cry for about 15 min and go to sleep but it was on and off for his morning and afternoon naps.
Today different story hes been screaming for an hour. Now I dont feel good at all about this decision. But I feel like babies getting themselves to sleep is important for napping and for bedtime.
Is dcb to young for this? My 10 month old dcg had no problem with this and after a few naps fell right out after crying for only 2 or 3 minutes.
Cat Herder 10:13 AM 09-13-2011
The Ferber Method is recommended for infants beginning at 4-6 months.
gelbesonn 10:52 AM 09-14-2011
Hi have a 6 month old that i have trouble getting to sleep too. The first 2 weeks he was here, I spent 40+ min trying to get him to sleep only to have him wake up when I put him in the packnplay. He is here 3 afternoons a week (mwTh). I started CIO monday. He cried for over 45 mins. I picked him up and patted him- he fell right asleep.
Today he cried for 30 min and went to sleep on his own. I am hoping it will just get better and better. I've decided to put him in the basement (finished) so he doesn't disrupt the other kids while he is screaming. CIO is hard to do at first (i sort of feel cold-hearted about it), but it's important for him AND me, that he gets a good sleep. And with other kids to take care of, I can't be spending more than 5-10 mins trying to get him to sleep.

So to answer your question- no I don't think it's too early. I would say to just make sure he is truely tired and not crying bc he is gassy or some other reason. After I rule out the basics (hunger, gas, etc), then I will let him cry and not feel too bad about it.
cheerfuldom 03:56 PM 09-14-2011
I don't think its too early. it is very hard though. there is only so much you can do in a daycare setting with that many young ones. you have to make the choice for the group and not just for him....sounds like they all are ready and needing naps so unfortunately, if he cries a bit to get there than that is what it has to be for the other kids sakes, your sanity as well as his future at your daycare. Struggling with nap time long term is going to wear you all out fast. why not give it at least a week of consistent routine and re-evaluate then. more than likely, you will already see improvement.
jojosmommy 06:12 PM 09-14-2011
I have done it succesfully at this age in the past but have struggled with others as well. I have found the hardest ones to be the ones where mom/dad lets them sleep in swing/carseat which is obviously not ok for daycare. I have realized that is rather foreign to go from sleeping reclined in a snuggled position to laying flat on your back with no wrap/snuggles around. Those are the ones I have the toughest time with.

I suggest trying it for a bit and seeing if this child responds to it. If not try again in a few weeks.
Tags:cio, colic, crying - ferber method
Reply Up