Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do With This Space? Pics Included
SunflowerMama 06:42 PM 08-05-2013
I come here at least every year when I get the itch to move things around. It's just about that time.

Here's my space and I just need some new eyes to give me some inspiration.

I'm thinking about turning the closet/storage area into a "cafe" with the play kitchen and maybe a small Ikea table and 2 chairs and some funky cafe signs on the wall.

I just don't know how to move around the main room. I want a cool reading nook and maybe an area for blocks but I'm planning on pulling down the hanging red storage bins and there were shutter bookshelves above the white storage shelf. The kids just end up pulling them down most of the time anyway.

I could also turn the white ikea shelve (I also have a 2nd) vertically and attach to the wall to open up some more floor space but just can't seem to get the creative juices flowing. Any suggestions??

PS Just fyi the room is a mess.

nanglgrl 07:10 PM 08-05-2013
I think it's awesome already! I live the tire swing art on the wall!
Familycare71 09:32 PM 08-05-2013
I am in the same boat!!! Just staring at my room wondering what to do with it!! So I'm no help at all. But ... Your not alone!!!
countrymom 04:29 AM 08-06-2013
how about making it the closet the house center. You can add the dress up clothes and baby stuff in there. Or you can make it the big kid area where the special toys are like polly pocket, but a gate up (one that has a door) add some bean bag chairs and a small book case for those special books.
SunflowerMama 04:58 AM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
how about making it the closet the house center. You can add the dress up clothes and baby stuff in there. Or you can make it the big kid area where the special toys are like polly pocket, but a gate up (one that has a door) add some bean bag chairs and a small book case for those special books.
That's a great idea about the big kid area! I have some 6 year old girls right now but they will only be with me until the end of the summer. In a few weeks though my oldest will be 4 and my youngest 2 so maybe making that the house center would be better. I just need something a bit larger to place in front of the yellow hanging curtain to help curb the curiosity of what's behind the yellow curtain so that's why I was thinking the kitchen set. But maybe throwing the mirror in there would make it look a bit larger and then we could add the dress up clothes and babies.

I'm also debating about taking the doors off the closet, or at least one, to open it up more.
Heidi 06:02 AM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
That's a great idea about the big kid area! I have some 6 year old girls right now but they will only be with me until the end of the summer. In a few weeks though my oldest will be 4 and my youngest 2 so maybe making that the house center would be better. I just need something a bit larger to place in front of the yellow hanging curtain to help curb the curiosity of what's behind the yellow curtain so that's why I was thinking the kitchen set. But maybe throwing the mirror in there would make it look a bit larger and then we could add the dress up clothes and babies.

I'm also debating about taking the doors off the closet, or at least one, to open it up more.
ok, so what IS behind the yellow curtain?
countrymom 06:35 AM 08-06-2013
take the doors off the closet and maybe get florecent lighting put in that way it would give you more light too. You can put in the ikea shelf and put some of the special stuff in there. Or you can also make it into an art room. Where you can put a desk, and art supplys and a chalk board. I have kids who love to stuff things in envelopes.
CedarCreek 06:52 AM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My first thought was, "the wizard"

I'm curious now, too.
SunflowerMama 07:01 AM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Lol! It's just an under stair crawl space with some wiring. It starts about 2 feet high and goes back about 4 feet. I can fit a few bins of toys under there that I use for my rotation.

Here you go.

Familycare71 11:03 AM 08-06-2013
Lol! It's just an under stair crawl space with some wiring. It starts about 2 feet high and goes back about 4 feet. I can fit a few bins of toys under there that I use for my rotation.

Here you go.

NOT as exciting as what I pictured!!
Make sure to keep me posted on what your doing. I need inspiration!
2grls4us 12:36 PM 08-06-2013
I have seen where people add doors to this under the stairs space. Even just some light wood and hinges? Depending on the size maybe a large chalkboard/white board? Just a thought?
I like your cafe idea.
spud912 02:21 PM 08-06-2013
I come here at least every year when I get the itch to move things around. It's just about that time.

Here's my space and I just need some new eyes to give me some inspiration.

I'm thinking about turning the closet/storage area into a "cafe" with the play kitchen and maybe a small Ikea table and 2 chairs and some funky cafe signs on the wall.

I just don't know how to move around the main room. I want a cool reading nook and maybe an area for blocks but I'm planning on pulling down the hanging red storage bins and there were shutter bookshelves above the white storage shelf. The kids just end up pulling them down most of the time anyway.

I could also turn the white ikea shelve (I also have a 2nd) vertically and attach to the wall to open up some more floor space but just can't seem to get the creative juices flowing. Any suggestions??

PS Just fyi the room is a mess.

Ok, just for clarification, are the first 2 photos in the same room? If so, is there any kind of separation between the soft sitting area by the tree swing and the kitchen area?

If this is the same room, I would put both of the low Ikea cabinets side to side as a mid-room separation. In them, I would put your building materials and the play house on top. (if there is enough room).

Then where the Ikea cabinet was before (next to the tree swing), I would add shelving to store books and make the padded seating area a reading corner.

In the closet, I would add a door instead of the sheet, but put it back as far as possible. I would paint it with chalkboard paint and add a small lipped ledge to store the chalk along the wall next to the door. In the closet corner, I would put a small table with two chairs. If you are handy with fabric, I would sew a little "awning" to go over the table. Then I would store the play kitchen alongside one of the walls in the closet (preferably close to the chalk board if there was enough room.
Tags:layout, remodel
Reply Up