Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weather Emergencies With The Llittle Ones
SilverSabre25 01:09 PM 09-16-2010
Tornado sirens going off right now...the storm that's dangerous is all the way on the opposite end of our very large county so we're safe where we are, but we did move downstairs near our tornado shelter (just in case...).

So, I'm wondering, how exactly do you handle weather emergencies like this? I have 4 right now (3, one just got picked up), almost 3 (mine), 2.5, and 19 months. The older two are worried and very concerned. I don't want to scare them when they ask what's going on, but I don't know what to tell them to convey why we're downstairs, why we can't go upstairs, why the TV is on (to the best local weather reporting station). So far I've told them that the siren means that dangerous weather could happen and we're downstairs so that we're safe in case it does.

Also, our actual "shelter" area is a pretty short, narrow hallway--it's not at all ideal, especially for the half hour that this warning is supposed to last. Since it's not actually coming at us and is nowhere near us (it's not even raining, not even thundering where we are) I figure it's okay to be in the downstairs play area and let them play.

What supplies do you grab when there's a weather emergency? Diapers, wipes, what else? Tornados, while common enough that the sirens are tested weekly, aren't actually *that* common around here and this is the first time that this has come up while I've been doing daycare!
missnikki 01:59 PM 09-16-2010
Well, i don't work in an area that has shelters for anything, but I would imagine an 'emergency kit" should be accessable in that space. I suppose some things to include would be:
-Flashlight/batteries
-canned food & water
-first aid kit
-radio & batteries
-diapers/ wipes (you already mentioned)
-blanket(s)
-coloring books & crayons for the kids
-copy of your childrens' emergency health/contact info
-medications if applicable to any kids or yourself

these are some of the things I keep in an earthquake kit which is a backpack under my parent table, I would grab it in case of any emergency, weather or non weather related. Obviously there are things to add as you see fit.

This might be a good time to consider having an emergency escape plan, like what to do in case of fire or other disaster and post for parents so they would know you are on top of it. (A good selling point to a parent!)
Michael 02:43 PM 09-16-2010
If you live in a tornado or storm zone, I would make preparation a part of their learning experience. That way when a storm or tornado presents itself your children know what to expect. I think that would take some of the scare out of it. Maybe even making them aware of your shelter will give them an idea of what to expect and they will know that you have everything in control.
Lilbutterflie 04:09 PM 09-16-2010
Maybe start doing fire drills & tornado drills with the kids; sort of what Michael was suggesting, which would prepare them for the event if it should happen. It would make them feel much more at ease if the time came for them to do it in an actual emergency.
Tags:emergencies, shelter, storm, weather
Reply Up