Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Advice
Unregistered 04:37 AM 01-06-2012
Hi there I'm remaining unregistered just in case my daycare uses this site.

So the issues started when the daycare found out that I was on vacation for a week, but was still dropping off my child. He was the only child at daycare other than her kids. I was taking this time to get some stuff done around the house, like fix on of the family cars, getting some deep cleaning done. Well the Daycare found out that I was home and I recieved 2 messages 2 days in a row that my child was running a fever and being upset. I picked up my child as soon as I could, and he showed no sign of being sick. Not only that but was actually happy and playful. I should mention that this happened the last week of the year.

Then yesterday was told that she wants me to feed breakfast before dropping off at daycare, because she now feeds her own children earlier so she can drop her son off at the bus stop. Now I hand my kid off at the bus stop to her because she will not take a child earlier then 7:15. The contract states breakfast goes approx 7:30-8:30, so I drop my child off with in the time the breakfast is in the contract that I signed.

Should I confront her on these issues, or should I just start searching for a new daycare?
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 01-06-2012
BOTH. You should probably start searching for new daycare so that you can find somewhere your needs are better met, but I would also be honest with the provider so she is aware of why you are unhappy with her services.

As far as bringing your child when you are on vacation, I personally do not have any issue with what parents do if I am being paid to watch their child. If your provider wasn't ok with that then she should not have accepted your schedule (or the payment for that time) in the first place.

Finding child care that shares similar parenting philosophies is work on both the parents and providers part. If I were you, I would find one that serves breakfast as well as provides care for times you pay her to do so (despite if you are working, shopping or fixing your car).

Neither of this providers choices (no breakfast/no care while you aren't working) are wrong ONLY that she wasn't upfront with you about the services she is no longer offering. She shouldn't represent herself as serving breakfast if she doesn't and she should have told you upfront that she only provides care IF you are working. Pretending (if she did actually lie) about your child having a fever is not very professional and not good business practice at all.
Cat Herder 09:29 AM 01-06-2012
Your Provider is required to follow her own contract if she expects you to. Currently, IMHO, your contract is invalid.

I'd recommend telling her that you will need a new written contract that spells all the new changes out CLEARLY. Once you get that you should take a few days to decide if you will agree to the new terms or not. If not there should be a clean break.

Most likely she will try to say that even though she broke parts of the contract the others are still in force (paid termination notice, vacation pay. etc.). I think that is unprofessional, "having your cake and eating it, too" but many disagree with me.

Fair and Reasonable should work BOTH ways.

Now, if her contract has anything similar to the words "I provide services while parents are WORKING" or "Knowingly bringing sick children to daycare can be subject to immediate termination*" and you signed it..... you may want to just take the hit and work out a new agreement amicably if she is awesome in every other way. (* having a child sent home sick two days in a row will not go in your favor in small claims court. )

If you choose to stay PLEASE get a new contract worked out....
JennyBear 11:04 AM 01-09-2012
If your provider is getting paid regardless, I don't see why it would be a problem if you bring your child or not. What you choose to do with your time off is your business.

I have had to send home children before d/t vomiting or having diarrhea on several occasions and the child hasn't done it again since they have left. As a provider looking after several children I have to look out for the best interest in all of the children and if one is showing signs of being ill (unusual) then I have to error on the side of caution and send them home. I had one dcg that came with a bit of loose stools. When I called mom and dad they assured me it was b/c child was teething (even though this hasn't happened before) so I put up with it. The next day child had same bm's so I put my foot down and sent her home. Turns out she had a virus that made ALL of us VERY sick! including the other children's families (2 of the other family members were actually hospitalized they were so sick). So although it often seems like it might not be a big deal, you just never know. I don't know whether your provider sent your child home legitimately or not but perhaps your son did have a fever and was acting cranky, then she gave him some Advil/Tylenol and he ended up not being so bad? Who knows.

I would set some time aside to speak with her. She should know how you feel and I'm sure you can either agree on a new contract or agree to disagree and go your separate ways.

Good Luck!
sharlan 11:31 AM 01-09-2012
Have you been happy with the level of care your child receives? If yes, you need to have an honest conversation with your provider. If you've been unhappy, it may be time to move on.

I am guessing that she was ticked off. Her kids were out of school and she was stuck at home taking care of YOUR kid while YOU were home on vacation. I bet sending your child home with an nonexistant fever was her passive/agressive way of letting you know.

You should have told her up front that you were going to take the week off, but still bring your child. I'm sure she feels lied to and deceived.

BUT..........since she was paid for that week, she shouldn't have had any complaints about doing her job.

Some providers believe that they should only watch your child for the time you are actually at WORK and a limited time for travel. They feel that they are entitled to paid time off when you are at home.

Personally, I don't care where you are as long as I am getting paid.

As for breakfast, does she have other children that she feeds prior to taking her kids to school? She needs to either rewrite her contract or enforce it the way it is, feeding breakfast.
REWALKER04 07:17 PM 02-01-2012
I actually think its funny that providers think its bad if a parent takes the day off or isnt working that they have to watch there kids. Its like why does it matter they are paying you to watch there kids wether they are there or not. I know when my kids used to go to a center I would sometimes take them there even if I wasnt working so I could paint a room or get other things done. As long as they are getting paid it shouldnt matter. Now is it nice when a parent keeps there kids and we get paid for it, yes. But it shouldnt be expected in my thinking anyway.
{ps, I dont mean any disrespect to those of you who think differently!
SilverSabre25 09:18 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by REWALKER04:
I actually think its funny that providers think its bad if a parent takes the day off or isnt working that they have to watch there kids. Its like why does it matter they are paying you to watch there kids wether they are there or not. I know when my kids used to go to a center I would sometimes take them there even if I wasnt working so I could paint a room or get other things done. As long as they are getting paid it shouldnt matter. Now is it nice when a parent keeps there kids and we get paid for it, yes. But it shouldnt be expected in my thinking anyway.
{ps, I dont mean any disrespect to those of you who think differently!
Some of us, it doesn't matter.

But, pretty much all of us feel bad when the parent is off for an entire WEEK, doing nothing but loafing around home or going to the mall, and they don't even pick the kid up early...not even once. When the parent NEVER keeps the child home with them for some special time. When the child is shipped off to gramma's or auntie's every chance they get. When the child is in our care from open to close every day of the year unless they are sick...and sometimes even then, too.

Everyone can use one day here and there without their kids, so they can get stuff done. It's the habitualness that gets us. It's the other things that get us. It's...well, it's the rest of the "parent package".
Meyou 01:19 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Some of us, it doesn't matter.

But, pretty much all of us feel bad when the parent is off for an entire WEEK, doing nothing but loafing around home or going to the mall, and they don't even pick the kid up early...not even once. When the parent NEVER keeps the child home with them for some special time. When the child is shipped off to gramma's or auntie's every chance they get. When the child is in our care from open to close every day of the year unless they are sick...and sometimes even then, too.

Everyone can use one day here and there without their kids, so they can get stuff done. It's the habitualness that gets us. It's the other things that get us. It's...well, it's the rest of the "parent package".
To expand on Silver's point (because I love to quote her ) it's also about being truthful. If you need a day at home to decompress, then say so! I don't care where my parents are after they drop off but if something isn't normal about their day I believe I should know in case something happens. So my parents tell me...home, work, appointments, eating bon bons, daydreaming about George Clooney....it's all good. Just don't lie to me. I look after your most precious possession and I need to know where you are.
seebachers 03:48 AM 02-02-2012
I really don't care where the parents are at - as long as they tell me. I despise calling parent's work for something, leaving a message to please call me when they are able and then getting a call back 2 hours later saying "Oh, I just got your message. I am working from home today." Not a problem unless your kid has a fever and needed to be picked up 2 hours ago. Just let me know so that I am not trying every number on the sheet to have someone come and get your kid.

it's called communication......works wonders at alleviating confusion. (but I'm not bitter )
Countrygal 06:31 AM 02-02-2012
I certainly agree about being notified where to contact you - if you're at home, I need to know that.

The ONLY reason I would see that a provider would be upset if you were not working and still dropping off the child is if you are on child subsidy. Child subsidy only pays for hours you are working plus travel time - not even time to stop at Wally World after.

If you were on child subsidy and didn't notify her that you were not working, that would be a concern.

Other than that, I don't care what my parents do as long as they pay me on time!
KDC 07:56 AM 02-02-2012
I have a lot of teachers for DCP's... so they have time off for which I am contracted to still be paid. I have NO problems with this, as they pay me regardless. I think it's great they can get their Dr. appointments taken care of, Christmas shopping. I wish I had that time, but I'm really happy I can help the families out, they shouldn't feel guilty.

My issues come from when they live directly across the street from me, I can see them having a beer and conversing with neighbors (kids can also see them, and it greatly disrupts the schedule/activities) and it's past the contractual pick up time. Or, when I'm watching their infant with colic where I've already communicated prompt pick-up was necessary... to see the father mowing the lawn while I have my own newborn, their screaming colicky newborn and 3 other children

I just spoke up, and it did help. Communication is the key to any good relationship. I'm awful at confrontations but feel sometimes it's necessary. If you came here to look for advice, I think you should let her know how you feel. I wouldn't do this to any of my families...so maybe it's time to start looking for new care.
saved4always 12:25 PM 02-02-2012
I only watch teacher's kids because I want to be available to my own children when they get out of school and are on school vacations, holidays, etc. My parents all know this and respect this so their hours are contracted to be work and travel hours and I do not watch children when there are days off and holidays where there is no school. I also do not get paid for those, per the contract. Everyone understands this and it works for us all.
Tags:contract - clear, contract - revisions, contracts, dope and drop, dope; drop, provider responsibility
Reply Up