Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Part-Time Hours?
Country Kids 08:15 AM 08-24-2012
Revamping everything and trying to figure out what part-time hours should be.

Most childcares seem to have it at 30 hours or less. I was thinking more like 25 hours or less but not sure it 25 is to low of a number.

I'm thinking that is 5 hours a day which is still a good chunk of the day! If I do 30 hours that is 6 hours a day is seems to be alot for part-time. Thats only 4 hours less then I'm open. Also with the 5 hours a day, I could (if the starts align) have another child take the other 5 hours. With someone coming 6, it would be very hard to find someone for that 4 hours I think.

Any ideas?
itlw8 08:19 AM 08-24-2012
3 set days. If they want part of a day it is hourly and that is MUCH higher

4 days of p/t rate equals the f/t rate so most take f/t and then if they tell me they can come on the 5th day.

If they use any part of a day or rotate their schedule then I can not use it for another child and I am out money
Country Kids 08:25 AM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
3 set days. If they want part of a day it is hourly and that is MUCH higher

4 days of p/t rate equals the f/t rate so most take f/t and then if they tell me they can come on the 5th day.

If they use any part of a day or rotate their schedule then I can not use it for another child and I am out money
What do you do if a parent needs 3 days a week but occansionally a 4th. Our teachers here work 4 day weeks. I have one parent who needs me three (grandma watches the other day) but occasionally the teachers have to go in on their usual day off. Parent likes child to come here. So how would you charge for that extra "full-time" day when they are usually part-time.
nanglgrl 09:02 AM 08-24-2012
My part time is anything under 20 hours or 2 days. I do it that way because if I give them 25 hours it usually means I have them from 7:30-12:30 and it's near impossible to get a client from 12:30-5:30. They are also leaving at the easiest part of the day (nap). If they want 3 days at 7 hours a day it's near impossible to find someone that wants the other 2 days. KWIM? I'm a level b provider and in my state Im allowed 6 full time and 2 part time alone (plus 4 school age if I have my assistant). The part time children (per state rules) can not use more than 180 hours combined in a month (we have to document it). That's 90 hours a month each and since most months are not exactly four weeks it works out to about 20 hours. If I don't have any part time slots the parent either has to take a full time slot or understand that if a full time client wants to start their part time child will be dropped.
wahmof3 09:07 AM 08-24-2012
My part time is also 20 hours or less per week and only 2 days (the same 2 days per week too). I feel that anything 3 days & over is full time.

I would much rather have the full time kids. Also state reimbursement for part time is 7-24.9 hours week.
Country Kids 09:22 AM 08-24-2012
Our state goes this way:

1-62 hours=hourly

63-135=Part-time (Seems awfully high)

136-215=Full-time
wahmof3 09:50 AM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Our state goes this way:

1-62 hours=hourly

136-215=Full-time
WOW!!! Interesting.

My state=

1-6.9= hourly

7-24.9= part time

25-60= full time

and then hourly for the hours over 60 hours.
Crazy8 09:56 AM 08-24-2012
Our state goes this way:

1-62 hours=hourly

136-215=Full-time
That has to be per MONTH, correct???

I don't do anything hourly - I have rates for 2, 3, 4 or 5 days per week. The daily rate is higher for less days but I didn't want to say 4 days = full time because then they'd come all 5 days. I rather make a few dollars less and have the lighter day - not to mention I can sometimes fill those days with other part timers where I actually end up making more money. For instance - a 2 day a weeker and a 3 day a weeker together pay me more than one 5 day child in the same spot.
Loveyoustinkyface 10:10 AM 08-24-2012
Part-time is about 6 hours per day @ $33 AND must be picked up 1:45pm (when I leave to get my kiddos from school)
Full-time is 9.5 hours per day @ $45.
MyAngels 10:52 AM 08-24-2012
I do anything up to 25 hours is part-time. My part-time rate is only 20% less than my full-time rate, so I don't lose too much if I can't fill the other 25 hours.
Heidi 11:06 AM 08-24-2012
I do it this way:

Infant are $4.00 per hour, $28 per day, or $130 full time
Over 2 are $3.50 per hour, $23 per day, or $110 full time

Generally, part time only pays for the time they are here, and fulltime pays for the "slot", including holidays.
Willow 11:34 AM 08-24-2012
I charge hourly and currently only take full time kids so that eliminates the issue for me.

I didn't like the upheaval it was causing and my families never knowing what kids were going to be here when, if any others would be at all! So I eliminated all PT spots.

I didn't like having to keep track of 20 different kids' schedules. All of my parents work full time M-F so I pretty much across the board have the exact same kids the exact same hours M-F. I love love love it. The group is so much calmer since I made the change to eliminate part timers completely.
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 08-24-2012
Part time for me is 3 or less days a week.

I will do half days (if I have space available) but not on a regular basis.

Half days can NOT include lunch or nap. They are offered in two blocks of time. Morning (7:30-11:00) or Afternoon (2:00-5:00)

If I have a family that is part time, 3 days a week, I will add another day (if space is available) and just tack on an extra day's fees.

If a family needs only 3 days per week of care and the days vary, they pay slightly less than full time 5 day a week rates due to having access to the entire week but only using 3 of the days.
itlw8 12:28 PM 08-24-2012
What do you do if a parent needs 3 days a week but occansionally a 4th. Our teachers here work 4 day weeks. I have one parent who needs me three (grandma watches the other day) but occasionally the teachers have to go in on their usual day off. Parent likes child to come here. So how would you charge for that extra "full-time" day when they are usually part-time.
If I have room they may come it is charged at the higher p/t rate. if I charge 75 for 3 days they pay 25 for that 4th day and 25 for the 5th

They do not get the f/t rate if they come all 5 days one week they pay the p/t rate for every day 3 set days pay here or not plus any extra
Reply Up