Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Possible Dope And Drop? Everyone Is Sick. :(
daycarediva 04:03 AM 03-12-2014
Had a kiddo come in Friday. Slightly runny nose, mild cough. After nap, 101, cough wakes him up, he coughs so hard he throws up. Sent him home.

Comes in Monday. By noonish, it's OBVIOUS he is still sick, and at this point, I ask him if he had medicine this morning and he said yes, his pink medicine. He takes a prescribed med daily for something unrelated, so I can't PROVE it. Send home Monday for 99.9 fever, not participating and bad cough. Dcd NOT happy.

Monday PM, also send home a dcg, same symptoms.

Tuesday-Dcb is back, cough is NOT better, still 99-100. Kid says no medicine. Send home, AGAIN. Tell them he needs a dr note before returning as the kids are dropping like flies. Same day dcg I sent home Monday is out sick, drs put her on antibiotics. Send TWO more kids home with the same symptoms.

Today-they are bringing dcb back with what the dr says is a 'non contagious virus' BUT the REST OF MY KIDS ARE ON ANTIBIOTICS! Turned away a kid at the door this morning for it, told Mom what was going on, and she is making an appt when the pediatrician opens.

I am SOOO TICKED RIGHT NOW. They are scheduled to drop off any minute, and they are going to be met with one annoyed provider.
Meyou 04:24 AM 03-12-2014
Did they get a doctor's note saying it's a non contagious virus?
coolconfidentme 04:32 AM 03-12-2014
I have a dry erase board right by the door. A week ago I had a notice on it with partially cap locks, Do NOT bring your child sick to daycare NOBODY WANTS COOTIES! All but one DCPs took it to heart. DCB threw up 1/2 after getting here. I had cooties all weekend, UGH!
BumbleBee 05:21 AM 03-12-2014
It's said & done now, but I'm curious as to why you accepted him into care on Tuesday when he was sent home on Monday.

I get that you're annoyed/unhappy about the possible dope & drop. I'd be annoyed too.

Best of luck to you.
Cradle2crayons 05:33 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Had a kiddo come in Friday. Slightly runny nose, mild cough. After nap, 101, cough wakes him up, he coughs so hard he throws up. Sent him home.

Comes in Monday. By noonish, it's OBVIOUS he is still sick, and at this point, I ask him if he had medicine this morning and he said yes, his pink medicine. He takes a prescribed med daily for something unrelated, so I can't PROVE it. Send home Monday for 99.9 fever, not participating and bad cough. Dcd NOT happy.

Monday PM, also send home a dcg, same symptoms.

Tuesday-Dcb is back, cough is NOT better, still 99-100. Kid says no medicine. Send home, AGAIN. Tell them he needs a dr note before returning as the kids are dropping like flies. Same day dcg I sent home Monday is out sick, drs put her on antibiotics. Send TWO more kids home with the same symptoms.

Today-they are bringing dcb back with what the dr says is a 'non contagious virus' BUT the REST OF MY KIDS ARE ON ANTIBIOTICS! Turned away a kid at the door this morning for it, told Mom what was going on, and she is making an appt when the pediatrician opens.

I am SOOO TICKED RIGHT NOW. They are scheduled to drop off any minute, and they are going to be met with one annoyed provider.
Wait a minute... Do you have a dope and drop policy?? If so, the first step I would have made on last FRIDAY, would have been a call to dcm with "I need to know if you gave dcb ANY medicine before drop off because at the time medication WOULD have worn off, dcb became I'll here" and again on Monday "dcb says you gave him some pink medicine this morning"

And also on Tuesday, if yu sent him home Monday, then 24 hours wouldn't have been return on Tuesday morning right??

And regardless of what the dr says about non contagious and virus, did the kiddo still meet exclusion criteria?? If so, he should still be excluded.

Here, if I send a child home on Monday at noon even if I only had an exclusion of 24 hours symptom free, Tuesday wouldn't be 24 hours regardless.

I do realize by Tuesday everyone had already been exposed. I get it.

But I sincerely would have confronted mom on Friday about dope and drop and had a SERIOUS conversation about what happens when I catch them doing a dope and drop.
taylorw1210 06:10 AM 03-12-2014
I feel for you. I didn't have a dope and drop on Friday, but a dcb attended that literally took out my entire daycare with a stomach bug. He came Friday, vomited while in my care, he and his brother went home, and by Saturday evening/Sunday morning every daycare kid, most of their parents, my own kids, and myself were dropping like flies. It lasted until Monday morning/afternoon and I ended up closing Monday and Tuesday as a result.
daycarediva 06:58 AM 03-12-2014
I am an idiot. No other reason.

He is back. Still coughing. Pediatrician note (on my form) states 'non contagious' 'viral upper respiratory infection' 'may return to daycare with no restrictions'

BUT it also states dcb is on steroids and parents were advised to give mucinex. I just told Mom I disagree and would get a second opinion, I did tell her of my suspicions of medication use, and she of course blamed dcd blah blah, and I told her if it happens again, I will let them go.
Cradle2crayons 07:54 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am an idiot. No other reason.

He is back. Still coughing. Pediatrician note (on my form) states 'non contagious' 'viral upper respiratory infection' 'may return to daycare with no restrictions'

BUT it also states dcb is on steroids and parents were advised to give mucinex. I just told Mom I disagree and would get a second opinion, I did tell her of my suspicions of medication use, and she of course blamed dcd blah blah, and I told her if it happens again, I will let them go.
I allow kids to come with a cough unless they are coughing uncontrollably or have other symptoms that would exclude. Is mom giving cough medications??

On my dr forms, the dr has to fill in ALL MEDICATIONS given or recommended whether OTC or prescription... I also require parents to bring me the pharmacy receipt to show me the meds they filled also.

Chances are if the child was placed on steroids they were also placed on antibiotics.

In this case, I would DEFINATELY explain to mom if I ever find out after the fact of medication usage it's grounds for immediate termination.
spud912 08:14 AM 03-12-2014
Trust me.....I understand . Ugh....live and learn....I would have had dcb stay home for 24 hours after sending home on Monday. I also would have told dcm that I exclude for symptoms and until they are gone dcb cannot return to child care.
TwinKristi 08:44 AM 03-12-2014
I would call the drs office myself and ask how they determine whether or not it's contagious? Because typically viruses ARE contagious and you have 4 other kids sent home sick with the same symptoms after this child and now with infectious symptoms and on antibiotics.
craftymissbeth 11:17 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I would call the drs office myself and ask how they determine whether or not it's contagious? Because typically viruses ARE contagious and you have 4 other kids sent home sick with the same symptoms after this child and now with infectious symptoms and on antibiotics.
Exactly. If it's a virus and it's not contagious how did he contract it in the first place?
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Exactly. If it's a virus and it's not contagious how did he contract it in the first place?
It's a specific type of illness that can ONLY be found in daycares

It's very common in daycares but is RARELY found outside of daycare.

For some reason schools, clinics, McD's and Wal-Mart do NOT carry this virus.

You MUST attend a daycare in order to catch it.

TwinKristi 03:47 PM 03-12-2014
You know mom told the dr he needs to go back to daycare so she can work and the they figured he's already exposed everyone so why not just go back to daycare. That's where having a SYMPTOM exclusion regardless of a drs note matters. The dr is obvious an idiot to even write such a note "non contagious virus" It's just ridiculous. This is exactly how illnesses spread in daycare.
spud912 03:52 PM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's a specific type of illness that can ONLY be found in daycares

It's very common in daycares but is RARELY found outside of daycare.

For some reason schools, clinics, McD's and Wal-Mart do NOT carry this virus.

You MUST attend a daycare in order to catch it.

You forgot to mention that the illness only spreads one way and it's always to your child and can never spread to another child, which is why your child does not need to be excluded.
Cradle2crayons 03:53 PM 03-12-2014
I'm surprised the doc didn't just write it was nothing but "allergies" or "teething" lol
Tags:24/48, dope and drop, dope; drop, enforcing policies - consistency, exclusion, exclusions, illness policy, provider accountability
Reply Up